• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nuno Tavares: The False #3

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't believe in hitting on players in these threads. Arteta bought him and Arteta tells him how to play. The lad's trying his best.
Agreed, but something tells me this isn't an Arteta signing and more of an Edu-spesh.

There's just no way Arteta would know about him. At best Arteta probably saw a 6"1 two footed lb/wingback along with some other numbers and picked him out of a list.

That's the only scenario that would make him sort of an Arteta buy. The early subs and playing Xhaka and Tomi lb tells me what I need to know really. Compare this to say, Willian or someone.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Agreed, but something tells me this isn't an Arteta signing and more of an Edu-spesh.

There's just no way Arteta would know about him. At best Arteta probably saw a 6"1 two footed lb/wingback along with some other numbers and picked him out of a list.

That's the only scenario that would make him sort of an Arteta buy. The early subs and playing Xhaka and Tomi lb tells me what I need to know really. Compare this to say, Willian or someone.
Could be bro. Not sure of the dynamics of the working partnership between Edu and Arteta, who's batman and who's Robin?

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Interesting interview, worth the watch.

D

Deleted member 102404

First stint this season was very good.
He looked excellent.
I actually think he deserved to keep his place ahead of Tierney at that point.
Second stint, the less said the better, although he did actually do ok vs Newcastle and Everton.
Hopefully he can learn from the mistakes he made this season. Too many times running into trouble and losing the ball, too many times blind passes when under pressure giving the ball away.
Those can be fixed quickly.
More difficult to fix is the positional sense.

mpower2540

Another dud signed by the dud of a manager.
We got the guy for what 8m? Against Everton he showed he has real attacking potential but he’s not trusted. He’s extremely raw but I think there’s something to work with. I’m pretty sure he’s the next player to get thrown to the wolves anyway while we go and spend more money on defenders we don’t need.

I think he’s been way better than people believe and had he been managed properly Tierney’s absence really wouldn’t have been as big of an issue.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I don't know why people get so triggered by these 'punt' signings. I think Man City have seriously skewed everyone's views with their squad full of £30m+ players.

Wenger made loads of these types of signings, some were spectacular, some were decent squad players and some were barely rememberable.

He clearly has great physical attributes, some talent but is raw as hell, if we can polish him we get a good player for a knock down price, if we can't then we aren't going to lose much.

We are 6 years out of the Champions League and have 5-6 teams who can outspend us so we need to take these sort of gambles.

mpower2540

People did point out that it seemed like Xhaka was focusing on coaching Tavares through the game. I guess this is as good a confirmation as any.
This is why I don't think we should be wasting money on bringing in another LB this summer. Your midfield is so important it can help out by protecting your fullback positions. Tavares is fast and has lots of physical advantages but clearly has concentration issues. Now I'm not saying he's anywhere close to TAA but Henderson does a lot of donkey work for Trent to minimize his defensive deficiencies.

Give him someone that can help him out and he's a perfectly fine understudy for Tierney imo. Our midfield and attack should be where the money goes this summer.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
This is why I don't think we should be wasting money on bringing in another LB this summer. Your midfield is so important it can help out by protecting your fullback positions. Tavares is fast and has lots of physical advantages but clearly has concentration issues. Now I'm not saying he's anywhere close to TAA but Henderson does a lot of donkey work for Trent to minimize his defensive deficiencies.

Give him someone that can help him out and he's a perfectly fine understudy for Tierney imo. Our midfield and attack should be where the money goes this summer.
Also if/when needed Tomi can cover left back if Tavares is having a mare.

I think full back is an issue as both our first choice players seem to be made of glass.

But I agree with you in the sense we have more important areas. This summer we should be working front to back. 2 forwards, then a CM, then we can look at other areas. But the first 3 signings have to be top players.

mpower2540

Also if/when needed Tomi can cover left back if Tavares is having a mare.

I think full back is an issue as both our first choice players seem to be made of glass.

But I agree with you in the sense we have more important areas. This summer we should be working front to back. 2 forwards, then a CM, then we can look at other areas. But the first 3 signings have to be top players.
The only reason I'd be investing in FB would be if Tierney is sold. I'd get 2 CM's personally and 2/3 attackers, though getting 3 attackers sounds a bit farfetched I really want to up our attacking power as scoring goals can mask an unsteady defense. As much as I love him we cannot afford to go into another season where a Partey injury completely ****s our midfield. We don't just miss him from a progressive standpoint we miss his defensive/tackling ability. Left 8 is the other but I'm pretty sure it'll be Tielemans.

Over time if we want to challenge for a title in the near future yes I agree fullbacks will probably need attention but not now.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I need the scapegoats to go this summer and he is one of them, sorry.

One of the scapegoats got extended so I am not off to a great start.
Tavares, Laca, Nketiah, Pepe, (ideally Xhaka as well tbh but not happening) - need to go in order for Arteta to be ever judged properly.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The only reason I'd be investing in FB would be if Tierney is sold. I'd get 2 CM's personally and 2/3 attackers, though getting 3 attackers sounds a bit farfetched I really want to up our attacking power as scoring goals can mask an unsteady defense. As much as I love him we cannot afford to go into another season where a Partey injury completely ****s our midfield. We don't just miss him from a progressive standpoint we miss his defensive/tackling ability. Left 8 is the other but I'm pretty sure it'll be Tielemans.

Over time if we want to challenge for a title in the near future yes I agree fullbacks will probably need attention but not now.
Yeah for me there's option and bargains in the market this year due to contracts.

Bissouma+Teilemans+Jesus could be got for 100m. If we were talking even a year ago you would be looking at paying closer to 150m.

That covers midfield and one striking position. Add maybe a pure number 9 then you've got those 3 above plus another striker for 150m. Hickey makes it 170m spend and Saliba back. Selling Leno, Guendouzi, Pepe would probably get us 40m. So a total of 130m and we would have decent improvement and compeition.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I need the scapegoats to go this summer and he is one of them, sorry.

One of the scapegoats got extended so I am not off to a great start.

Not really a scapegoat more like evidence of Arteta's failures. He's a bad signing.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Not really a scapegoat more like evidence of Arteta's failures. He's a bad signing.
I'm actually not convinced Arteta signed him nor urged anybody at the club to sign him. At best he said I need LB cover and was presented with this.

He went out of his way to show us all this guy is bad, with his early subs and starting Xhaka in his position out of desperation. I don't think he does that to his hand picked buys.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I'm actually not convinced Arteta signed him nor urged anybody at the club to sign him. At best he said I need LB cover and was presented with this.

He went out of his way to show us all this guy is bad, with his early subs and starting Xhaka in his position out of desperation. I don't think he does that to his hand picked buys.

He can do that because he knows he can scapegoat Edu. He took the bragging rights at Willian's signing, so he was responsible in the eyes of the world, whereas last summer's signings it was Edu who was the face in the media, and will be blamed if they go wrong, just like you're doing now.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Whether Arteta was responsible for Tavares' signing or not, credit and criticism must rightfully be aimed at Arteta. He is the manager.

Onto Tavares. He is a decent signing for the price paid, still quite young and can play a role for us going forward. Arteta has to figure out how to use him effectively and I think he will, just like Arteta redefined Xhaka's role and positioning in our current starting XI.

Top Bottom