• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nuno Tavares: The False #3

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Tierney has been complete trash in our bigger games though, leaving huge gaps behind him and not having the power to track back once he's bombed forward.

All to lump a sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe sh*t cross which none of our forwards are going to do much with.

Reece James in particular had a great time against him. Was the same story in City as well. I really wished Tierney played yesterday so people would see it wouldn't have made a lick of difference and maybe we can stop perpetuating certain myths on here.
As in Tierney got dropped partly due to his early season form combined with Tavares’ form. Most people are expecting Tierney to bounce back because of what he has shown at the club. Man City and Chelsea games are a bit of a stretch also considering how bad we were across the pitch and especially in defence. Tavares would have looked like a deer in headlights defensively in those games albeit giving more in our attack.

And when it comes to crossing/end product, Tierney is much better than Tavares. He really needs to improve his crossing if he’s gonna be a finished article. Way too many have gone for goal kicks or skipped the box and gone all the way to our right wing.

Tavares definitely wins on dribbling and carrying the ball, as well as power. But he’s got some way to go to be a reliable defender you trust to not make silly mistakes. It’s early days, and there’s no rush playing him all the time right now.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If we are winning games, especially tough or away games and Nuno isn't a t LB...he should be who we sub on to the wing, tbh.

He has the naturally energy to provide cover for Tierney, plus he is also good going forward.

Though I think the reason Eddie is getting subbed on so much now, is we are trying to convince either him or Laca, to stay as back up next season...looks to me like we are definitely trying to sell Auba.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Think if this guy is coached correctly his ceiling is frighteningly high. It looked too easy for him last night which actually contributed to a couple of sloppy passes/moments. But when he’s intense and concentrated he looks awesome
I like this player a lot but has been prone to sloppy moments regardless of how easy or hard the game is to be honest. We haven't seen him in the first team since that incident when him and Partey combined to screw up that throw in leading to conceding a goal. Mikel never forgets! 😝

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Think if this guy is coached correctly his ceiling is frighteningly high. It looked too easy for him last night which actually contributed to a couple of sloppy passes/moments. But when he’s intense and concentrated he looks awesome
He has a really high ceiling (higher than Tierney’s) but also a lower floor. So he needs to be coached correctly and have the right mindset. If he comes good we have a very big asset on our hands.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Didn't see the match, but sounds like he was very good, assist too.

If we play ESR at LW, Nuno is the better fullback to play...if we play Gabby, it's Tierney...we have got some really good/different options all over the pitch now, really like this current squad.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
He has a really high ceiling (higher than Tierney’s) but also a lower floor. So he needs to be coached correctly and have the right mindset. If he comes good we have a very big asset on our hands.
That`s a good way to describe him. Gave away the ball very easily last night and had some very poor passes. But his power, pace and confidence on the ball is superb, could be a monster of a full back with.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Anyone remember when Wenger used to have two good left/right backs he used to put both of them on and deploy one as a winger? 😝

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I like this guy. Yes he makes mistakes but he has the hallmarks of a real baller. He was even drifting in to CM last night and looking right at home there too.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I wonder if it would ever be possible to use him and Tierney like City use Walker and Cancelo.

I know both of them are considerably worse than the City pair but City essentially deploy Walker RB and Cancelo on his alternative side but with a free role. He therefore joins areas like midfield and the wings while Walker tucks in a bit more and acts more conservatively (when he does attack, it is on the flank like a traditional fullback rather than central areas).

Considering Tavares is both footed, he can easily start on the right hand side and just sometimes drift into wherever he wants. Tierney imo is better when he picks and chooses his runs anyway rather than being an out and out wingback, so it would work quite well. Tierney was a threat when he was a left sided centre back in a 3, and would pick out Auba's LW inside runs, which Martinelli could easily do. It would be a similar role in this system, as well as having his dangerous overlaps and crosses.

Of course, Tavares would need to develop a bigger football brain to do this, which is the biggest thing in its way.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I wonder if it would ever be possible to use him and Tierney like City use Walker and Cancelo.

I know both of them are considerably worse than the City pair but City essentially deploy Walker RB and Cancelo on his alternative side but with a free role. He therefore joins areas like midfield and the wings while Walker tucks in a bit more and acts more conservatively (when he does attack, it is on the flank like a traditional fullback rather than central areas).

Considering Tavares is both footed, he can easily start on the right hand side and just sometimes drift into wherever he wants. Tierney imo is better when he picks and chooses his runs anyway rather than being an out and out wingback, so it would work quite well. Tierney was a threat when he was a left sided centre back in a 3, and would pick out Auba's LW inside runs, which Martinelli could easily do. It would be a similar role in this system, as well as having his dangerous overlaps and crosses.

Of course, Tavares would need to develop a bigger football brain to do this, which is the biggest thing in its way.

No chance of working imo. Tierney and Nuno and are both up and down fullbacks, you need them hugging the touchline. Given Tomi is essentially a 3rd CB, this suits us. Cancelo is an amazing footballer, he's got the skill and intelligence of top midfielders, which allows him to perform that role imo.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Well Im sure he will be coached very well here under Arteta & the team.

He looks to have real potential.

Lets not forget though Its very much down to the player to be totally dedicated to being a pro at one of the greatest football clubs on the planet.

He is poor at times defensively & can be sloppy which is kinda was was said about him when he joined tbf.

He is a great watch & Im sure he will get minutes but still backup for KT.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
No chance of working imo. Tierney and Nuno and are both up and down fullbacks, you need them hugging the touchline. Given Tomi is essentially a 3rd CB, this suits us. Cancelo is an amazing footballer, he's got the skill and intelligence of top midfielders, which allows him to perform that role imo.
Technically though Tavares is sensational at close control dribbling at times. He is very early in his development as well.

But yeah, its a long shot. I do think Tierney is better when he isn't pinned on the opposition's right back though. He's one footed and isn't the best tight control dribbler.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Technically though Tavares is sensational at close control dribbling at times. He is very early in his development as well.

But yeah, its a long shot. I do think Tierney is better when he isn't pinned on the opposition's right back though. He's one footed and isn't the best tight control dribbler.

It's more a mental thing for me. When you watch Tavares he looks like the typical flying fullback, I don't think he has the mindset of a midfielder unlike Cancelo.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He's one footed and isn't the best tight control dribbler.
Not something I've ever expected from my leftback to be honest and I will never hold that against Tierney. He has frustrated me with his cross spam but there are many factors that lead to that happening and I suspect a lot of them are not his fault.

Agreed though, Tierney is better overall - a bit more measured about what he does in all sections of the pitch. His maturity is more valuable to this young squad at this stage of the squad building.

The stuff Tavares (and Tomiyasu) brings is clearly a very Arteta specific thing though, I imagine it's a lot closer to how he imagined his football long term. I thought Tavares was a quick flip but the scouting seems very deliberate in hindsight.

mpower2540

I like this player a lot but has been prone to sloppy moments regardless of how easy or hard the game is to be honest. We haven't seen him in the first team since that incident when him and Partey combined to screw up that throw in leading to conceding a goal. Mikel never forgets! 😝
Yeah it’s a concentration issue. Funnily Arteta could be perfect for him in this regard since he seems a perfectionist. What he could be really excites me!

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I think he's going to be a great player. Keeps reminding me a little bit of Marcelo.

Still has a long way to go...
I been saying he is a bigger version of Marcelo. I hope he can play enough and develops in the defensive part of the game. With Marcelo you never knew what he was going to do with the ball

Latest posts+

Top Bottom