• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I bashed him as a starter, can't deny that, even know I think he'll be a poor starter, but as a back up I have always championed him.

Glad he's staying.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

There were a lot of great moments in our game against Leicester. I think my favorite was just before his winning goal. He moved behind the defence and laid it off perfectly for the Lacazette chance that resulted in the corner that we scored from. I really liked that bit of movement and interchanging between our attackers.

Aevi

Hale End FC
His heading is on another level, it's insane how much power and accuracy he manages to get from it. I could definitely see him hit consistent 20+ goals for a team that played to his strengths more, he's made for set pieces and crosses. It's nice that we've found utility for him in our Wengerball system though, he's come up big for us many times. Shame that he had to hit a drought when we needed him most though, the season Leicester won the league. It's possible those games were the difference.

Hopefully this season is different... hopefully.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
This guy is a ****ing beast. Going level up, again. But this time, on top of that, we as a team have a perfect striker in Laca to suite our style, which will only make Giroud look even better.
I've spent 15 minutes yeaterday looking at a picture of him and Alex. Made me feel happy, and got some memories out of our previous French strikers...
New formation made us use crosses more. No more do we think should we cross just to opt for other decission, as rhis rime around we actually cross as soon as the good option opens up.
Great player Giroud is, love our attack

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I wonder how many goals he would score at Utd...would have become a legend under Moyes.

For us, this is his best utility, coming off the bench, with Özil and Ox pinging in the crosses for him.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
His heading is on another level, it's insane how much power and accuracy he manages to get from it. I could definitely see him hit consistent 20+ goals for a team that played to his strengths more, he's made for set pieces and crosses. It's nice that we've found utility for him in our Wengerball system though, he's come up big for us many times. Shame that he had to hit a drought when we needed him most though, the season Leicester won the league. It's possible those games were the difference.

Hopefully this season is different... hopefully.
I haven't quite forgiven him for that drought, and the celebration when he finally scored when we were out of all competitions, you'd think he'd scored the winning goal in a WC.

Last edited:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Still don't rate or like him as a starter, but as a sub he's perfect really.

Probably the best backup ST off the bench in the league.

say yes

forum master baiter
I prefer mobile forwards and a strong argument can be made for us performing better overall with Welbeck--or any quick mobile forward--leading the line over Giroud. I don't believe there is room for Welbeck anymore though, with the arrival of Lacazette. I very much doubt we'll see him much more of Welbeck when Alexis returns tbh.

Been surprised at how good he has looked in the 10 role in this new formation, and seems like he is the number one backup there for Arsène.

Add the Cup competetions in and Welbz will still get a lot of minutes I think.

Imagine our bench will look like this for most of the season:

Ospina - Holding - Ox/Bellerin - Coquelin - Elneny - Welbeck - Giroud.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Still don't rate or like him as a starter, but as a sub he's perfect really.

Probably the best backup ST off the bench in the league.
No probably about it. He is the best backup in the league.

Not sure why this forum is either ice cold or boiling hot. There were literally like 5 of us who have said all along that Giroud is not of the quality to start but is too good to be on the bench. The rest of the forum were either "He's absolute garbage" or "He's the best striker in the world". FFS AM!

Enjoy this lads! We won't have this much firepower forever.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Seeing everyone in (relative) harmony on this thread makes me feel like we have achieved world peace or solved the Palestine issue.....well until the next game of course.

marting

The defensive side of his game is very under rated as well, he doesnt chase around like a Sanchez but when it comes to defending set pieces he really helps us out. Those throw ins to the box wouldnt have been such a problem with Ollie there. I think because of this he will start against Stoke.

say yes

forum master baiter
Not sure why this forum is either ice cold or boiling hot. There were literally like 5 of us who have said all along that Giroud is not of the quality to start but is too good to be on the bench. The rest of the forum were either "He's absolute garbage" or "He's the best striker in the world". FFS AM!

Enjoy this lads! We won't have this much firepower forever.

Who were the 5? Because that literally doesn't make any sense.

You can't be both not good enough to start and too good to be on the bench.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've wanted us to sell Giroud for as long as I can remember, and the fact that he's staying this season would normally annoy me, but right now I'm okay with it.

I'm fine with him staying because we have Lacazette and Welbeck, and we aren't in the Champions League.

After one game Lacazette clearly looks like the type of player that we need, and Welbeck always puts in a good shift for the team. Both of these guys should consistently start over Giroud, and he can continue to be the super sub that any team would like to have.

His size and strength at the end of games once the defenders are getting tired is a deadly weapon.

Also, if he's begging to start some matches we can play him in the Europa League and the League Cup. He should be able to dominate in both of those leagues.

This season so long as we keep Alexis and don't have a major injury crisis at striker, Giroud should be able to get decent minutes, score goals, and never be considered the starting striker for us.

He isn't good enough to lead us to the championship as a striker, but he can definitely win us some points as a super sub.

One of my favorite. Always gave him hard time because I never felt he suited our game. But always my favorite.

Our best striker at the moment. Will be vital at start of the season. Hopefully Lacazette will show more by when Giroud form dips like it always do. Lacazette can then take over until Giroud find some form again and become our best striker again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom