• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

Thread title could probably use some work...

Anyway, lets try and discuss Giroud and what he offers and what he lacks rather than immediately break out into competing tribes.

I think it's clear he's a player limited by his relative lack of mobility and penchant for wasting easier chances than he should. But he works extremely hard, and offers a fairly dominant aerial presence that has really improved our threat from crosses and set pieces. Without him we are basically toothless from those. And on form he is a pretty deadly striker who can create some really special moments, both scoring and assisting.

When he's off his game he really goes off though, and there's no doubt once he's off he offers very little due to how he plays. Personally I hope we start to see Theo rotate back in at CF to compliment Giroud and offer us something different up top. Giroud has shown he can be effective from the bench as well, and maybe a run back at CF will help Theo turn things around for himself as well.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

18 goals in all comps by January. Brilliant season so far, especially considering around 6 weeks of which he spent looking at Theo start as a CF for us. He's rarely ever injured unless he breaks something and he's ridiculously mentally strong. He's gone from "never scoring in the big games" to arguably being one of our most reliable big game performers.

I still prefer our attack with Theo up front as it makes us much more fluid I feel, however his contribution to the team cannot be understated. He's got better every season he's been here and he's become much more valuable to the squad every year too. Once he was a liability, now he's someone who we constantly look to in games that we're seriously struggling in.

Also there's the point of his defending on set pieces which seems rather vital especially against teams who're fairly potent in the air.

Viva Giroud!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Wenger "you have to credit players like Olivier because he does not have a direct competitor but he improves every year"
"if you look at Giroud, every year he has improved, with critics in France and England and he just gets on with his job"
"but this does not mean I will overlook one of my players for someone who is valued to be £50m by the media"

Gooner_girl14

He's really exploded this season, and I think Walcott being preferred to him earlier in the season has just forced him to be a better player. Atm he's undroppable and has delivered in some of our biggest games. His improvement is a welcome surprise, so much so that I'm now somewhat shocked when he doesn't get on the score sheet.

Sweggeh

Well said Tir Na Nog.

I love Giroud. When he missed that sitter last night, you just knew he would make up for it. Just like when he scored an own goal vs Sunderland, and then put us in front. Or when he got sent off against Zagreb and then singlehandedly dragged us through to the last 16 in Greece. The guy has an iron will and balls of steel.

Will go down as an Arsenal legend when it is all said and done in my opinion.

Gooner_girl14

Wenger "you have to credit players like Olivier because he does not have a direct competitor but he improves every year"
"if you look at Giroud, every year he has improved, with critics in France and England and he just gets on with his job"
"but this does not mean I will overlook one of my players for someone who is valued to be £50m by the media"

Wenger should definitely be proud of what he's achieved with Giroud, but I hope he's not saying that he's not considering looking to strengthen in the CF position. Don't think we have to break the bank for Benzema, but someone of similar quality to Giroud (with more pace) is still needed IMO, particularly as Walcott and Welbeck are somewhat prone to injury.

Gooner_girl14

I love Giroud. When he missed that sitter last night, you just knew he would make up for it. Just like when he scored an own goal vs Sunderland, and then put us in front. Or when he got sent off against Zagreb and then singlehandedly dragged us through to the last 16 in Greece. The guy has an iron will and balls of steel.

Showed similar mettle against Liverpool too as we went behind twice; scoring the second equaliser then put us in front.

In the past,I've questioned his mental strength and attitude as he has often looked like a sulking baby when things aren't going his way, but now he's redirecting his frustration in a more positive way.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He scores goals at a healthy rate and he was outstanding value for money. He's clearly very important to the team, whether you like it or not.

I'm not a fan of strikers in the mold of Giroud, but as I've said before: if he's scoring goals and playing to his optimum, then it's very difficult to criticise.

Are there better out there? Yes. Will paying an extra £30m on top of what he cost guarantee a similar return? Far from it.

blaze_of_glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom