• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm76

Yer Da
Think it would have been 2-0 or 3-0 for us with Welbeck pressing.

or Lucas - he'd have helped create and take more good chances and given their defence a lot more to think about - replacing Welbz with Giroud was just plain dumb, and speaks volumes about how Wenger's player preferences have little to do with ability or form

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
or Lucas - he'd have helped create and take more good chances and given their defence a lot more to think about - replacing Welbz with Giroud was just plain dumb, and speaks volumes about how Wenger's player preferences have little to do with ability or form
Theo is keeping Lucas on the bench, and didn't Welbz got sick earlier this week?

StefanB

Good player coming off the bench when we need a goal or when we need to rest our main striker. But my God he's useless when he starts for us. Barely wins any headers, hold-up play is non-exisistant and his passing is so so so poor. He averages a passing accuracy of around 67% for us over all seasons and in all competitions.

For a "big guy with great hold-up play" it's obviously not so great. Actully it's pretty damn bad.

Good backup. But thats it.. which I've been saying since 2012 when we bought him.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Time for Welbeck to get his shot and run of games up top for me but I'd happily keep the big man around next season as a squad player. I think the formation we played last night will work in his favor

I agree with that. I have been a Giroud fan for a while but his time as a starter is up (has been up for a yr now tbf). I hope Welbeck can stay healthy and play a string of games. Welbeck and healthy though don't seem to rhyme!

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I agree with that. I have been a Giroud fan for a while but his time as a starter is up (has been up for a yr now tbf). I hope Welbeck can stay healthy and play a string of games. Welbeck and healthy though don't seem to rhyme!

I like the idea of Giroud as an impact player but replacing him with Welbeck...I mean Welbeck has some nice qualities like stamina, power and pace but he's never been a goal scorer.

We really need another top attacker.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I like the idea of Giroud as an impact player but replacing him with Welbeck...I mean Welbeck has some nice qualities like stamina, power and pace but he's never been a goal scorer.

Giroud isn't good enough to start but we know we'll get our 15 goals a season (and a defensive contribution ;)). I wouldn't trust Theo or Welbeck to stay fit for a full season nevermind be certain they would consistently match his basic contribution as starters or subs.

Medly

I actually think Welbeck needs a real consistent run of games through the middle. I agree I dont think he will ever be a real prolific goal machine (though for England he does OK) but he probably is a clinical as Giroud but with more qualities that bring the best out of our play, where Giroud tends to make us very static.

I also still scratch my head and think how is it that Sanchez who really brought the best
out of our play early season until Giroud was brought back) is now pushed back out to the left wing where it is far easier for the opposition to negate his play than through middle. Sign of m*&%ess Mr Wenger?

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Giroud isn't good enough to start but we know we'll get our 15 goals a season (and a defensive contribution ;)). I wouldn't trust Theo or Welbeck to stay fit for a full season nevermind be certain they would consistently match his basic contribution as starters or subs.

Theo has proven he is a goal scorer. He may not contribute much in general play but he knows where the goals are. He already has 15 goals for us I believe. His injury record though. Always a worry.

carlito'sway

Established Member

I have said this last summer and, imo, it is still is valid. We need a goal scorer/ playmaker on the wings. That would alleviate some of our scoring issues.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I have said this last summer and, imo, it is still is valid. We need a goal scorer/ playmaker on the wings. That would alleviate some of our scoring issues.

Not to mention taking the pressure off Alexis. We wouldn't even need a prolific goal scorer, someone like Douglas Costa who doesn't have a lot of end product but would ensure that Alexis is not marked out of the game. Having a dribbler like that would transform us.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Theo has proven he is a goal scorer. He may not contribute much in general play but he knows where the goals are. He already has 15 goals for us I believe. His injury record though. Always a worry.
I should have said league goals. Double figures once for Theo and I'm not sure about Welbeck. The 100 goals "celebration" was deceiving. It's less than 70 PL goals in almost 11 years! Henry did the job of almost 4 men :(

Giroud

Established Member
Not to mention taking the pressure off Alexis. We wouldn't even need a prolific goal scorer, someone like Douglas Costa who doesn't have a lot of end product but would ensure that Alexis is not marked out of the game. Having a dribbler like that would transform us.

We have that in Ox who also started showing that end product earlier in the year from outwide but everyone wants him to play central.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I should have said league goals. Double figures once for Theo and I'm not sure about Welbeck. The 100 goals "celebration" was deceiving. It's less than 70 PL goals in almost 11 years! Henry did the job of almost 4 men :(

Unfair comparison.....lol
Having said that, Theo's stats flatter to deceive. If he was a 15 goals/yr scorer, that would have been a better ROI and help mask his many deficiencies, but not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom