• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIceman85

I would keep him for one. Not an elite level striker but it's always good to have a target man option in the squad. If we let him go for £20m we'd have to spend more than that to replace him with a player of equal quality so what's the point?

Keep him as squad player and invest in a first choice striker and then we have Giroud and Welbeck as backup which offer different tactical options.

Not comparing the two players here but take Kanu as an example. Was never a top level player but played a part in our squad offering a different option from the bench. But if he was our first choice striker the fans might have been calling for him to be sold because he would never have been consistent enough for that role.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I would keep him for one. Not an elite level striker but it's always good to have a target man option in the squad. If we let him go for £20m we'd have to spend more than that to replace him with a player of equal quality so what's the point?

Keep him as squad player and invest in a first choice striker and then we have Giroud and Welbeck as backup which offer different tactical options.

Not comparing the two players here but take Kanu as an example. Was never a top level player but played a part in our squad offering a different option from the bench. But if he was our first choice striker the fans might have been calling for him to be sold because he would never have been consistent enough for that role.

Two things I don't believe are the case but happy to be proved wrong;

1) Giroud won't accept being an impact player from the bench
2) Wenger won't be able to resist using Giroud again just to keep him happy, despite us playing perfectly well without him (see first few weeks of season with Alexis at CF, interrupted by defeat at Everton and Giroud's return from injury)

RoadrunnerReloaded

I've come round on him, people making out like he's Bendtner or Sanogo.

I have no problem with him behind Alexis in the pecking order for striker. Yes he's not world class but he still scores a lot of goals for us.

He also goes on many game goal droughts and his style doesn't mesh the best with Sanchez and Özil.
Its a classic case of 'the good' being the worst enemy of 'greatness' as the wages we give him prevent us getting an upgrade who suits our other player's styles better.

TheIceman85

Wenger has already said that Alexis has asked to play LW and not ST, so we can forget about that one. It's Welbeck or Giroud for the rest of the season until hopefully we sign someone in the summer.

say yes

forum master baiter
Wenger has already said that Alexis has asked to play LW and not ST, so we can forget about that one. It's Welbeck or Giroud for the rest of the season until hopefully we sign someone in the summer.

Seemed pretty clear to be when Welbeck came on against City that Alexis prefers to play up front.

Ashybashy86

Seemed pretty clear to be when Welbeck came on against City that Alexis prefers to play up front.
Wenger said the other day that Alexis prefers to play on the wing because he gets more of the ball. He does like to dribble, but he was get more chances and scoring more goals playing up front.

Not sure what to believe.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger said the other day that Alexis prefers to play on the wing because he gets more of the ball. He does like to dribble, but he was get more chances and scoring more goals playing up front.

Not sure what to believe.

I very much doubt that's what he meant. A substantial amount of work goes into chasing opposition rightbacks when playing on the wing. Alexis is the kind of player who'll play anywhere but I'm sure he just wanted to say he just wants to be involved as much as possible, sometimes to a fault.

Marmaduke

I remember my Portuguese buddy getting nervous in the Euro when Giroud got subbed on just because of his size and ability on corners.

It certainly adds a different threat to us. If all we had were quick technical strikers we can be easily nullified. If you properly man mark or double up on even the best of players you can take the threat out. A giant dude getting on the end of corners you can't really do much at the end of the day.

I am all for having an Andy Carrol type for when things simply don't work out and you have to pump balls into the box against teams that park the bus. (Speaking of Carrol, theres an example of a big guy who causes us trouble consistently and makes us sweat despite him not being all that great a player)

We can't compete against a top tier team arguably with him leading the line, but for the 80 percent of teams below us he is absolutely fine.

mm76

Yer Da
I remember my Portuguese buddy getting nervous in the Euro when Giroud got subbed on just because of his size and ability on corners.

It certainly adds a different threat to us. If all we had were quick technical strikers we can be easily nullified. If you properly man mark or double up on even the best of players you can take the threat out. A giant dude getting on the end of corners you can't really do much at the end of the day.

I am all for having an Andy Carrol type for when things simply don't work out and you have to pump balls into the box against teams that park the bus.

We can't compete against a top tier team arguably with him leading the line, but for the 80 percent of teams below us he is absolutely fine.

the one thing i'd say is that our corners are so bad that we haven't always taken advantage of his height but even then, recently his attempts at headers have been as bad as the rest of his game - he's not as big a threat as Carroll - teams might look worried when he comes on but after 5 minutes they realise they can run rings around him

earlier in the season i'd say he'd worked really hard to be the best he could but i still don't think he really works, certainly not as any more than a sub and the trouble is we have few strikers on our books

also tbh i think you're underestimating the teams below us - they're pretty well organised these days and can keep tabs on him. He didn't even look a threat against Lincoln - says it all really

So I'd say we sell while his stats are ok and we can get £20m-£30m

say yes

forum master baiter
If anyone still needs a reason for wanting Wenger out, this useless sack of **** has been playing for us for five seasons now.

Absolute disgrace today, as he has been for 95% of his Arsenal career.

Malky

Established Member
We would of looked no different with Sanogo leading the line, Girolud was that bad. To think of some of the brilliant CF's this clubs had and we've had this donkey as our 'main man' for 5 years....
Send him back to France in the summer.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Since switching to 3 at the back Giroud has put in three completely unacceptable performances. The odd knockdown and flick isn't good enough.

I love Oli, but his time with us has to come to an end this summer. Isn't good enough to start and he could walk into other clubs around Europe. Cash in while he still has decent value, he's 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom