• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sanchez is a wide forward and creator, so comparing them is a moot point.

We're talking about league goals because we want to win the league.
I am comparing how stats was altered to match argument.
say yes is a master in using partial stats to support his argument. If he wants to be impartial at least, he should have include all competitions goal record.

If I want to argue, I would revert back how no one ever discuss how dry our midfield/reserve strikers in 2015-2016 when Giroud and Sanchez produced 44% of our total goals. Note only those 2 players reached double digit goals and only 4 players (including strikers) who reached above 5 goals - incredibly dire - so when Sanchez injured + Giroud went blank = 0 goal threat

This season is better with 4 players reached double digits in goals, with Theo and Sanchez on top form. Other than those 4 there are 12 others who scored at least a goal with 10 of them are not strikers. The worrying factor is only 1 non striker player who reach 5 goals and above (AoC)

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I am comparing how stats was altered to match argument.
say yes is a master in using partial stats to support his argument. If he wants to be impartial at least, he should have include all competitions goal record.

If I want to argue, I would revert back how no one ever discuss how dry our midfield/reserve strikers in 2015-2016 when Giroud and Sanchez produced 44% of our total goals. Note only those 2 players reached double digit goals and only 4 players (including strikers) who reached above 5 goals - incredibly dire - so when Sanchez injured + Giroud went blank = 0 goal threat

This season is better with 4 players reached double digits in goals, with Theo and Sanchez on top form. Other than those 4 there are 12 others who scored at least a goal with 10 of them are not strikers. The worrying factor is only 1 non striker player who reach 5 goals and above (AoC)

No one cares about scoring against Southampton U/18 tbh

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He actually thinks he's doing well on the goal scoring front?

He's honestly happy with about 16 league goals a season? Surprising. :confused:

skip spence

He actually thinks he's doing well on the goal scoring front?

He's honestly happy with about 16 league goals a season? Surprising. :confused:
If you look at his goals per 90 minutes he has very good numbers, not only this past season. Olivier is right, he is a good goal scorer. Not one of the very best, but still, very good.

DerDeutscheMann

WurzlSepp Mark 2
If you look at his goals per 90 minutes he has very good numbers, not only this past season. Olivier is right, he is a good goal scorer. Not one of the very best, but still, very good.

Problem is most ppl nowadays lost their connection to reality and only cling to some surreal world created by the media.

There is only world class and ****. When Giroud says he is a good goal scorer those ppl understand: I am world class and because he is not, they want to tell us he is bad.

skip spence

How about you show us Giroud goal per minute in last 5 seasons?
At one point, probable this season, I saw that statistic and Giroud was high up the chart, ahead of several much more celebrated strikers. Just googled for it but couldn't find it, so no. Not that bothered either, I'm not OG's defense attorney. But fex Squawka has the numbers I believe, you just gotta dig them up.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I thought I never seen anyone miss a point as far as you....

Like flying to bomb Hiroshima, but ending up bombing Baghdad

Don't care what your point was really.

All comps goals scored is full of **** in my opinion because the quality of opposition varies greatly in cup competitions.

League goals scored and to an extent CL goals are the main indicator of a strikers goal scoring ability, and in the league, Giroud has never been able to better a pitiful 16 goals.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't care what your point was really.

All comps goals scored is full of **** in my opinion because the quality of opposition varies greatly in cup competitions.

League goals scored and to an extent CL goals are the main indicator of a strikers goal scoring ability, and in the league, Giroud has never been able to better a pitiful 16 goals.
going to the stats, CL & FA Cup are exactly where the rest of his goals.... perfectly valid addition to all competition goals.

You can't just cut out stuff whatever you want. If you cut out variables that you don't like whatever you want that stat tampering, cause different results appear
i.e
Theo scored 19 goals this season. Only 10 in the league. You don't cut out the other 9 goals and claimed he scored only 10 goals.... he scored 19 goals with only 10 in the league.
So did Sanchez, he scored 30 goals, not 24 goals.
Özil's goal versus Ludogoretz should not be included in Arsenal goal of year because quality of the opponent.

Of course you don't care about any point, cause you don't have any intent of discussion.
TLDR : Giroud is bad, and you don't care about anything else

karl

Top scorer twice in his time at the club and almost 100 goals. All some "fans" can do is knock a player who gave his best.

There is definitely a good call for an upgrade, but I for one appreciate him taking us through some tough years.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

skip spence

How about you show us Giroud goal per minute in last 5 seasons?
Okay, the only reason I did this is because it's more fun than the schoolwork I was supposed to do. But here we go, this is the statistics of minutes played per goal in the premier league the past three seasons for a pretty random set of striker (but all rated well above Giroud by the majority).

Harry Kane 113 min / goal (75/8475)
Olivier Giroud 131 min / goal (42/5495)
Diego Costa 145 min / goal (52/7526)
Romelu Lukaku 175 min / goal (53/9308)

*Source: Squawka

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Okay, the only reason I did this is because it's more fun than the schoolwork I was supposed to do. But here we go, this is the statistics of minutes played per goal in the premier league the past three seasons for a pretty random set of striker (but all rated well above Giroud by the majority).

Harry Kane 113 min / goal (75/8475)
Olivier Giroud 131 min / goal (42/5495)
Diego Costa 145 min / goal (52/7526)
Romelu Lukaku 175 min / goal (53/9308)

Can't believe people need to be shown the stats. Shows that some of our 'fans' don't actually watch all the games or they would inherently know this.

Giroud is, as you clearly said, a very good striker, but he isn't amazing. I have no idea why there can't be a middle ground with this poor man. No he isn't what we need. Has he tried his best, yes! And he's been brilliant at times.

But no. On this forum you're either Pele or you're Squillaci.

skip spence

Can't believe people need to be shown the stats.
I'm quite surprised myself. Did some further stats research and looking at Kane's scoring record 12 of his 75 PL goals were penalties but only 1 of Giroud's 42 was from the spot. Sergio Aguero has 70 PL goals the past three seasons with 13 pens (and he's missed a fair few).

So, minutes per non-penalty goal the past three PL seasons:

Sergio Aguero 128 min / goal
Olivier Giroud 134 min / goal
Harry Kane 135 min / goal
Diego Costa 148 min / goal
Romelu Lukaku 190 min / goal

Bonus:
Danny Welbeck 302 min / goal (no penalty goals: who in their right mind would let him take one??)

Edit:
"He's been a squad player this year. The four years before that he was a starter and he averaged a whopping 14 league goals per season.

Try again."

@say yes Know you wasn't talking to me, but what say you? Is that better?

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'm quite surprised myself. Did some further stats research and looking at Kane's scoring record 12 of his 75 PL goals were penalties but only 1 of Giroud's 42 was from the spot. Sergio Aguero has 70 PL goals the past three seasons with 13 pens (and he's missed a fair few).

So, minutes per non-penalty goal the past three PL seasons:

Sergio Aguero 128 min / goal
Olivier Giroud 134 min / goal
Harry Kane 135 min / goal
Diego Costa 148 min / goal
Romelu Lukaku 190 min / goal

Bonus:
Danny Welbeck 302 min / goal (no penalty goals: who in their right mind would let him take one??)

Edit:
"He's been a squad player this year. The four years before that he was a starter and he averaged a whopping 14 league goals per season.

Try again."

@say yes Know you wasn't talking to me, but what say you? Is that better?

Love the no-penalty touch. Aguero still phenomenal but the Hurrikane ain't as great as everyone making him out to be.

Still of course stats only tell half the story and we are all aware that we could do better up front. But credit where it is due and Ollie has been a top pro deserving of praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom