• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

{reed}

Poundland GDeep
I'm quite surprised myself. Did some further stats research and looking at Kane's scoring record 12 of his 75 PL goals were penalties but only 1 of Giroud's 42 was from the spot. Sergio Aguero has 70 PL goals the past three seasons with 13 pens (and he's missed a fair few).

So, minutes per non-penalty goal the past three PL seasons:

Sergio Aguero 128 min / goal
Olivier Giroud 134 min / goal
Harry Kane 135 min / goal
Diego Costa 148 min / goal
Romelu Lukaku 190 min / goal

Bonus:
Danny Welbeck 302 min / goal (no penalty goals: who in their right mind would let him take one??)

Edit:
"He's been a squad player this year. The four years before that he was a starter and he averaged a whopping 14 league goals per season.

Try again."

@say yes Know you wasn't talking to me, but what say you? Is that better?

*Source: Squawka
elite.

skip spence

It went pretty quiet in here after Skip's last post. :lol:
Seems like it. :lol:

And his minutes per goal in the national team is even better (numbers a few pages back), in fact top of the lot among the top ten goalscorers for France in modern times, well ahead of the likes of Trezeguet, Henry and Benzema.

Gegen Pressing

That's exactly why we are in a position to trade him + cash for Mbappe.
Giroud does give you that....These great stats.... pure gold.
He cost 10Mio and on transfermarkt he now is worth solid 25Mio!
I doubt we'll let him go unlike that bodybuilder Walcott.

skip spence

That's exactly why we are in a position to trade him + cash for Mbappe.
Giroud does give you that....These great stats.... pure gold.
He cost 10Mio and on transfermarkt he now is worth solid 25Mio!
I doubt we'll let him go unlike that bodybuilder Walcott.
Those swap deals rarely work, they are too complicated, too many factors that can go wrong. Would I take Mbappe over Giroud? Of course, that's a no-brainer. Would Giroud go along with that? Highly doubt it!

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Back in the day when it was still in vogue to play with two strikers, a 4-4-2 with two wingers who could cross, Giroud would have flourished and been appreciated far more than he is in this current era. You wouldn't ever play someone like Teddy Sheringham as a lone striker, yet that is basically what Giroud has had to do most of his career.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I may not miss the incredible misses or the scorpion kick celebrations and definitely not the 19 game droughts. But this player is deserving of our respect IMHO and I will wish him luck no matter what the outcome this summer.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I genuinely believe if we played 3421 with Özil and Sanchez behind Giroud (centrally, not wide) , he could do as well as anyone we can realistically get.
Sanchez playing the Griezmann role, playing close/running beyond Giroud and Kolasinac and Ox/Bellerin running up the line and putting in crosses.
Similar to France, who to their credit, seem to have at least put some thought into getting the best out of him.
Of course the problem remains we won't do this this, if he does play he will be expected to retain balls/create something while the rest of the team wait around in another postcode.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I genuinely believe if we played 3421 with Özil and Sanchez behind Giroud (centrally, not wide) , he could do as well as anyone we can realistically get.
Sanchez playing the Griezmann role, playing close/running beyond Giroud and Kolasinac and Ox/Bellerin running up the line and putting in crosses.
Similar to France, who to their credit, seem to have at least put some thought into getting the best out of him.
Of course the problem remains we won't do this this, if he does play he will be expected to retain balls/create something while the rest of the team wait around in another postcode.
Exactly this^

Very very very useful striker if deployed in the correct manner.

say yes

forum master baiter
I'm quite surprised myself. Did some further stats research and looking at Kane's scoring record 12 of his 75 PL goals were penalties but only 1 of Giroud's 42 was from the spot. Sergio Aguero has 70 PL goals the past three seasons with 13 pens (and he's missed a fair few).

So, minutes per non-penalty goal the past three PL seasons:

Sergio Aguero 128 min / goal
Olivier Giroud 134 min / goal
Harry Kane 135 min / goal
Diego Costa 148 min / goal
Romelu Lukaku 190 min / goal

Bonus:
Danny Welbeck 302 min / goal (no penalty goals: who in their right mind would let him take one??)

Edit:
"He's been a squad player this year. The four years before that he was a starter and he averaged a whopping 14 league goals per season.

Try again."

@say yes Know you wasn't talking to me, but what say you? Is that better?

*Source: Squawka

Don't seem to get notifications from tags (am I the only one?) any more so bit late for this.

My take:

1. Happy to restrict stats to last 3 seasons. Only player I'd argue that is unfair on is Lukaku given his recent improvement.

Anyway here are your base numbers (Mins/league goals, last 3 seasons):

Aguero: 104.6
Kane: 113.2
Giroud: 130.6
Costa: 145.2
Lukaku: 175.8

Giroud has played significantly the least minutes, but more on that below.

2. Happy to exclude pens, particularly as Giroud is a very good penalty taker and thus you'd assume he'd get more for us if he were the taker. That being said - penalties which a player wins for themselves and then scores should be included as those are essentially solo goals.

Aguero: 13 pens (2 won himself) - 11 excluded
Giroud: 1 pen excluded
Kane: 12 pens (3 won himself) - 9 excluded
Costa: 1 pen excluded
Lukaku: 4 pens excluded

That gives you:

Aguero: 124.05
Kane: 128.61
Giroud: 133.76
Costa: 148.04
Lukaku: 190.12

Pretty much identical to the stats you posted.

However there's a slight problem with this perspective. How can someone with such a seemingly impressive mins/goal stat have never managed to hit more than 16 in the league? All the other strikers on that list regularly hit 20+, bar Lukaku who got 25 this season.

When the numbers are this out of sync with reality, there is usually a very obvious answer.

3. Giroud has played significantly less minutes than all the forwards on the above list, which belies his role as a super sub and is immensely flattering to his goals/min stat. Aguero, Kane, Costa and Lukaku all average that rate of goals starting games i.e. clocking close to 90 mins almost every week. You shouldn't be using mins/goal statistics to compare super-subs with bona fide starters.

This is how the stats look if we restrict the outlook to starts:

Aguero: 126.66
Kane: 128.51
Costa: 146.92
Giroud: 162.90
Lukaku: 186.20

As you can see, Giroud's mins/goal stat is much less impressive when he's starting games. He'd be dead bottom if not for Lukaku's awful 14/15 season (10 league goals).

And goalscoring (or lack particularly thereof) isn't even why most people don't rate him.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Its quiet simple. Giroud is class and scores regulary. IF the team actually played to his strengths we would see one of the better strikers in Europe.
Fact we dont play to his strenghts but he still scores regulary shows you that.

I wonder how many Aguero would score if playing for a team that plays high balls and crosses, and what would people think of him

GDeep™

League is very weak
He isn't being sold until we sign someone anyway, and knowing us we might not sign a ****ing striker if Wenger doesn't get Mbappe.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Its quiet simple. Giroud is class and scores regulary. IF the team actually played to his strengths we would see one of the better strikers in Europe.
Fact we dont play to his strenghts but he still scores regulary shows you that.

I wonder how many Aguero would score if playing for a team that plays high balls and crosses, and what would people think of him
No it doesn't really. Iwould agree he is a good striker but "one of the better strikers in Europe", come off it mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom