• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our free kick takers and seniority

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Does anyone else feel like me that we are quite crap at taking free kicks?

Usually, it's Sanchez when it's for a right footer and Özil for the left footer. Both of their conversion rate is not the greatest (Sanchez is not bad).

I wish Wenger had balls to mix it up or in training have others start practicing. Ramsey is actually pretty good and should have gotten more opportunities in the past as he's scored some for Wales before.
Who else? Xhaka?

After seeing Klopp and Liverpool players let an 18 year old Trent Arnold Alexander take a free kick, I think we need to be a bit more braver and find out who is actually the best player that has a chance to score on a regular basis.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Our corners have been **** for years also, Özil is one of the worst corner takers I've seen it rarely goes past the first man. Xhaka looks better at them and he seems to be taking Özil's duty.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Our corners have been **** for years also, Özil is one of the worst corner takers I've seen it rarely goes past the first man. Xhaka looks better at them and he seems to be taking Özil's duty.
Özil's inswingers are deadly and he's got a lot of assists from those. His outswingers are crap though. Doesn't have the pace on it and all of them are very deep and end up on the edge of the box.

say yes

forum master baiter
No.

Do people actually watch us on here or just go off what Jamie Redknapp said on the telly this week?

Özil has a fantastic deadball delivery on him. Xhaka has taken over this season and already has 2 assists from our first two matches.

Bearing in mind we've got the shortest squad in the league and our gameplan doesn't revolve around pumping balls into the box, I think this is quite impressive:

Goals from set-pieces (PL)
2014/15: 3rd most scored
2015/16: 7th most ..
2016/17: 8th most ..

Our record at defending set-pieces is even more impressive. We conceded the fewest goals in the league from set-pieces last year, 3rd fewest the year before.

Neither fits the narrative of Arsenal/Wenger being tactically naive pushovers though, so don't expect them to get much airtime.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Thank you...not sure why the thread was turning. Lets keep this to direct shooters for free kicks. Not talking about set pieces or corners.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Thank you...not sure why the thread was turning. Lets keep this to direct shooters for free kicks. Not talking about set pieces or corners.
You must be new here? :lol: People tend to create their own arguments so they can win them, aka 'Strawmanning'.

Coutinho scored 3 for Liverpool last year.
Sanchez scored 2 for Arsenal last year.
Sigurðsson scored 2 for Swansea last year.
Alonso, Willian, Luiz scored 1 each for Chelsea last year.
Bruyne and Kolarov scored 1 each for City last year.
Nobody scored for Tottenham last year.
Rooney scored 1 for United last year.
Barkley and Lukaku scored 1 each for Everton last year.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Well apart from Sigurdson and Willian are there any more players in the premier league who are prolific from set-pieces? Yaya Toure was one of them for a while in the past and Eriksen has good technique but very few stand out imo apart from the first two I mentioned. Usually when we do get a freekick around 25-30 yards from goal and in a position which favours a left footer, Özil takes them. And most of the time he floats one into the box and I think with his delivery, that's almost as good as a direct freekick. I could see Xhaka taking a few of them instead of Özil this season, but from what I've seen so far Xhaka's long range shooting technique depends more on power rather than placement. When it comes to a right footer, Alexis is as good as it gets in the premier league. He could've scored a few more freekicks last season, I remember a couple of them hitting the bar.

say yes

forum master baiter
Coutinho scored 3 for Liverpool last year.
Sanchez scored 2 for Arsenal last year.
Sigurðsson scored 2 for Swansea last year.
Alonso, Willian, Luiz scored 1 each for Chelsea last year.
Bruyne and Kolarov scored 1 each for City last year.
Nobody scored for Tottenham last year.
Rooney scored 1 for United last year.
Barkley and Lukaku scored 1 each for Everton last year.

So err, guess that's the thread then?

Quite hard to label that a strawman, even though it won't suit a certain argument. :cool:

2015/16
Sanchez scored 1 for Arsenal
Willian scored 2 and Fabregas and Oscar 1 each for Chelsea
Everton scored 0
Leicester scored 0 (won the league)
Milner scored 1 for Liverpool
City scored 0
Mata scored 1 for United
Sigurðsson scored 2 and Ayew 1 for Swansea
Eriksen scored 2 for Tottenham

2014/15
Sanchez scored 2 and Özil 1 for Arsenal
Oscar scored 1 for Chelsea
Mirallas scored 1 fot Everton
Leicester scored 0
Gerrard scored 1 for Liverpool
Kolaro scored 2 and Milnar 1 for City
Di Maria and Mata scored 1 each for United
Sigurðsson scored 2 for Swansea
Eriksen scored 3 and Kane 1 for Tottenham

Fallout

whether it's a direct shot or--more commonly--a cross from set pieces, we've been good at both since Özil has arrived. i'd even argue set pieces are one of the major factors keeping him in the team atm

moloso

As has been said it is difficult to score more than a handful of direct frees per season in general. Sanchez generally seem to threaten the keeper and are hit with a good amount of pace/whip. Never ever get the feeling Özil's will go in tbh.

Would like to see anyone who can strike a ball cleanly have a few I guess, Chambo, Xhaka even Walcott (I know, I know), Ramsey if he ever starts scoring consistently again.

I typically hate the knock the ball a few yards for someone to smack, nearly always straight into the wall.

Top Bottom