• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our next club captain

Who should be our next club captain?

• Laurent Koscielny

• Petr Cech

• Aaron Ramsey

• Granit Xhaka

• Jack Wilshere

• Nacho Monreal

• Hector Bellerin

• Mesut Özil

• Shkodran Mustafi

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Saikung

Not the bestvof choices but I'm assuming no one comes and goes and it is based on current first choice.

Got to be cech. He's not the best anymore but in terms of experience, what he's won and authority it's only him.

Plus whoever gets the armband usually stops playing for us or leaves soon after.

Jae

He might not have had an amazing season for some, but I don't understand those saying he hasn't had a good season at all?

He's played almost every game, improved his discipline, statistically is one of the best midfielders in the league and has 7 assists and a goal in 37 games from a deep position in midfield.

You can argue that he hasn't been brilliant but to say he hasn't had a good season is pushing it in my opinion.

He hasn't had a good "Season" mate because he's only been playing well since January, not since August.

Some of his stats are very good (passes & touches) and he is also very reliable in the sense that he's almost played every minute of football for us in the league this season. Some of his stats are quite lacking though compared to players playing a comparable position.

Touches (1st) - 3621
Passes (2nd) - 3060
Yellow Cards (2nd) - 10
Errors leading to goals (5th) - 3
Fouls (7th) - 55
Corners Taken (8th) - 88
Assists - (14th) - 7
Tackles (17th) - 76
Through balls (21st) - 11
Minutes played (21st) - 3176
Interceptions (71th) - 37
Aerial battles won (96th) - 48
Blocks (98th) - 8
Clearances (98th) - 61
Goals (172nd) -1

Preacher

Always Crying
Ramsey, but he's the next player who will probably leave us. Zero news about his contract extension at the moment.

Last edited:
He hasn't had a good "Season" mate because he's only been playing well since January, not since August.

Some of his stats are very good (passes & touches) and he is also very reliable in the sense that he's almost played every minute of football for us in the league this season. Some of his stats are quite lacking though compared to players playing a comparable position.

Touches (1st) - 3621
Passes (2nd) - 3060
Yellow Cards (2nd) - 10
Fouls (7th) - 55
Corners Taken (8th) - 88
Assists - (14th) - 7
Tackles (17th) - 76
Blocks (98th) - 8
Clearances (98th) - 61
Goals (172nd) -1

Great Post Xhaka shouldn't be near the first choice 11 let alone captain.

For me its Jack, people say hot head, wasn't Tony Adams at times?

He has passion for AFC as a captain should, he respects the badge and will play for it. He's the best of a bad bunch

I think we can add a captain to the list of things we need to bring in, those options are tragic.

Sorry when writing the above I missed this, if a choice of what we have I'd go with Jack but this is 100% right, we need leaders big time. So it should be top of our list in my opinion. I can't even list that many leaders out there I would like.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I cant vote for any of them, if I had to it would be Ramsey. The role of Arsenal Captain has been stamped into the turf and jumped up and down on by Wenger. The Captain used to be one of the first names on the team sheet, a regular starter. Wenger changed all that by having Arteta & Per as Captains when they were hardly ever available. The fact that we managed to play half a game last season without anyone noticing we didn't have an appointed Captain on the pitch says it all. The fact it was against Man City highlights the importance Wenger places on a Captain.

Let the new manager come in and make his choice. If he goes for a new signing that's fine with me, I just want a Captain that plays regularly.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Ideal scenario - new manager comes in and identifies new signings with leadership qualities.

Worst case scenario - a new manager comes in and retains Cech, Kos etc.

We need a shake up.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal-FC-v-1-FC-Koeln-UEFA-Europa-League.jpg

Forgetting someone?

Carlo Marx

Used to be the Voice of Reason, now raging
In terms of personality, Kos the best of that bad bunch surely?

Surprised by the Ramsey love. Strikes me as the hair-flicking ape of his ideal self, all Roy of the Rovers fantasy behind the eyelids. Would be Gallas mk.2 at best, and bound to be the more disliked by his teammates the nearer he gets to fulfilling in his own internal comic strip narrative.

Useful player, mind.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan

Touches (1st) - 3621
Passes (2nd) - 3060
Yellow Cards (2nd) - 10
Fouls (7th) - 55
Corners Taken (8th) - 88
Assists - (14th) - 7
Tackles (17th) - 76
Blocks (98th) - 8
Clearances (98th) - 61
Goals (172nd) -1

Yeah wow, don't I feel like an idiot now. That corner taken stat paints a really danming picture.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan

Touches (1st) - 3621
Passes (2nd) - 3060
Yellow Cards (2nd) - 10
Fouls (7th) - 55
Corners Taken (8th) - 88
Assists - (14th) - 7
Tackles (17th) - 76
Blocks (98th) - 8
Clearances (98th) - 61
Goals (172nd) -1

Also, just to correct all these and compare them to other midfielder in the league like you claimed you had :
Touches (1st) - 3621
Passes (2nd) - 3060
Wrong, that is 1st in the league.
Yellow Cards (2nd) - 10 Irrelevant, not sure why listed. No red.
Errors leading to goals (5th) - 3 Highest for a midfielder and while not great, it's only 3. You'd think it was 10 based on comments in here.
Fouls (7th) - 55 Not sure of the relevance.
Corners Taken (8th) - 88 Absolutely no idea why this has been included.
Assists - (14th) - 7 Wrong, he's 12th and that includes the likes of Sane, Mahrez and others who play in a front 3. In terms of pure midfielders, not even deep ones, he's right up there.
Tackles (17th) - 76 This includes Schindler, Azpi and Zaba. The most interesting part here is that he's won 1 tackle less than Doucoure who is apparently the monster we need in the middle of the park. He's also won more than Matic.
Through balls (21st) - 11 Once again, this includes the likes of Özil, Eriksen, Silva, Coutinho, etc all players who play as a 10. The fact he is so high despite sitting so deep is superb.
Minutes played (21st) - 3176 Not sure of the relevance.
Interceptions (71th) - 37 He's 23rd, not 71st.
Aerial battles won (96th) - 48 He's 14th, not 96th.
Blocks (98th) - 8 He's 22nd, not 98th.
Clearances (98th) - 61 He's 10th, not 98th.
Goals (172nd) -1
Headed Clearances (5th) - 39

I am all for someone looking at statistics, but for **** sake, don't lie about it because you will get caught out. You say you are going to compare him against other players in a similar role, then compare his defensive statistics with defenders.

What is also an interesting is when you compare to the other midfielders at Arsenal:

Clearances - 1st (3 times more than any other Arsenal midfielder.0
Assists - 2nd (1 behind Özil and equal with Ramsey)
Touches - 1st (almost double Özil in 2nd)
Interceptions - 1st (almost double Ramsey)
Passes - 1st (1,200 more than Özil in 2nd)
Blocks - 1st (double Ramsey in 2nd)
Interceptions - 1st (by a long way)
Tackles - 1st (more than double Ramsey and the highest in the squad)
Headed Clearances - 1st (literally 5 times more than the person in second)
Aerial Battles Won - 1st (again, 5 times more than the person in second)

He has been the stand out player for us all term and you can argue other wise, but please don't use statistics because they paint a very different picture to what you are trying to say.

Jae

He has been the stand out player for us all term and you can argue other wise, but please don't use statistics because they paint a very different picture to what you are trying to say.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goal_assist?se=79

You are so rediculously one-eyed when it comes to Xhaka.

Those are his stats for the season compared to EVERYONE. If you want to take out every single player in the league then of course he's going to be near the top of everything :lol: Even if you include just the midfielders some of it is still quite damning.

You've just demonstrated perfectly why nobody takes you seriously. You look at some stats and say "this is brilliant because he plays so deep" or that "this isn't relevant" and you completely skip over the things that he is poor at.

So I'll spell it out for you.

(Midfielders only)
Minutes played (3rd) - 3176
Definitely relevant. More minutes equals higher stats, love how you skipped over this.
Touches (1st) - 3621
Fair enough, gets involved, has played more games/minutes than anyone else so will be naturally higher taking into account the position he plays
Passes (1nd) - 3060
As above - plus 80% of them will be 5 yard sideways passes.
Poor, and these are only the ones that lead directly to goals. He's made many more indirect ones this season.
Fouls (7th) - 55
Definitely relevant, shows he isn't an efficient tackler.
Yellow Cards (2nd) - 10
See fouls above
Assists - (12th) - 7
Admittedly not bad, although I never raised this as an issue.
Corners Taken (8th) - 88
Supposedly "Not relevant" but I'm sure you'll claim any assists that he gets off them when it suits you.

Tackles (12th) - 76
Poor, he has 68 less than Ndidi (1st) 38 less than Kante and 26 less than Joe Allen none the less (JOE ALLEN!) :lol:
Interceptions (23rd) - 37
Again , POOR. 23rd for interceptions? Seriously? Skipped over this one again
Aerial battles won (14th) - 48
See above
Blocks (22nd) - 8
See above
Clearances (10th) - 61
See above

So basically what I'm getting from you, is that you are happy to praise him for things which are arguably expected of him anyway given the position he plays, our style of football and the amount he plays - yet when its actually things that we NEED him to do and he's failing to do you're happy to stick your head in the sand.

He is our most defensive midfielder, the things he should be doing (tackles, interceptions, aerial battles, clearances) simply aren't good enough no matter which way you want to tart it up.

Nobody really cares how he compares to the rest of our squad. The rest of are squad are a shower of sh*te and not a single member of our squad comes out with any plaudits this season (Mkhi and Auba excused). None of them have covered themselves in glory. Why do you think people are struggling to pick a Captain?

This is the worst season we've had since I can remember, and who has been at the centre of it all having played every single league game for us and not far off every minute? :rolleyes:

Step away from the keyboard and go take your raging hard on for Xhaka for a walk :lol: You're boring me now mate and you're embarrassing yourself, you're like a broken record.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Kind of embarrassing that our 'best' and by far most-expensive player got 1 vote out of 80 in this poll. Next manager needs to give Özil a kick up the behind.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom