Our next club captain

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by say yes, May 10, 2018.

?

Who should be our next club captain?

1. Laurent Koscielny

2. Petr Cech

3. Aaron Ramsey

4. Granit Xhaka

5. Jack Wilshere

6. Nacho Monreal

7. Hector Bellerin

8. Mesut Özil

9. Shkodran Mustafi

10. Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH

I did not vote but for me there are three clear choices:

1. Xhaka - Plays almost every game and is durable and super reliable. Would have voted Ramsey if not for this key factor.
    2. Cech - Obvious choice with him being the old wise man at the club.
    3. Chambers - I’d make him third choice captain. Has the ingredients to succeed as a CB and can be a leader at the back for Arsenal.

2. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Well-Known Member

Arteta

Artisan likes this.
  3. DanDare

DanDare Spreading positive vibes

Captain needs to be a nailed on starter and also the right demeanour

We need to buy a new starting centreback Who is a leader and make them captain

4. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Kos, Cech, Ramsey, Özil and Xhaka are the five

Arsenio Venger likes this.
  5. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

Koscielny will continue as club captain, hardly surprising, though it doesn't really matter you need more than one leader in a team. It's good that we've got this experience now.

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.
  6. Camron

Camron Well-Known Member

A goalkeeper should never be captain.

Fewtch likes this.
  7. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

There's been several Champions League and World Cup winning sides that have been captained by goalkeepers. I believe Casillas and Neuer have done both. Cech is certainly one of the more experienced and vocal voices in the dressing him and a guy who a lot of the players will look up to.

YeahBee likes this.
  8. lucky7

lucky7 Active Member

Cassillas, Buffon, Kahn, Shilton, Zoff, Yashin. Good goalkeepers are natural leaders. They have to organize the defense and they can see the whole pitch. They are already frequently the most communicative players on the pitch due to the unique nature of the position.

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  9. Mo Britain

Mo Britain You should be ashamed of yourself Gazidis

Jenks or Joel Campbell for me.

Artisan, Ricardinho and SuperGoon like this.
  10. Song Billong

Song Billong Well-Known Member

Just cannot be Ramsey if he hasn't signed.

11. Axel9090

Axel9090 Well-Known Member

Whatever. As long as those who have been named captains pull their weight on the pitch and get other players going, then its all good. But I must say Im shocked Xhaka has been given captaincy over say someone like Monreal who has been here for longer and is very experienced, plus Xhaka can be a mess on the field at times.

12. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

People may be stunned to hear me say this but it might be a good idea to make Özil the primary captain in Kos' stead. I think that added responsibility and the gesture of faith in his leadership abilities may well help him stay engaged in matches where our football is not clicking at full tilt.

13. Cazorlinho

Cazorlinho French media expert who still can't embed tweets

I don't rate Xhaka that much but it makes sense he was one of the youngest captain in Gladbach if I'm not mistaken and he's known to be a vocal leader.

Monreal doesn't look like to me to be captain material.

Impact likes this.
  14. Cazorlinho

Cazorlinho French media expert who still can't embed tweets

And Lloris too.
    But there was a documentary about the french NT during the WC and you could see that even though Lloris was the captain, in the dressing room the vocal leaders were Pogba, Matuidi and Mandanda.

So even if Cech is the captain the other players can still wear the vocal leader suit.

15. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

Monreal is no leader. He is hardly a LB to begin with

Thrilled that Emery sees thru the charade that has so many fooled here...

Glad that Emery sees what I see in Xhaka how ya'll Fail to see it is flabergasting!

LET THE EAGLE ROAR!

16. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

But when Ramsey signs he is nr1

17. razörist

razörist Loves the Lad of Luscious Locks

Not stunned at all. Makes complete sense to me. He should be #1 captain, but looking at the choice of captains he will be most of the time anyway.

Jackie_Treehorn and Batman like this.
  18. GunnerBP

GunnerBP Well-Known Member Trusted

So with Cech being named as a captain do you think he's being preferred over Leno?

At first glance, I thought this decision meant that Cech would be our #1, but since Özil, Ramsey, and Xhaka will be playing I doubt that Cech would wear the captain's armband in most games.

However, considering that we probably will rotate the squad a lot for the Europa League, League Cup, and FA Cup, I wonder if Cech has been named captain so that he can be the captain of our second unit.

Naming these 5 captains, and making Cech our backup GK, means that we really should always have a captain available for each match.

Clearly, tomorrow's match will answer this question.

19. tap-in

tap-in :-)

I'm not, I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Especially as he has no International football, he can give 100% to Arsenal.

Batman likes this.
  20. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Well-Known Member

Not too fuzzed about who's going to take this role. It's pretty logical that Emery is looking at 5 key players who take bigger responsibility in the squad.

Think the captain thing is overrated.
    But it is a big plus to have 4-5 players who are more vocal on the pitch and can kinda lead certain areas (defense, midfield,..).

arsenalforlife14 likes this.