• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our Summer...

asajoseph

Established Member
I suspect, that barring the loss ov Vieira, our summer spending is probably complete.

Are you happy with our buying/selling?

patrick42uk

Established Member
definately. i feel our squad at the moment is adequate for an assault on all three trophies. we have exactly two players fighting for each position, with some surpluses up front and in defence.

left back- clichy, cole

right back- lauren, hatem

centerback- campbell toure, cygan senderos, hoyte garry

right mid- pennant, freddie

left mid- pires, van persie

center mid- Vieira (fingers crossed), edu, gilberto, flamini

strikers- henry bergkamp, reyes aliadiere, jeffers

the only area with little doubt is center back. i feel wenger owes this chance to senderos though considering all the hype. plus most fans crave for the inclusion of youngsters, and any signing at cb will be restricting a very promising one. pre-season till january can be a trial period for him. if he fails to live up to expectation, or is shown to be unprepared for first team football, wenger has the option then to bring someone in. right now, i have absolute faith in our squad.

asajoseph

Established Member
I think I aggree entirely with your post Patrick, especially because I think it is about time that Senderos starts showing a bit of what he's been built up to be...

calvinngai88

Senderos and Hoyte have shown that they are up for the game if they're given the chance after their supreme performances in Slovenia.

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, I didn't see the game, but from Jose Reyes 2004 excellent match report, it seems like Hoyte was excellent. Wasn't too sure about Senderos though. Did you see the game?

calvinngai88

Yea, I watched the game, I even gave a report long down that thread after Jose's report. Senderos was overshadowed by Hoyte but nonetheless, his performances couldn't be ignored, he was just like Campbell, heading away all the dangerous balls into the six-yard box and gave some strong and solid tackles.

A

Anonymous

Hoyte is a right back and garry is a left back !!!!
Our centre defence is weak as piss in terms of depth. Senderos is totally untested and cygan isnt good enough for first choice back up. We really need a centre back.

Pasha

I agree that today we have 2 players in every position...and it's great news, cause we have 2 squads and that is why we can play in every tournament for victory!
I didn't think that Wenger must buy new CD..we have Hoyte and Senderos and they must show everything to take a chance in a first 11.

asajoseph

Established Member
he was just like Campbell, heading away all the dangerous balls into the six-yard box and gave some strong and solid tackles.

Be careful, now you're getting me excited ;)

Good to hear though!

Apparently Hoyte had a corker at CB against Maribor...

patrick42uk

Established Member
theguvnor said:
Our centre defence is weak as piss in terms of depth. Senderos is totally untested and cygan isnt good enough for first choice back up. We really need a centre back.

hoyte has always been a right back cum center back. i know for a fact he has played cb for a few times for the reserves based on match reports. i included him as a cb because, in the near future, it represents his best opportunity of making the first team squad. more so if senderos doesnt work out. garry made his debut at left back, but i could have sworn wenger mentioned him as an option as center back at the end of last season. i could be wrong but, again, cb represents his best opportunity of making the first team squad.

Andrew

Best we've had in a while I believe. Not much money spent but we've brought in some quality players with potential for bargain prices. We can't go wrong really, adding these players to last seasons triumphant squad. Let's hope Paddy can see that.

asajoseph

Established Member
Busted? I'd be ashamed to call myself a gooner if Arsène listened to that trash....

Triffid

Fantastically happy with the signings. Both economically and (more importantly) in terms of quality.

If you look at the 17 players released at the beginning of the Summer, there were quite a few that we spent BIG money on. We got nothing in return (at least in terms of transfer fees).

Now we're buying cheap and can really expect a few of these players to become HUGE world class players. Arsène seems to be back to his very best signing talent. Finding the diamonds in the rough.

As far as talent, I'm much happier with the 'reserve' teams strength this season than last. The addition of Trabelsi means that we have a number of versatile defenders (Toure, Trabelsi, Hoyte, Garry) and that's better than a simple system of one backup per position. Two seasons ago we lost two Centre Backs simultaneously and it was a disaster, the same happened to Man U last season. We now can cover across the defensive line, the additional flexibility is a strength, not a weakness.

All in all - HUZZAH!!!

sebasvard

patrick42uk said:
right now, i have absolute faith in our squad.
Oh yes, listed like that the squad looks ABSOLUTELY awesome. It really does look like something on an even higher level than last year.

Think of the names not there and compare them to the replacements:

Wiltord -> Pennant: A great swap here, I am possibly more excited about seeing what Pennant can do this season than any other player. To put him out on loan last season was a fantastic plan, he got games regularly, and is now champing at the bit as a fantastic professional should be. Wiltord by contrast was an egomaniac, at the wrong end of his career, who wasn't very good on the flanks.

Kanu -> Reyes: I don't even need to explain this one. But suffice it to say, Kanooo had his time, but was getting past it, and being an enigma isn't enough. Reyes is the future of this team, let's just leave it at that.

edit: I know Reyes came in halfway thru last season - so if you like, why not put RvP in there instead :)
You could say virtually the same things about him as Reyes...

Parlour -> Flamini: Hard to say too much about Flamini atm, but must have that Wenger quality to have been bought, and will be desperate to impress. Ray, well I can't fault the guy, and had he stayed on another season I would have cheered as loud as anyone - but I guess he's not getting any younger.

Keown -> Trabelsi: Not a direct swap, although Hatem can play central apparently. But another case where a loyal servant who isn't in his prime is replaced by a pacey younger player but with bags of top-level experience. And the attacking options Trabelsi will provide are simply mouth-watering - something our Martin couldn't really have ever offered.

Vieira -> ?.... well to be honest, I have felt more and more confident that we won't be needing a replacement for Paddy after all. I am actually starting to believe as the press crap dies a death, that PV4 will come out on Saturday/Sunday and tell us where exactly his heart lies - and it will be with the red-and-white shirt.

I know it's bad form to get too confident before the season starts - but I can't help it. This is looking so awesome it's amazing.

Can you feel it???

I can ;)

Ridge

well if ballack joined us i'd be more happy. but still i m very satisfied with our current squad.

Top Bottom