• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari: 2019/2020 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kysus

Why can't we ever just sign someone (preferably a cb) on a permanent basis for a change. All I ever see are just players signing on loans these days for us, I see heaps of other PL teams signing players on a permanent basis.
Mari is a permanent signing.
We only make it look like a loan due to finances

Balboa

At least our team is getting better looking.
Now we have 6 centerbacks who can play (be) on the bench. Great transfer :frustrated:

Why do we buy another squad player?
Why do we need 6 centerbacks?

And next year we also have Saliba and Mavropanos back that makes 8 ****ing center backs. I mean good luck selling Mustafi and Sokratis.

If you compare our CB to the "Top-6":
Liverpool: van Djik, Gomez, Matip, Lovren
City: Laporte, Otamendi, Stones, Garcia
Chelsea: Rüdiger, Zouma, Christensen, Tomori
Tottenham: Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Foyth
United: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailley, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo

Just play the season and then buy a real CB. Then we have one Top-CB and some with good potential.

Arsenal need another squad player because it's what they can afford, he's available and he fits into the system better than the players they already have. Arsenal's defensive system badly needs to be reworked and this is an initial attemp at that process. Arteta wants to develop the team's game around a left-footed CB, and this is the one he wants to sign at this time given constraints.

Arsenal need 6 centre backs because Chambers has a long term injury, Rob Holding is yet to recover fully from a long-term injury and the club are trying to move Mustafi (possibly others from Mavropanos, Holding, Sokratis, Luiz, Chambers) to other clubs over forthcoming transfer windows.

Saliba is young and will need more experience around him, especially a left-sided CB to play along side.

It also may be that they think the player is relatively good value in the market and could have considerable financial upside if he plays in more high profile games in the Premier League.

People made similar criticisms about James Milner when he was available to sign a free transfer on leaving Manchester City. Those people have been proven emphatically wrong....

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Flamengo was the best team in his career, and they were ready to sell him for 7m. Do you guys think they are stupid and missed something after watching him play for a year?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Why can't we ever just sign someone (preferably a cb) on a permanent basis for a change. All I ever see are just players signing on loans these days for us, I see heaps of other PL teams signing players on a permanent basis.

You mean unlike David Luiz and William Saliba who we signed on a permanent basis in the summer, or unlike Sokratis who we signed on a permanent basis the summer before that?

Manberg

Predator
Was Raul at Barcelona around the time of them signing Fabregas by any chance? This whole get the player to persuade the club to sell him cheap approach reeks of the Fabregas drama.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Was Raul at Barcelona around the time of them signing Fabregas by any chance? This whole get the player to persuade the club to sell him cheap approach reeks of the Fabregas drama.
He's got Arsenal DNA, so we did what was needed to bring him home.
FarImaginaryGrassspider-max-1mb.gif

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Now we have 6 centerbacks who can play (be) on the bench. Great transfer :frustrated:

Why do we buy another squad player?
Why do we need 6 centerbacks?

And next year we also have Saliba and Mavropanos back that makes 8 ****ing center backs. I mean good luck selling Mustafi and Sokratis.

If you compare our CB to the "Top-6":
Liverpool: van Djik, Gomez, Matip, Lovren
City: Laporte, Otamendi, Stones, Garcia
Chelsea: Rüdiger, Zouma, Christensen, Tomori
Tottenham: Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Foyth
United: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailley, Jones, Tuanzebe, Rojo

Just play the season and then buy a real CB. Then we have one Top-CB and some with good potential.

The role of a centre back in a system of play matters my friend.

He’s a left sided CB with the distribution of a midfielder and also excellent in the air. If we’re going to play progressive football we need players who suit those requirements.

The number of CBs we have means **** all if they are ill suited to play as needed.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Flamengo was the best team in his career, and they were ready to sell him for 7m. Do you guys think they are stupid and missed something after watching him play for a year?

They bought him for 2 mil, so they made a healthy profit. He’s not a big name, world beater, but maybe he can do the job.

Balboa

Very unlikely, they sold a kid to Real Madrid for 30m this window

Arsenal had Özil for 4.5 years then gave him a contract worth £350k

Man Utd gave Solskjaer a permanent contract when he wasn't qualified for the job and they didn't need to because no bigger club would come in for him.

Liverpool signed Andy Carroll, Rickie Lambert, Fabio Borini, Mario Balotelli & Benteke

Chelsea signed both Shevchenko and Torres for big money when their medicals had shown they had serious knee injuries...

Clubs make bad decisions. Maybe Flamengo have made one? Maybe Arsenal have made one? Maybe both clubs will benefit from the deal? We'll see...

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He was very loved there mate maybe we got a good deal for once.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
He was very loved there mate maybe we got a good deal for once.
I dunno, that fact that we wanted a trial before paying 7 ****ing millions for him screams about our lack of scouting of him, it seems we bought him just because he's left-footed and we have no idea how good he is.

Last edited:

TimT

Pablo Mari is an intelligent player. He is calm and confident on the ball and under pressure. He is at his prime and experienced. His positioning, reading of the play, passing range forward is all good. His tackling and aerial ability (he is 6'4") is good although he lacks aggressiveness. One thing mainly worries me is his pace. Arteta needs to play him with a speedy center back. Neither of the two healthy and available center backs, Socratis and David Luiz, are up to it (see LCFC and LFC center-halves). But, in terms of transfer fee and wages being paid for his services, you couldn't probably find a better one in the market at the moment.

Last edited:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I dunno, that fact that we wanted a trial before paying 7 ****ing millions for him screams about our lack of scouting of him, it seems we bought him just because he's left-footed and we have no idea how good he is.

I'm assuming this is an Arteta signing, obviously he had to work within limits this window but I imagine this is the best he could have wanted for our situation.

He must have tracked him whilst at City, I know nothing about this guy, my guess is he is just an average defender, a safe bet that wont amaze anyone but can do a job better than what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom