• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari: Dream signing or NightMari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
This was more like signing another Almunia.

Pablo Mari is a player that would struggle in most Segunda Division teams
Maybe you are right. Personally I think worse 4th choice CBs have been at the club. He is not suited to the Physical battle but normally has been fairly assured.
Its hard being a CB in the prem league though tbf & Lukaku will expose far better defenders than him.
Dont forget Lukaku got top figures in Italy, a league that is known for quality, savvy defenders. He is a way better player now than the one who was at Man U & is playing for the European Champions.

Would i like an upgrade Yes absolutely!!

Do i think if Ben White & Gabriel had been available he would have played? No way unless we went 3 at the back & even then its likely that holding wouldve been ahead of him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He doesn’t start in any PL team. Before Arsenal he had made only 30 starts in top flight European football, he’s nearly 28. Had to leave Europe to play football.

He’s atrocious, made mistakes in nearly EVERY game he has played here. Guy is a mess.
Who would you take out of him, Silvestre and Squllaci? I think I'm taking Silvestre myself.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Rather like we had to wait for Arsène to go to see how poor 35m Mustafi was or the many other CBs he signed?🤣😜.
I mean Cygan was decent in other leagues but woeful here? So was that down to Arsène?
Yeah we replaced Gazidis and his statDNA **** ups with shady agent dealing. The difference now is that we have a rubbish coach as well. Not even sure how bad Mari is yet until Arteta's gone.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
All seriousness though just go look at this guy's wiki page, look at his career, in 2017-18 he played one season in the Eredivisie, then in 2019 he played a season in the Brazilian top flight. Apart from that basically his whole career had been in the 2nd and 3rd tiers of Spanish football.

I don't necessarily blame individual players like this, same with Runarsson, it's not their fault they're playing at this level, it's the club who have identified a player at a much lower level and brought them here expecting them to perform at a level they've never been at. Can't blame the player too much, blame the club.
That's exactly the kind of cv that most of the foreign imports have in my home country of Australia

GDeep™

League is very weak
Who would you take out of him, Silvestre and Squllaci? I think I'm taking Silvestre myself.
Squillaci. Better than Mari and not as washed up as Silvestre. At their best, Silvestre was obviously the best, was good at Utd.

Don’t forget guys like Silvestre and Squillaci also played in front foot attacking teams with little or no protection. Mari has played in totally defensive and negative teams where even guys like Auba and Martinelli are defending most of the game.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Saying all that, imagine Edu pulling out another "gem" from the Amazon jungle and we end up missing Mari. They always manage to surprise us with a new low

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Yeah we replaced Gazidis and his statDNA **** ups with shady agent dealing. The difference now is that we have a rubbish coach as well. Not even sure how bad Mari is yet until Arteta's gone.
Fair point but Cygan was well before Stat DNA & Arsène certainly had some other real CB howlers. Coaching CBs certainly wasnt his strength.
Arteta is certainly not a rubbish coach btw. Most in the game say he is very talented but that is a different convo.

• Red card
Reactions: Kav

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Fair point but Cygan was well before Stat DNA & Arsène certainly had some other real CB howlers. Coaching CBs certainly wasnt his strength.
Arteta is certainly not a rubbish coach btw. Most in the game say he is very talented but that is a different convo.
His pass maps, eye wateringly slow transitions, lack of goals, broken records of the wrong kind and league position all say different though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Cygan was a decent back up, imo...he wasn't great by any means, but he was useable, he had some really good games for us...him and Campbell had Vieri and Martins in their pockets in that famous San Siro win.

Plus as @GDeep™ said, defenders back then played in attacking teams.

Yeosol

At their best, Silvestre was obviously the best, was good at Utd.
Nah, easter island head was always absolute pants - the kind of player where you did a quiet fist pump everytime you saw him in the Man Utd lineup because he was such an obvious weak link.

Probably my main gripe with Wenger's entire reign, because he was already getting a fair bit of criticism by then after things went a bit downhill after the invincibles and I always defended him. I used to ridicule Silvestre, and when Wenger signed him I had to find the most ridiculous reasons to rationalize the transfer to not lose face.

Only time Silvestre was good was in CM 99/00.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

It's just pathetic. If we want to have a relationship with any agent, might as well be Mendes or Raiola. They're arseholes, but arseholes with top players. I don't mind doing business with them tbh.

What I don't understand is our relationship with Kia. He's taken us to the cleaners numerous times. Tim Lewis should probe Kia's relationship with Edu. Can't have a convicted felon being associated with this club.

We've lost over 50m in wages and transfer fees to Kia's clients over the last two years without any benefit whatsoever.

No wonder Wenger barred him from the club while he was here.

Arsenal fans when we make yet another one of these pointless signings: “I don’t see how anyone can have a problem with this signing”
“Good option to have. We can’t have world class players in every position” 😑
Meanwhile we don’t have a world class player in any position

Haha, that's AM mods, the trusted gang, and the kids who want to be part of it summed up in two sentences. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom