• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari: Dream signing or NightMari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
This guy is such a calming influence in defence. Commands the area so that Leno isn't as exposed.

I'm delighted for him after so many of our fans wrote him off before he even kicked a ball.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
He really deserves the credit for his performances.

But there's nothing wrong with being cautious for driving the hype up too far, what's commonly happening on here and then the same people post the exact opposite a few months later.

He still needs to convince me that he is capable of doing a job Gabriel can cope with, against teams like City, with super fast wingers and constant pressure.

Sterling.

.... Though the best defense against Sterling is probably letting him through and stopping everyone else so that nobody can score the rebound when he misses.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He's been fine to be fair to him, and I was right to reserve judgement on him. We've had way worse CBs play for us in the recent past even. I will say though - he is likely not going to move the needle against better opposition but he's a serviceable back-up IMO.

Some are going a little too far though, even calling for him to keep Gabriel out of the team :lol:.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He's been decent. Early doors though.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Arsenal have only conceded 1 goal in games that Pablo Mari has been on the pitch since his arrival
And Arsenal didn`t lose for the first 23 games matches Mustafi played or something like that. These stats mean very little, Mari looked shaky against Chelsea and has apart from that been up against probably the poorest teams going forward in the league.

I like the look of him though, has probably already shown enough to justify his signing consdering the fee.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arsenal have only conceded 1 goal in games that Pablo Mari has been on the pitch since his arrival

Also the least dribbled past defender per 90 since his debut. He isn’t the quickest but he’s no slug either and always in the right place.

Not sure I get the back up chat either. If he’s statistically our best defender (which he is - and it’s not close) he should be starting until he proves otherwise.

This shouldn’t be a popularity contest.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Hopefully this is a Stones and Dias thing where he ends up benching Holding and starting with Gabriel.

We’ve needed a ball playing CB on the right for a minute now. :drool:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Arteta was clear about wanting left-footed CBs on the left. Mari will interchange with Gabriel, not start alongside him.
Same way that Pep wanted a LCB on the left but the Dias-Stones partnership ended up working so well that he’s stuck with it.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Same way that Pep wanted a LCB on the left but the Dias-Stones partnership ended up working so well that he’s stuck with it.
Don't know how practicable it is to play two left footed CBs in the same backline.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Don't know how practicable it is to play two left footed CBs in the same backline.

There are plenty of two right footed central defensive partnerships so I don't see why not, I don't think it's that much of a problem.

Wolves have played a left footer on the right and a left footer on the right side of defence and central midfield quite often. The reasoning was so that the ball could be passed first time a fraction quicker than having to wait for the ball to come across the body to the stronger foot.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

There are plenty of two right footed central defensive partnerships so I don't see why not, I don't think it's that much of a problem.

Wolves have played a left footer on the right and a left footer on the right side of defence and central midfield quite often. The reasoning was so that the ball could be passed first time a fraction quicker than having to wait for the ball to come across the body to the stronger foot.

That’s what I was thinking. Might sound a pleb but has this one CB of either foot always been a thing?

Swear teams just used to play their best ones at go from there.

GabrielRJ

Hey guys, I'm from Brazil and also a Flamengo fan, Pablo Mari while he was here he was a very solid defender, very calm, with an amazing pass and superb heading skills. Although he is not the fastest defender, he has a decent pace and is almost always well positioned. We had a lot of tense games, specially in the Copa Libertadores of 2019 and he was great in mantain the defense - and the team - calm during the matches. I know that at first sight you have a kind of prejudice with the level of Brazilian Championship, but we have very good teams here and in Latin America, there are some players that does not even play in big teams here and are able to succeed in England. We are all wishing the best luck to Pablo Mari and Arsenal, he is loved by our fans. Btw, to tell you the truth: Pablo Mari >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Luiz. Mentally and technically.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Hey guys, I'm from Brazil and also a Flamengo fan, Pablo Mari while he was here he was a very solid defender, very calm, with an amazing pass and superb heading skills. Although he is not the fastest defender, he has a decent pace and is almost always well positioned. We had a lot of tense games, specially in the Copa Libertadores of 2019 and he was great in mantain the defense - and the team - calm during the matches. I know that at first sight you have a kind of prejudice with the level of Brazilian Championship, but we have very good teams here and in Latin America, there are some players that does not even play in big teams here and are able to succeed in England. We are all wishing the best luck to Pablo Mari and Arsenal, he is loved by our fans. Btw, to tell you the truth: Pablo Mari >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Luiz. Mentally and technically.

What do you think of our other Samba superstars?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I read this earlier and managed to find it again.

The last left-footed pairing at the back for Arsenal was Thomas Vermaelen and Mikael Silvestre in the 2009/10 season. It wasn't pretty.

I think its fair to say we will try to avoid it. So Gaby/Holding or Mari/Holding

Moleque

I read this earlier and managed to find it again.

The last left-footed pairing at the back for Arsenal was Thomas Vermaelen and Mikael Silvestre in the 2009/10 season. It wasn't pretty.

I think its fair to say we will try to avoid it. So Gaby/Holding or Mari/Holding
I don't think that ugliness was caused by their footedness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom