Pape Gueye

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The_Playmaker, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Camron

Camron Established Member

Exactly what we need. If he has a decent pass on him we are golden.

2. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

I suppose, but Guendouzi for example surpassed expectations but hes still far too young to be trusted on

3. Red London

Lets say we keep one of Auba or Laca, we'd need a winger, AM, CM, CB imo. So yeh its then up to Arteta about what position he wants to prioritise.

Now that I think about it maybe this would be smart. We are actually looking quite solid in CM and just need a different type of player. Im desperate for a number 8/10 though, would like us to sign either Ziyech or Grealish.

tap-in likes this.
  4. Idiotologue

Idiotologue Well-Known Member

Looks tidy from the highlights - good pass on him, can tackle. Has the height but needs to put on weight to be physically imposing. Haven't seen much to show that he can beat a press, though, and that's a must have as evidenced by Xhaka.

Could be a nice bargain purchase, but I still think Boubakary Soumaré and Ibrahim Sangaré should be seen as the chief targets for Xhaka replacement. Shouldn't be shy to spend for the midfield, that's the position that'll define where we are as a club.

Tourbillion likes this.
  5. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

Yes either of those and I'd be happy, we are definitely missing the goals that Ramsey added. I think Xhaka has improved but I'd sell him in the summer for £30m for sure, I'd be happy with Gueye, Willock, Torreira, Guendouzi + Ziyech or Grealish in midfield. I'd love to keep Auba for another year or two but I think he will want out. I don't want to keep Laca, that I'm certain of. Even if it meant having just Martinelli & Nketiah as our CF's.

6. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Superior Journalist To Charles Watts

Would be a good addition, these are the type of deals we should be looking at.

7. tcahill

tcahill Well-Known Member

"We need to pick those world class talents before they break through and become unaffordable."

"Young and comes from Ligue 2 he must be crap."

8. Red London

No one has said he would be crap or a bad signing though

9. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

Nobody is replacing Xhaka merely complementing him!

First Choice for the third manager in a row.

We should play with another cm not an Özil or özilesque cm anyway

10. LG10

LG10 Well-Known Member

We already have Xhaka and Torreira so I'm not sure why we'd get another 6. We need an 8 and a 10 desperately.

11. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

We need to upgrade on Xhaka. 2 out of those 3 managers who made Xhaka their first choice are currently not coaching. I hope Arteta learns from the mistakes of his predecessors

zilfy likes this.
  12. sykesy69

sykesy69 Active Member

So for 3 managers you haven't felt like Xhaxa needed upgrading?

I know MA is getting the best out of him and mitigating his floors, but can't we hope that there are options out there that can bring his best and more?

He's undroppable in our current state as there's no alternative, but that shouldn't mean he's not replaceable.

RunTheTrap likes this.
  13. YeahBee

Its One of the things they did correctly

14. YeahBee

Realistic upgrade No
    Unrealistic sure

15. Marjorie

Marjorie Well-Known Member

You can't talk about Xhaka as being irreplaceable, in the same way you could about many of our previous starting midfielders.

Is this guy gonna come in from ligue 2 and instantly become a Xhaka replacement though? Probably not.

I was watching a highlights package on youtube and he does seem to have something about him. If it's a low fee then it's a no brainer.

16. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Xhaka definitely isn't a 6 though. I see him as a creative midfielder ultimately, just a limited one because he isn't able to drive/dribble forward.

17. Gunner-Union

Gunner-Union Well-Known Member

Not against this as it will be cheap and France has a great record of producing good players of African descent. Not seen him play but he appears to be big and hopefully powerful.

18. LG10

LG10 Well-Known Member

He definitely is a 6, that’s where he made a name for himself at gladbach and where he’s been playing under Arteta.

StefanB likes this.
  19. StefanB

StefanB Well-Known Member

Would be an exciting this. Tall, skinny and unknown with good technique and passing ability. Could be worth 10 times the reported £6m in a season or two if he makes the step up.

20. Idiotologue

Idiotologue Well-Known Member

He's a 6 in the way he's positioned, but he's not a holding midfielder. Deep-lying playmaker with good physical attributes.

Fact of the matter is, his inability to beat the press and push forward puts a cap on his abilities as a player, especially as a PL player. He needs to be replaced with someone who can push forward.

There definitely are realistic targets who would be upgrades on Xhaka. Look around a bit. Look into Ligue 1, especially.

Dutch D likes this.