• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Patrick Vieira (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingReyes

Established Member
The only way we should sell Vieira is if we can guarantee a player of his standards being brought in. I think our best chance of getting value for money for him was last season.

Mark

Established Member
Selling Vieira would surely guarantee some good replacements brought in. I don't think we need to replace him in midfield, but we will use the money to buy a GK and a defender or two. Maybe even a striker.

n_henry

KingReyes said:
The only way we should sell Vieira is if we can guarantee a player of his standards being brought in. I think our best chance of getting value for money for him was last season.

ITA. There'd be no sense in selling him now - who are we going to replace him with? We're short of CMs as it is, and I don't think losing our captain in the middle of the season will do anything for the team's morale or confidence.
I wonder how much Real would offer now...

I feel last summer was his last chance of going to Real.

kel varnsen

Established Member
n_henry said:
KingReyes said:

ITA. There'd be no sense in selling him now - who are we going to replace him with? We're short of CMs as it is, and I don't think losing our captain in the middle of the season will do anything for the team's morale or confidence.
I wonder how much Real would offer now...

I feel last summer was his last chance of going to Real.

who cares. anyone!?! right now, savage would be an improvement. vieira's performances has been pathetic this season. get rid of him; he obviously doesn't want to be here.

n_henry

Yeah, 20mil would be a good price. God knows he hasn't earned that price tag this season, and it's not unreasonable to say that we've probably had the best of Paddy.

But I'm still a bit unsure. Who could we replace him with? If he was to go, we'd definitely need to bring in another midfielder (Gilberto's out for almost the rest of the season, Edu fiasco still unresolved, ditto for Flamini - we can only count on Cesc right now in CM!). Mascherano is apparently Chelsea's, Wenger "says" he doesn't want Essien... We'd need top class player. The only one I can think of is Gerrard. I guess if we get 20mil for Vieira, getting Gerrard wouldn't be completely impossible. But I doubt it.

And we know that Vieira merely wanting to leave has negatively affected our team spirit (even Henry's admitted that it's made him think twice about his future here). If he were to go now... well, I think it'd be an even bigger blow to our already low confidence/morale.

Would Real be willing to pay 20mil still? If they did make such an offer, we'd have to seriously consider it...

n_henry

kel varnsen said:
who cares. anyone!?! right now, savage would be an improbement. vieira's performances has been pathetic this season. get rid of him; he obiously doesn't want to be here.

I see your point and somewhat agree, but we'll need to do better than Savage. I just think that with so many problems in CM right now (injuries, contract issues etc), it's perhaps not the best time to be getting rid of our captain. And we'll need to replace him with quality, not mediocrity IMHO. Is Savage good enough to hold a starting XI place for us? I wouldn't say so.

But it is disappointingly clear he doesn't want to be here, and is probably cursing his missed chance of going to Real. He's looked both unmotivated and unable this season, and I agree that if he doesn't want to be here, then feck him (as harsh as that may sound).

Ah, the drama. I'm glad I don't have to make these big decisions.

PS - Personally, I don't think Wenger will sell him, even if Real did make an offer (unless it's an offer too good to refuse).

kel varnsen

Established Member
n_henry said:
kel varnsen said:
who cares. anyone!?! right now, savage would be an improbement. vieira's performances has been pathetic this season. get rid of him; he obiously doesn't want to be here.

I see your point and somewhat agree, but we'll need to do better than Savage. I just think that with so many problems in CM right now (injuries, contract issues etc), it's perhaps not the best time to be getting rid of our captain. And we'll need to replace him with quality, not mediocrity IMHO. Is Savage good enough to hold a starting XI place for us? I wouldn't say so.

But it is disappointingly clear he doesn't want to be here, and is probably cursing his missed chance of going to Real. He's looked both unmotivated and unable this season, and I agree that if he doesn't want to be here, then feck him (as harsh as that may sound).

Ah, the drama. I'm glad I don't have to make these big decisions.

PS - Personally, I don't think Wenger will sell him, even if Real did make an offer (unless it's an offer too good to refuse).

you do have a point; with edu and gilberto injured and flamini "suspended", we're stuck with vieira and fabregas. i don't know what the club should do. fabregas needs some rest, but we don't have any midfielders available. should we panic and just sign someone, or maybe wait until the end of season to sort things out.

in my opinion, we should definately try to sign a top notch midfielder. it doesn't matter if he's cup tied in europe. essien would be brilliant. whether we spend money now or this summer, is irrelevant.

awooga83

Established Member
I would agree that we should sell Vieira he just hasn't found his form this season and seems a shadow of his former self now why he is like this is anyones guest but he was an important player in our team but now i feel he is a contributing factor to our poor form and we could use the money.

JazzG

Established Member
If he continues to play like this then I for one would like to see him go. I prayed in the summer he would stay but so far this season his performances have been unacceptable.

patrick42uk

Established Member
lets sell vieira. so if we dont win the title next year we have an excuse ready-made. wwe cana blame it on wenger for selling one of our most important players.

nidza7

Established Member
Come on guys,he`s our captain-one bad season out of all great seasons before???
Anyway i can`t see anyone paying 20 mil. or more for him now after his displays recently and yet he might build up form in coming games.He`s top class player who have bad season playing in team coping with bad season for our standards and we must live with that for now.Next season may be just different case.Let`s hope for that.

Rapid88

Even though Patrick has been some way off his best, he is still a VERY important player. I dont want him to go.

Florida Gooner

Can't see why Real would want him considering his level of play, but if the price is right, I'm for it. Nobody is irreplaceable in sports, as history has shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom