• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Patrick Vieira (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koivu

I'm not happy at the prospect of losing Paddy for peanuts...a lot of the young guns look up to him. Fingers crossed that this is a load of b*ll*cks

Ryanzinhhio

I hope not

He really picked up at the backend of last year and showed the true vieira and next season we need him if we are going to be a force. How could we replace him? Espiecally so cheaply closeish to the start of the campaign.

AFCFan4Ever

I said this the other day but I that we're selling Vieira to fund a huge bid for SWP. I began thinking this the other day when the Vieira to Juve rumors really heated up and AW made his comments about wanting SWP. He knows the only way we could compete with Chelsea for his signature is to sell a player and put the funds towrds the bid...and now, Vieira is apparently gone. I may be way off base here but I think this is what's happening.

Legend#1

Established Member
AFCFan4Ever said:
I said this the other day but I that we're selling Vieira to fund a huge bid for SWP. I began thinking this the other day when the Vieira to Juve rumors really heated up and AW made his comments about wanting SWP. He knows the only way we could compete with Chelsea for his signature is to sell a player and put the funds towrds the bid...and now, Vieira is apparently gone. I may be way off base here but I think this is what's happening.

How does that help us replace Vieira though.

Cesc and Flamini?? Not ready imo.

Gilberto - Hleb

That sounds tasty.. but Hleb doesn't have the physical presense that Vieira has.. he's our Captain.. and everyone looks up to him.. all the youngsters.. it wouldn't make sense.

AFCFan4Ever

There aren't many players we could even bring in right now to replace Vieira...I think Hleb would do just fine next to Gilberto. I can't honestly believe that AW would sign off on selling Vieira unless he has someone, no matter who it is, in mind to take over that spot.

Ricky_AFC

Only comfort at the moment is that there is a big chance this is B.S. surely we wouldnt sell our captain for that measly amount. Also the meeting with Wenger and the board to decide about Vieira's future is later this week isnt it!?

lee1001

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
you having a laugh...? vieira irreplacable?!? absolutely not. he was sh*te for 2/3 of the season and only had about 3-4 really good performances. hardly irreplacable...

Baring in mind who is available and how much we have to spend who do we replace him with? Id really love to know.

AFCFan4Ever

No one knows how much we have left to spend so let's not try to speculate...you have to believe Wenger has someone in mind if he's going to sign off on this.

awooga83

Established Member
Not sure how to feel really, why did we kick up such a fuss last year to keep him only to relent this year for less.

Also while Vieira may have had a bad season hes still a good player and still probably our best cm even at his worst. So the thing is we get rid of him but then what, who replaces him. We have players with potential but no one ready to step in at this moment. He may not be irreplacable but his loss will diminish us as a team somewhat and to think anything elsewould be naive.

Can only hope theres a replacement lined up by Wenger otherwise i find the move confusing after last years fiasco.

osugunner

Maybe Wenger is looking for more attacking options through the CM. Paddy hasn't brought us that for a few seasons now. So who knows? I thought Hleb was tagged as a No. 10, atleast that's what i've read. I'm all for this if the price is right. But why not last season??? We were offered a ****load more than what we are now. I wish we could bring in that kid from Boca Juniors now!

dare29871

lee1001 said:
'IF' this is true..........

No No No!!!

This is terrible. He is the heart of our team. Irreplacable. For less than 10 million and Zebina/Appiah f****g who??!!

We are supposed to be keeping the team together and STRENGTHENING it further. How we do this by selling our best midfielder, the captain of Arsenal FC, I do not know.

What are the repurcussions of this? Will Pires now go? (Don't even get me started on that one) Will Cole refuse to sign a contract? Will Freddie now go as he recently said we needed to strengthen our squad for him to stay?

We are 4 weeks off the new season and in two months the Arsenal board have managed to buy ONE player even though it is rumoured we have 30m+ to spend.
It takes the club two weeks to negotiate one transfer!! If Vieira goes then we will need 3 players to come in. (No new keeper on the horizon! A lack of cover in defence!)

I'll be furious if Vieira is sold. :evil:

God this summer sucks so far!!

Grow a pair mate. Vieira on the basis of last seasons performances is expendable. You can be sure we have something on the cards if this does go through.

If Vieira really is the heart of our team, then it explains why we bottled it when we needed to fight for much of last season. Time for a transplant methinks.

goonerism

if this is true then next season we're ****ed.

we have all been excited about wengers "2 world class players" claim, and have waited patiently while nothing has happened ( i know we've signed hleb, who from what ive seen looks good, but world class?).

if we've lost paddy then we've lost 1 world class player, which means we now really need 3 world class players to weigh up our expectations.

if pires goes then we can make it 4 world class player we need to sign, you can see where im going

add to this the, IMO, 3 very good players we've lost already(pennant, edu, taylor) we may end up worse off than we were at the end of last season.

not only that, the one player we really wanted(baptista) looks like hes not coming now anyway

i think us arsenal fans, in terms of ambition, deserve more :( :( :(

Sol man

This is an awful deal. 13 million euros is crap. We can't even buy a player with half of PV's ability with that price. I am not happy at all.

dare29871

Sol man said:
This is an awful deal. 13 million euros is crap. We can't even buy a player with half of PV's ability with that price. I am not happy at all.

Err plus the £10M we save in wages. Think.

Legend#1

Established Member
I'm very upset at that fee if it is true.

Also.. you are all forgetting how important his presense is off the pitch.. to the youngsters and also in the dressing room.

Awful deal imo.

AFCFan4Ever

You guys are making it out like Vieira is still the best CM in the world and he's irreplaceable...please, his form is dropping and he had a pretty average season last year. He's on the downside of his career and to say that he can't find someone to replace him is ridiculous...you can better believe Wenger won't sign off on it unless he has a specific player or two in mind. Is losing Vieira tough? Sure it is, he's been with the club for a long time and been our captain, anytime you lose a player like that it's tough. Is it the end of Arsenal or signify that our summer is on the downward spiral? Absolutely not...trust in Arsène, he knows what he's doing FFS.

JazzG

Established Member
If Vieira is to leave it has be now so we can sign a replacement. Arsène Wenger is the best judge of whether Vieira will find his old form, if he doesn't think that is the case or has someone else in mind that is fine by me. The fee being mentioned does seem a tad low though, we will find out more tomorrow though.

Legend#1

Established Member
AFCFan4Ever said:
You guys are making it out like Vieira is still the best CM in the world and he's irreplaceable...please, his form is dropping and he had a pretty average season last year. He's on the downside of his career and to say that he can't find someone to replace him is ridiculous...you can better believe Wenger won't sign off on it unless he has a specific player or two in mind. Is losing Vieira tough? Sure it is, he's been with the club for a long time and been our captain, anytime you lose a player like that it's tough. Is it the end of Arsenal or signify that our summer is on the downward spiral? Absolutely not...trust in Arsène, he knows what he's doing FFS.

I'm not personally bothered.. I'd have rather we sold him last season.. I'm worried about the way it will be recieved by the team.

Also.. the price more than anything is RUBBISH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom