• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Patrick Vieira (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare29871

You mean like advising Cole to hold out for nothing less than 80k a week for his new contract? Or the leadership he show's EVERY summer with his regular dalliances with any club that looks his way.

Whatever. Young players will look upto the captain no matter who he is. Do you imagine they respect Bergkamp or Henry any less?

Legend#1

Established Member
JazzG said:
If Vieira is to leave it has be now so we can sign a replacement. Arsène Wenger is the best judge of whether Vieira will find his old form, if he doesn't think that is the case or has someone else in mind that is fine by me. The fee being mentioned does seem a tad low though, we will find out more tomorrow though.
The fee is awful compared to what we could have got last season.

IF we get a statement tomorrow from the club.. which we should.. he'll be missed but he'll be replaced.. I trust Wenger.

JazzG

Established Member
Well for all we know it could be £16mill which is a good price for him, we ain't gonna get £25mill for him because other clubs know he has come off 2 average seasons for someone of his standards. Remember none of this is confirmed yet, just rumours so a bit early to start moaning about the fee when we have no idea what it is!

Legend#1

Established Member
JazzG said:
Well for all we know it could be £16mill which is a good price for him, we ain't gonna get £25mill for him because other clubs know he has come off 2 average seasons for someone of his standards. Remember none of this is confirmed yet, just rumours so a bit early to start moaning about the fee when we have no idea what it is!
It's a known fact that Juve don't have that sort of money.

That is why the player + deal has been offered.

JazzG

Established Member
Aren't Juve owned by some big car company? They also bring in a nice healthy amount from TV companies and didn't spend much last summer so they might have cash to burn. These Italian clubs are well dodgy as well so even if they are upto their nose in debt they still seem to have £20mill laying around ;)

Legend#1

Established Member
JazzG said:
Aren't Juve owned by some big car company? They also bring in a nice healthy amount from TV companies and didn't spend much last summer so they might have cash to burn. These Italian clubs are well dodgy as well so even if they are upto their nose in debt they still seem to have £20mill laying around ;)

Well reports suggest they haven't got money to spend.. so we'll see.

Sol man

dare29871 said:
Sol man said:
This is an awful deal. 13 million euros is crap. We can't even buy a player with half of PV's ability with that price. I am not happy at all.

Err plus the £10M we save in wages. Think.
Oh please spare me the rubbish. So you think we will not pay the players coming in from the swap and the player that replaces paddy. We have taken a step backwards with this deal.

asajoseph

Established Member
This is all over the media tonight, so I guess all will become clear tomorrow.

On one hand, Vieira has been a world class influence in the centre of our midfield for almost a decade, and will be bloody tough to replace. Ok, so he was poor last year, but a lot of players, even the best in the world, have a bad season occasionally. My belief has always been that he'd return to his best next season, and will do another fantastic job for the club.

But as I've said elsewhere, the man in the perfect position to make that judgement is Arsène Wenger. Maybe he believes that Vieira will perform the rest of his career at the same level as he did this season. Maybe he believes Tony Adams' assessment, and Vieira really will end up being injured constantly for the last few years of his career. Maybe he's got a player earmarked who will be better than Vieira ever was. In any of those scenarios, selling Vieira for 12 million is a great deal. And getting a player like Zebina, who won't necessarily be 1st choice but will give us much needed backup in defence, will be another bonus.

This is something we just have to trust Wenger on - and after all he's done for the club, I think he's earned that trust, at least until the start of the season. We've lost massive players before, and come back stronger. Vieira will take some replacing, but we're just being stupid if we think Wenger doesn't realise that too. At the end of the day, we're selling a 29 year old player who was poor last season. For that, 10-12 million is far from a bad price. Of course, I did say I think he'll bounce back, but I trust Wenger to make the right judgement in this case. If he get's it wrong, I'll criticise with the rest of you, I'm sure, but for now he has my trust.

Remember, Vieira WILL leave eventually. He will go downhill, his body will fall to pieces, and his form will drop, just like happens to everyone when they get to a certain age. One day, the club will be without Vieira, and we'll have to replace him. That could be tomorrow, or that could be in 3 years time. But if Wenger thinks the club is ready to move on now, taking 12 million for the guy is not the worst thing in the world. Of course we need to replace him, and I trust Wenger to do that, even if I can't think of how myself.

So thanks Paddy, I for one appreciate what you've done and wish you well. And good luck Arsène, it's a brave move, but you've earned our trust.

Sol man

JazzG said:
From the reports its not £16 million it is 16 million euros which is crap as far as I am concerned.

Legend#1

Established Member
Sol man said:
dare29871 said:
Sol man said:
This is an awful deal. 13 million euros is crap. We can't even buy a player with half of PV's ability with that price. I am not happy at all.

Oh please spare me the rubbish. So you think we will not pay the players coming in from the swap and the player that replaces paddy. We have taken a step backwards with this deal.

We don't know the exact figure of if it's definately confirmed.

It's not a step backwards.. we're never going to see the 98-2001 Vieira ever again.. we need to move forward.. I trust Wenger with my heart to replace Vieira.

Legend#1

Established Member
asajoseph said:
This is all over the media tonight, so I guess all will become clear tomorrow.

On one hand, Vieira has been a world class influence in the centre of our midfield for almost a decade, and will be bloody tough to replace. Ok, so he was poor last year, but a lot of players, even the best in the world, have a bad season occasionally. My belief has always been that he'd return to his best next season, and will do another fantastic job for the club.

But as I've said elsewhere, the man in the perfect position to make that judgement is Arsène Wenger. Maybe he believes that Vieira will perform the rest of his career at the same level as he did this season. Maybe he believes Tony Adams' assessment, and Vieira really will end up being injured constantly for the last few years of his career. Maybe he's got a player earmarked who will be better than Vieira ever was. In any of those scenarios, selling Vieira for 12 million is a great deal. And getting a player like Zebina, who won't necessarily be 1st choice but will give us much needed backup in defence, will be another bonus.

This is something we just have to trust Wenger on - and after all he's done for the club, I think he's earned that trust, at least until the start of the season. We've lost massive players before, and come back stronger. Vieira will take some replacing, but we're just being stupid if we think Wenger doesn't realise that too. At the end of the day, we're selling a 29 year old player who was poor last season. For that, 10-12 million is far from a bad price. Of course, I did say I think he'll bounce back, but I trust Wenger to make the right judgement in this case. If he get's it wrong, I'll criticise with the rest of you, I'm sure, but for now he has my trust.

Remember, Vieira WILL leave eventually. He will go downhill, his body will fall to pieces, and his form will drop, just like happens to everyone when they get to a certain age. One day, the club will be without Vieira, and we'll have to replace him. That could be tomorrow, or that could be in 3 years time. But if Wenger thinks the club is ready to move on now, taking 12 million for the guy is not the worst thing in the world. Of course we need to replace him, and I trust Wenger to do that, even if I can't think of how myself.

So thanks Paddy, I for one appreciate what you've done and wish you well. And good luck Arsène, it's a brave move, but you've earned our trust.

Well said once more Asa.

We'll see tomorrow.

awooga83

Established Member
I agree Asa, i have faith in wenger its just a little confusing after last year and the clubs position then.With Vieira also saying that we'd hear nothing about him wanting to leave the club this summer it would be a 'quiet summer' in his words, with that comment it seems to be a backtrack from the club which i find confusing but I trust in Wenger to do the right thing.

asajoseph

Established Member
I suppose the thing we have to ask is, after years of fighting to keep Vieira, why have we capitulated so quickly this time? Things don't happen for no reason, and there must be something behind it. We're not trying to fail, that's for sure, and I suspect Wenger has very good reasons for allowing this to happen (if indeed it is about to happen - it's not confirmed until it's confirmed!)

JazzG

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I suppose the thing we have to ask is, after years of fighting to keep Vieira, why have we capitulated so quickly this time? Things don't happen for no reason, and there must be something behind it. We're not trying to fail, that's for sure, and I suspect Wenger has very good reasons for allowing this to happen (if indeed it is about to happen - it's not confirmed until it's confirmed!)

I'm detecting a big change at our club. For the first time in a while we might have 2 wingers who can beat men with pace and are good dribblers. We might be going for a big more traditional forward which means more crossing for us which is unlike us and what our football has stood for. Maybe Wenger has finally decided his old methods aren't working and he needs to do some big tweaking to everything about our game. Vieira might be another who Wenger feels we can do without and he might have another player in mind, for 2 seasons now he hasn't been at his best and can we risk a third with so much at stake next season? Also for all we know Vieira might not fit in Wenger's plans anymore and wants a different type of player for that position, maybe more of an attacking player in the Ballack mould?

All just guess work though and I guess we will know more tomorrow why and if we have let him go. I would be suprised if we have let him go to Juve on the cheap though as you know R.Madrid would probably still go for him as they have missed out on Gerrard so could spark of a mini bidding war between them and Juve!

dare29871

Sol man said:
dare29871 said:
Sol man said:

Spare you the rubbish? :roll:

I'm merely prompting you to engage your brain when you say this deal is only worth x amount to the club.

The powers that be at the club clearly believe that Vieira isn't worth the money we're paying him-given his level of performance in recent times and the fact that he is more than likely already reached the peak of his pwers.

Do you honestly believe Vieira would be willing to take a pay-cut if his level of performances continue to decline or become more sporadic?

The facts remain that the sale of Vieira for whatever the fee maybe, also rids us of our highest earner.

We will be able utilise the £10M (over the length of his 2 year contract) saved on paying Vieira's wages + £11-13M transfer fee, on bringing in new players and paying their wages. To which they will no doubt be on comparatively lesser deals.

OleJose

He hasn't been effective for a season and a half save a decent few performances...i would take £12m without a second thought and stick Gilberto and Cesc in the middle of the park. Maybe Arsène sees this time as a suitable opportunity to have a slight transition as Chelski are going to be so difficult to overcome with their blood money showing no signs of ending. In my opinion Vieira has shown that he is neither the player nor the leader he once was.

IN Arsène WE TRUST

efurze

Could AW be trying to bring Baptista in as Vieira's replacement? He's big and strong and started out as a DCM. Imagine having a DCM who can also score 20 a season.

asajoseph

Established Member
OleJose said:
He hasn't been effective for a season and a half save a decent few performances...i would take £12m without a second thought and stick Gilberto and Cesc in the middle of the park. Maybe Arsène sees this time as a suitable opportunity to have a slight transition as Chelski are going to be so difficult to overcome with their blood money showing no signs of ending. In my opinion Vieira has shown that he is neither the player nor the leader he once was.

IN Arsène WE TRUST

Cesc in the middle? Yeah, great, for 20 games a season. He's still a kid, was great last season but clearly isn't up to being relied upon as a first teamer. Wenger goes for stability, wherever possible, and won't rely on a rotation system in the middle of the park. Fabregas is a superb talent, but is nowhere near ready to be called upon as a regular first team player. He played too many games last season, and suffered burnout because of it. If Vieira goes, he needs to be replaced, no doubt about it. If Hleb's that replacement, then Edu still needs to be replaced. We can't just let Vieira go and carry on as if nothing happened.

But like you, I trust Arsène to do the right thing, and that means sign the right guy to replace Paddy, in the short or long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom