• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Patrick Vieira (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjan

dev_atdi said:
There's probably only a few players who could replace Big Pat at the end of the day...but I honestly can't see Wenger signing any of them.

Gattuso from Milan - he doesn't really do the whole Italian thing.
Gerrard - Staying with Liverpool, far too much money.
Davids (possibly) - Maybe should've got him a few seasons ago when he was at the top of his game, but I still can't see Wenger getting him now.

It's all a big mystery to be honest. Both the transfer and who exactly he'll be signing as a replacement. I'm not believing ANYTHING 'til I see it officially announced...

Another name for that list IMO is Hedwiges Maduro from Ajax.

Young, talented, relatively cheap

kel varnsen

Established Member
lee1001 said:
kel varnsen said:
you having a laugh...? vieira irreplacable?!? absolutely not. he was sh*te for 2/3 of the season and only had about 3-4 really good performances. hardly irreplacable...

Baring in mind who is available and how much we have to spend who do we replace him with? Id really love to know.

ballack, diarra, gattuso, de rossi, schweinsteiger, baraja, albelda, beckham, sneijder and surely a ton of other players i don't remember right now. replacing vieira, considering his performance this season, is not difficult.

to be honest, i don't really think we need a direct replacement for vieira. just like we don't need one for bergkamp. the team needs to evolve and move on now. hleb will play together with gilberto and all of a sudden we have pace, flair and vision in central midfield. that means we don't need a hanging forward a la bergkamp to get our football flowing. bring in baptista; a powerful forward whose very presence would open up space for thierry, freddie and pires. i'm loving this! finally wenger realizes that vieira isn't what he used to be...

Ratinho

Established Member
bernard_trollop_dollop said:
And we were so succesful in it with Vieira.
Vieira has been one of the best things to happenm to Arsenal since Tony Adams

your twisted guy

vieira is a player that you build your team around, im not saying you cant move on without him but it will be very difficult
he's a leader for heavens sake and teflon in our midfied
you can't build a team around players like gilberto, cesc and flamini
1 day maybe
if you really think selling vieira is a positive move then thats pathetic

Jesus, mongs like you should have their f**king hands removed just to stop them making pricks out of themselves. Right f**kwit, listen up: :(

Vieira wants to leave. We are not selling him off, Juventus came in, Vieira said he wants to go, so we negotiate a deal. Do any of us want our captain to leave? No. Do we think we should whine about it and declare it the end of Arsenal? No. Is he irreplacable? F**k no.

You want to hear what's pathetic? A supposed fan of a club thinking everything there is s**t barring one player, which is what you've said once already.

JGooner

kel varnsen - i think you might be on to something. I have suspected for a while - based on Wenger's known targets - that he wants to ditch the "double pivot" system (i.e. two defensive CMs) in favour of one defensive CM partnered with a creative playmaking CM. We know he was interested in Nakata a couple of years ago because he said so. He bought Hleb obviously. There are other playmakers he wanted who I could name if I could be bothered to trawl the internet. I think we'll see a real change next season.

A

Anonymous

Last year I was in France during the Vieira to Madrid stories. Leading up to the community shield the paper L'equipe had a number or articles on how Arsène would change his formation (if Vieira left) to 4-5-1 with a flowing midfield.

I did not believe the paper untill I saw the match and sure enough we played 4-5-1. The Sky Sports people picked up on it with a midfield of-

...........................Gilberto......................Cesc

........Pennant........................Bergkamp........................Reyes

We all know how well it worked against United and then the next week Vs Everton. I dont think we will miss Vieira as a team as Wenger is a genius but other clubs around Europe such as Real and Barca will now see us as a selling club and may move for the likes of Henry.

LeTallec

this is bloody cheap.. although I saw Vieira at Anfield when he blatantly dived and he was poor.. i think the move would be good for both

Sol man

Well Wengers words were reassuring. There is a revolution about to begin at Arsenal. Thanks Paddy for his time with us.

slimkrazy

Hi guys,

My first post on this board, and what a time to do it... Paddy leaves us.

I'm still sitting here at work because I don't quite know what to do with myself now. On one hand I'm thinking "He's really not what he used to be", but on the other hand I'm thinking about all he stood for. He was our captain...

I have to agree with Sol Man - Wengers word were VERY re-assuring... He has something up his sleeve. Am I the only one who thinks that the club seemed only too happy to sell Paddy this time? There is a definate big name coming into the club... SWP perhaps?

I'd just like to say that I wish Paddy well in Italy, and thanks for the memories... However, for any of you gooners who are annoyed/angry - remember one thing: No one player is bigger than the club & I have more faith in Arsène than I do in any one player (as should you). Everything we are now is down to the manager - He's done a fantastic job, and I honestly believe that this coming season we will do better in Europe then we've ever done because we will have a new system that other teams will not be able to cope with.

Rant over - I'm going home to have a beer and reflect

Army of Me

Established Member
slimkrazy, pretty much sums up what i was thinking - AW obviously thought now is the time to change things about and I'm positive he knows exactly what he's doing.

i'm just gonna cry for a bit then get back to doing my crazy **** :cry:

that'll do.

I share the sadness with our supporters that Patrick has left us, but on the other hand I would say to them trust us and support us. We’ll be strong next season and we need you behind us like you have always been. We will not disappoint you.

fatalfury

Well, I have one big question? Who's gonna take over as Captain? I don't think Henry is cut out for the job.

AH, Thanks for the memories PV4!

fatalfury

Well, I have one big question? Who's gonna take over as Captain? I don't think Henry is cut out for the job.

AH, Thanks for the memories PV4!

MikeBart19

Senderos for captain! If we're going for a revolution we may as well go all the way, this guy has the character, and quality to drive us on for the next 10 years.

KingReyes

Established Member
LeTallec said:
this is bloody cheap.. although I saw Vieira at Anfield when he blatantly dived and he was poor.. i think the move would be good for both

Its not that cheap. i was hoping for 16 million but we ended up getting close to 14. You have to remember he is 29 years old with only 2 years left on his contract, we could have done better but we didn't do too bad IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom