• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pedro Neto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I'm struggling to find any real convincing argument for why Neto would be a better buy than Pino. Anyone got one?
Yeah Knows the league.
If he has fully recovered from his injury & kicks on he should be a top player.
I've not really seen Pino much & don't know how much he would cost. If Tets/ Edu have identified him then they obviously feel he should fit the system?
But I guess always a risk if you spend big from outside as the prem is unforgiving & not for everyone.
He could be labelled the new expensive mistake from abroad if things don't work & maybe it would be hard to recoup a decent fee?

Gunners1616

Really don't rate Neto that much... no end product. Wouldn't spend more than 30M on him. Nice option to have to challenge Saka/Martinelli but definitely not for 50M+ .

Even this weekend, he managed to get the worst rating out of the 22 starters on Sofascore.

1661814439135.png

Legend14

Established Member
Really don't rate Neto that much... no end product. Wouldn't spend more than 30M on him. Nice option to have to challenge Saka/Martinelli but definitely not for 50M+ .

Even this weekend, he managed to get the worst rating out of the 22 starters on Sofascore.

View attachment 8926
Trying not to be so so critical of Neto due to the injury and the challenge getting back up to speed, but this is the truth. He is not up to speed yet and some of us need to embrace this. If we want impact now, he is not the player.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Even if Chelsea would bid for Zaha, I'd like to think, given how good we currently are and him being an Arsenal fan would put it in our favor.

The more I think about it, I would still want him here on the 3rd attempt. He is not super old yet and would add a looooot

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I'm struggling to find any real convincing argument for why Neto would be a better buy than Pino. Anyone got one?
I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk, convincing argument because you can make a case for both, but Neto has experience of this league, his (pre-injury) numbers are from a harder league and he also has no adjustment period for moving countries and the risk that goes with that (ie. with Torreira).

Although he's lost a year of football, 22 is potentially a more useful age for a first team player than 19 - this is very subjective of course but a few years of growing, strength work and life takes him a bit closer to his footballing peak (very much in theory).

If you compare their underlying numbers it's quite interesting. Pino has a great skill set and basically trump's Neto on all the defensive stuff like pressing, tackles etc. He has also scored twice the number of goals/90 despite his young age. However Neto's "expected" numbers are high and their expected G+A/90 is basically identical (0.4) and with Neto that includes about 600 minutes from his injury to now when he's been bang out of form or recovering. Whether you take that as future potential, or a red flag for now is subjective I think.

Neto is also more creative - significantly higher SCA's, better dribbler (higher volume, more success), generally better passing stats and more influential (more touches, passes etc). Also has a decent shot volume which maybe suggest's his numbers pick up in a better team than Wolves. Pino is really young though so will also likely improve as he matures.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

View attachment 8926
That's interesting, everywhere I've been reading has reported that he had a good game. The BBC player ratings had Neto second overall from the players of both Wolves and Newcastle. Admittedly a distant second behind Ruben Neves but that's another story...

Screenshot_2022-08-30-07-35-20-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

PL proven, was a raising star before his injury, good pace and skill, left footed (so good option as Saka replacement).

Pino is surely the more risky move.

Well said. Both are expensive and risky however you slice it anyways, but prem proven gets the nod from me. Without the knee injury I’d be more confident.

Goonger

Trying not to be so so critical of Neto due to the injury and the challenge getting back up to speed, but this is the truth. He is not up to speed yet and some of us need to embrace this. If we want impact now, he is not the player.

I don't think we need big impact now. Give the new guy the Europa League games, maybe the occasional easier home game, sub appearances etc. There would be plenty of time for someone like Neto to build up form and fitness. Hes starting matches, it's just getting that extra 5% form and confidence he had pre injury.

kyrubus

From the match compilation vs Leeds two weeks ago you can clearly see what he brings to a side. He has a danger factor in all his actions, he 's hungry, he goes from the right and from the left. Versatility on display. And being only 22 year old, he will evolve in these things.

Even if he does this every second or third match, Neto would be a great signing.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

For someone who arguably doesn't walk into the side (Martinelli?) he does seem expensive.

Legend14

Established Member
I don't think we need big impact now. Give the new guy the Europa League games, maybe the occasional easier home game, sub appearances etc. There would be plenty of time for someone like Neto to build up form and fitness. Hes starting matches, it's just getting that extra 5% form and confidence he had pre injury.
Arteta and team would need to assess the recovery state of the player, especially when spending so much. I would wait a year, but they may not. Lets see what happens. Fans should lower expectations, because he does not look ready to sub in for Saka.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

In light of recent developments, this thread should be closed.

He's a luxury player at this point with his price tag. We need to get in 2 players at least with the funds required to bring him in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom