• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pennant starts talking sense...

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I would also like Jermaine to do well, as long as we win. then I'd like him to come back and prove that he can cut it with Arsenal. Wonder what sort of response he'll get from the fans tomorrow?..

JGooner

One of the reasons I opposed the idea of loaning him to Leeds is that I don't think any manager, even one as astute as Wenger, can make an adequate judgement about a player by observing his peformances in a completely different (and far inferior) team with completely different (and far inferior) players in a completely different (and far inferior) club environment. Leeds, at least the contemporary version, is so different to Arsenal that Pennant's time there was never going to reveal that much. The fact that, after almost a full season there, we are still trying to work out whether he has been a success or a failure demonstrates my point.

The real value of this kind of loan arrangement is that the player gets to physically adapt to the rigours of Prem football - and to that extent, it has been worthwhile. But we'll never know whether Pennant is good enough for Arsenal until we play him regularly in the Arsenal first team. The problem for Wenger, of course, is that we have so few "meaningless" games in which to risk youngsters. Every Prem game is important because we are competing for the title every season. We are victims of our own success, in that respect.

On a related point, this is why I think we all have to acknowledge that, however much we dislike Alex Ferguson, his introduction of the '92 generation of kids into his first team was one of the most extraordinary managerial accomplishments on the modern era. He was under immense pressure (having won nothing in the 1994/95 season) and responded to it by selling "stars" like Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis and replacing them with unproven kids like Scholes, Butt, the Nevilles, and that Beckham guy. He won the double. The audacity of this gamble - and the fact it worked so spectacularly - still astounds me.

Returning to Pennant, I don't think he has a future at Arsenal. Wenger wants to develop youth, but his focus is on guys like Cesc, Bentley, Hoyte, and Senderos - players he feels are trustworthy, professional and serious about achieveing something. Pennant probably has improved his character over the past 9 months, but I still get the impression that he likes being a professional footballer because of the fame, the money, and the social life. When he talks about how great a city Leeds is, he isn't referring to the museums. I don't blame him - he comes from a poor, broken home in one of the grimmer districts of Nottingham, so living the footballer lifestyle must seem like an achievement in itself, regardless of whether he actually achieves anything in the game. However, this doesn't change the fact that he probably lacks the self-discipline and willingness to make sacrifices that are both essential to prosper at a club like Arsenal, where players have to be in bed early, eat only raw or boiled food, and train with deadly seriousness.

Although (as I say above) it is so hard to judge his quality as a player, I certainly like his style of play. He is more elegant that the average winger. He has a low centre of gravity, because of his compact shape. He never punts the ball 20 yards ahead and chases for it like an idiot - he always keeps the ball in close touch and carries it with him. He beats people quite well, and his crossing is decent. His strike rate is very poor - although, again, would it still be poor if he was playing alongside Henry, Reyes, etc? There's only one way to find out...

johe

I think that one can only learn from ones mistakes. If he was drink driving 1 time thats bad. If he does it twice or thrice or even more time thats even worse. But if he can learn to never do it again, I'd let it go and forget the past. We all make mistakes sometimes and some are mature enough not to make the bad ones, other make them, and hopefully learn from them. I believe that everyone can learn humility, it's just that it comes natural to some, like Kolo Toure or Jose Reyes. I hope he can learn to work 100% on and off the pitch, even when he doesn't get to play. I don't know if he can change his attitude, but I believe he can, and if does, I'm sure he could become a nice squad member.

If he's not good enough, thats another deal, but I do believe he CAN change his ways.

We should have packed him off to Southamptons yearly training camp in Scotland ;D He'd surely learn som humility

Great Gunman

A.M.A.G. said:
I don't believe that him being at Leeds is going to instill any sort of grit/fight/determination in him. The flaw in this theory is that his future is not in anyway 100% linked with the fortunes of Leeds as a club. He is an Arsenal player... if Leeds stay up, then he looks good cause he stuck it out... if they go down, ah well! back to Arsenal! Its a win-win situation for him. Unlike players who are 100% Leeds players, it is unlikely that he is having the same fear of the possibility of relegation. His situation is similar to a European volunteer who goes to some poor country... he/she can relate to the local people to some extent... but at the end of the tour of duty, he/she gets to go back to much better conditions. If Pennant comes back to Arsenal, he'll probably be better from the experience of steady first team ball... but in terms of drive/grit... it probably wont be worthy of mention

You are contractiding your A.M.A.G. 1) You?re presuming that playing for Leeds wouldn't install any sort of grit/fight/determination in him but them he would benefit from steady first team ball. As you know confidence comes from playing 1st team football recurrently, that is how you can build your confidence and hopefully as will get better, from the highlights of Leeds matches, Pennant has improved considerably.

Everyone talks about Pennant attitude, fair enough, he has done something wrong and he deserves some respect for saying so, unlike Anelka, who was disrespectful of AW, some people in the forum their memory has elapsed. Freddie has not been a pinnacle of his game at the moment and could face some stiff competition with Pennant and Wiltord , poor upfront as well as on the wing.

I heard some of your drooling over Wright-Phillips; when our own Pennant does exactly the same as impact on the game as he does.

chris66 said:
I believe Pennant only has one year left on his current deal - so the acid test will be if Arsène offers him an extension this summer. I can't see us keeping a player next year who might improve and then be able to walk away for free at the end of the year. It will also be an interesting test of Pennant's willingness to commit himself with no guarantees - very much like the Upson situation all over again.

If I were putting money on it I'd probably bet he will NOT be at Arsenal next year. Hope I'm wrong.

Aw isn?t always right because from as a reserve player, Upson has reached the peak of his career and go on to represent England, considering Cycan was ahead of him in the pecking line, so don?t tell me that AW doesn?t favour his country men. Now look at Cycan, where is he? Exactly!!!!!!!

I hope Pennant has a brilliant game as us, so maybe AW might change his mind but as chris66, he wouldn't be here at Arsenal next season.

orion

Losing your licence doesn't sound like maturing in the way one would hope. When I've seen him play for Leeds he has good moments and has the vision to give some great passes, but then he tends to go to sleep at times and his defensive input is not all that great. If he really want's to make it at Arsenal and be a really top player he will need to work, work and work his socks off and stop telling how good he is or will be.

I don't think Arsène no longer has this player in his plans, which is a shame, but talent only gets you that far, rest is about attitude and grit.

lewdikris

Established Member
That's a comment with a barbed ending if ever there were one: 'if he accepts that he has to fight for his position'. JP's always seemed to want some kind of guarantees - there are none in football.

Senght

Ive liked this guy since he came to the Gunners and I want him to do well. I don't really care about his attitude since he is only 21. I shoot my mouth off sometimes(im 16). His dazzling pace and dribbling has won many Leeds and Arsenal fans(me at least) over. Hope Clichy will have a gd game against him though.

I want him to do well but a 3 points is a must.

KingReyes

Established Member
OoDy said:
http://www.ananova.com/sport/soccer/story/sm_923910.html?menu=sport.football

"In my opinion, especially recently, he has done extremely well. All the reports have been very good. He should be back next season and we want him, if he accepts that he has to fight for his position."

He might get his chance after all next season

Yep..hopefully so. i thought it was all gloom for JP but things are looking better. Hope he makes it.

link

EJub

I wouldn't be surprised if Pennant is being proped up now so he can be sold at a higher price.

Jinn

Established Member
Jeez, that's cynical.

I don't agree actually. Wenger must have been impressed by how Pennant sounded in the press, coming out and saying he'll work for his place.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom