• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Per Mertesacker: The BFG

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You don't head an academy at an elite club just because you're a nice guy and everyone likes you.
No, but it certainly helps when the club is Arsenal. Per clearly has an in depth understanding of the game and is a very influential character. That's what we're signing.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
CRyeZxSWcAAc-10.png
:lol: He was just... there.

grunger

Although BFG had a great final, let's not get carried away, how many times were fans moaning about him for his slowness etc last year, it'sa no brainer not to try and get VVD.

Bergklings

My tingly testicle senses tell me that I suspect there is a battle of succession happening here.
Lehman chosen by some of the board (Ze bald one) to perhaps one day take over the reigns. Whereas wenger and his followers may see Mert as a unique football mind who seems keen to learn from weng, and be perfect grooming material for a future managerial position with "l'Arsenal values".

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Yeah, it was only our poor finishing that stopped it being embarrassing for the champions.

Linson

Although BFG had a great final, let's not get carried away, how many times were fans moaning about him for his slowness etc last year, it'sa no brainer not to try and get VVD.

I think the final proved the exact opposite - in a back 3 you don't need pace individually as long as there is someone beside you with pace. He was magnificent in that game and showed he's still got it.

I've been saying for years now that Mertesacker isn't necessarily about how good he is as an individual, he's more about synergy, everyone else plays better when he is there.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind VVD coming in. I think someone (Gabriel for me) would have to leave to accomodate him though.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ffs you must be joking here mate. You're blatantly biased if you're serious, we swept Chelsea off the floor tactically and Wenger certainly deserves a lot of credit for that.
It's like a 'great penalty'... They're all great when they go in.

We did our bit, but Chelsea also contributed to their own downfall. Tactically, I never saw what we tried to do that was so different from previous games. We had a few special performances (Per MOTM for me--incredible performance) and a slice of luck on the day that made the difference.

Arsenal in Aus

Mertesacker played ok last night, but was caught out of position a couple of times and didn't have the pace to recover effectively. I did like that after the match he spent some time applauding the crowd (esp at the end where the most vocal support was) and how he lead the team around with the 'appreciate your support' sign. Clearly a leader of the team.

Bendtneer

I think we are going with 3 at the back this season and it would be **** going the set of Centerback we have..Only koscielny is a guarenteed starter for me to an extend Mustafa too but we have to buy a world class cb.Bonucci went for 40 million euros last night to Milan.Im sure Juve would have preferred to sell abroad.

tcahill

I think we are going with 3 at the back this season and it would be **** going the set of Centerback we have..Only koscielny is a guarenteed starter for me to an extend Mustafa too but we have to buy a world class cb.Bonucci went for 40 million euros last night to Milan.Im sure Juve would have preferred to sell abroad.

Seeing as Monreal seems to have nailed down that LCB position, that leaves us with 6 CBs to compete for the other two spots. Even if you discount that yuppie Gabriel, thats still 5 solid options. CB is one of our last priorities right now and pretty sure Wenger feels the same way.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/18/per-mertesacker-arsenal

Came across this interview published today and found it pretty insightful about Per's thoughts and ideas and generally his relationship with people.

Top man. I am proud of having his kind here.

Read that one as well, and I can see why Wenger wants to keep him at the club. Erudite, intelligent and mature, he has the ingredients for a good coach. Clearly someone that can teach our youngsters a thing or two.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Great interview absolutely wonderful human being, would love for him to be our manager at some stage, think he could be a great manager. He's cool, calm and is very intelligent.

{reed}

Poundland GDeep
I had high hopes for him after the FA Cup final. It seems like it was a false dawn, the guy is finished for Wenger.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Makes zero sense. He's been sensational in his last 2 performances. We don't exactly have Chiellini and Bonucci keeping him out. I get that Liverpool's pace maybe was not the best matchup for him but he could have made a difference against Stoke.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Always been a fan of this guy tbh - was a bit meh when he joined but he quickly won me over. What a guy and what a player - he just gets what representing a club is about

Top Bottom