• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Per Mertesacker: The BFG

tcahill

Seeing as he's probably going to be our starting CB now that Mustafi is out, how has he been performing in cup games this season? I haven't really heard much about him good or bad.

skip spence

Seeing as he's probably going to be our starting CB now that Mustafi is out, how has he been performing in cup games this season? I haven't really heard much about him good or bad.
I've seen him play a couple of games. Didn't put a foot wrong really but the opposition wasn't very good and he did look slower than ever. Should do alright in a back three with some pace to back him up.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

If Kos is still out he'll be our main CB. Chambers should be fit again but already we are looking careless for not bringing in a top CB in the summer. Déjà vu!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Chambers still has a hip injury. Per and Holding are the main men. And good old reliable Nacho of course.

tcahill

Monreal-Per-Kos looks solid on paper, and we'll get Chambers back soon. Still not sure what's happening with Holding.

At least Ox is gone so Arsène is physically unable to do that Kolasinac-Monreal-RCB bs.

Tom349

Not sure why this guy is escaping criticism for his performance against Watford. Was incredibly weak for their second goal and stood there a number of times when they were having shots from just outside the box. It is little wonder the likes of Xhaka are standing around the box when they have insipid captain who refuses to put his body on the line when it is needed.

IslingtonBornandbred

Not sure why this guy is escaping criticism for his performance against Watford. Was incredibly weak for their second goal and stood there a number of times when they were having shots from just outside the box. It is little wonder the likes of Xhaka are standing around the box when they have insipid captain who refuses to put his body on the line when it is needed.

Per is always up and down. There are some who see him like a legend, a man mountain and there are others that recognise he pretty much sums up the defensive frailties at our club.

Yes, he has had good games, yes he played brilliantly against Chelsea in the Cup, and yes he says the right things. In my opinion, he's a liability. He's slow, he's cost us a lot of times with his lack of pace, he's always a slip or fall from a disaster and most importantly, there have been numerous occasions where he's ducked and cowered from shots which have lead to goals.

There is a reason he's retiring at the end of the season to become the academy manager, and obviously there must be major concerns about a guy who is transitioning into a non playing role at the end of the season playing regularly in the EPL for a supposedly top club.

tcahill

He's at a squaddie level and that's how Wenger plays him. Mustafi is ahead of him in the middle CB position, as he should be. No problems here.

say yes

forum master baiter
Love what he brings to the team in terms of character but remembering game by game why he was phased out.

Needs to sharpen up. Far too tentative at times.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The sooner Chambers is fit and ready the better. I love Per but his playing days should have ended when we won the FA Cup, he was great on that day but since then its easy to see his career is near the end.

blaze_of_glory

Yeah I don't think there's much doubt he's past his best and should not be first choice if everyone is fit. Can still contribute this year though and has done so far when needed.

IslingtonBornandbred

You club captain ladies and gents.

He's was a walking, slow jogging liability in the first place. Why is a guy retiring at the end of the season who is clearly just a mascot starting in the EPL? He's got a mistake in him every game.

nick gould

This dude is a passenger today. He steps forward to challenge for aerial balls and he loses out despite being 2 metres tall. He leaves a massive gap behind and has zero pace to recover. Back three allows the other two defenders to carry the ball foward comfortable with the knowledge that they are leaving 2 centre backs. You can tell that it’s not the case today. They know Per is just a passenger. Take him off.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
There is a really fantastic interview from him in the german newspaper about the pressure in football. (published in "Der Spiegel").

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...eber-druck_wuergen-bis-die-augen-traenen.html

There is part in Kicker in german. If you want, you can translate it. Haven't found an english version somewhere so far.

Ich weiß es noch, als wäre es heute. Ich dachte nur: Es ist vorbei, es ist vorbei. Endlich ist es vorbei.

I still remember it as if it was today. I just thought: It's over, it's over. Finally it is over.

After Germany loss against Italy in 2006.

Top Bottom