• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Per Mertesacker: The BFG

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Says a lot about the man if he was able to perform whilst ****ting his pants. Most people would've headed towards the loo.

Newchange

I have no sympathy for Per hes paid 80k a week and hasn't done anything in the last 2 years. The fact our CAPTAIN is stating he'd rather not play football again and sit in the stands is shameful in my eyes.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I have no sympathy for Per hes paid 80k a week and hasn't done anything in the last 2 years. The fact our CAPTAIN is stating he'd rather not play football again and sit in the stands is shameful in my eyes.

He won us an FA Cup with a Motm performance not so long ago?

I get being worried if he had to play again, but the whole point of the interview was to open a discussion. And despite having had all these problems he still put in the performances.

His opinion that he'd rather have that relief doesn't take away from the fact that, if called upon, he'd give his all like he has his entire career.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Because money is everything, right?

SpookyDukey

I thought I was the only one with this mindset. Our Captain and leader saying he doesn’t want to play another game (even though he has duration left on his contract for me is not acceptable). He’d prefer to sit in the stands and take his money! With our current situation and the dressing room in melt down it’s the time a leader should be leading the line (mentally at least)! He should have kept quiet and stayed professional imo. What sort of example is that to his peers, our captain and leader would rather never play again and sit in the stands and collect his big pay cheque while the rest of our troops are trying to bring some unity and cohesion to boost morale. I wouldn’t allow him to become staff now, his behaviour and timing is selfish and not something I’d like to encourage to others. Players going to the media with such concerns or thoughts mid season isn’t helpful.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s pretty clear Koscielny is the captain. Mertesacker is a player/coach with captaincy in name only

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

It's refreshing to hear a footballer talk about stuff like that. Most of the fans have known that he's been finished for a couple of years now but that FA cup final performance last season is something we'll never forget. Hope he has a great coaching career at Arsenal as he always seemed a genuinely likeable bloke.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I thought I was the only one with this mindset. Our Captain and leader saying he doesn’t want to play another game (even though he has duration left on his contract for me is not acceptable). He’d prefer to sit in the stands and take his money! With our current situation and the dressing room in melt down it’s the time a leader should be leading the line (mentally at least)! He should have kept quiet and stayed professional imo. What sort of example is that to his peers, our captain and leader would rather never play again and sit in the stands and collect his big pay cheque while the rest of our troops are trying to bring some unity and cohesion to boost morale. I wouldn’t allow him to become staff now, his behaviour and timing is selfish and not something I’d like to encourage to others. Players going to the media with such concerns or thoughts mid season isn’t helpful.
I think he's the kind of person who would have had clearance from Wenger and the PR boys before making this statement

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Hopefully Per plays against West Ham. Arsenal’s second last home game. Start him and Laurent for old times sake. He deserves a proper send off at the Emirates for his services to Arsenal F.C.

Jae

I can understand it to be honest. The toxic atmosphere surrounding our club over the past few years can't have helped either. Think he'll always give 100% when called upon.

Hamaan isn't really in any position to get on his high horse, fairly sure he's had his own demons over the years including a drink and gambling problem.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think Per is just being brutally honest and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I'm not keen on paying him to do nothing but that's also not necessarily the case. We're talking about a very experienced international world cup winner who has already been given a role... quite possibly his contribution behind the scenes is amazing and why despite being a bit part player has retained captaincy

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He won us an FA Cup with a Motm performance not so long ago?

I get being worried if he had to play again, but the whole point of the interview was to open a discussion. And despite having had all these problems he still put in the performances.

His opinion that he'd rather have that relief doesn't take away from the fact that, if called upon, he'd give his all like he has his entire career.
Top post

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness
Right so in light of his recent comments he'll be delivering a MOTM performance in the Europa League final right? :)

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I respect his honesty tbh I’m sure tons of players go through this. He is at the end of his playing career and has won a fair bit so him saying stuff like this isn’t as bad as some would have you believe.

Hopefully this starts a more open discussion which leads to understanding. I disagree with the notion that “he gets paid x million so he’s no longer human” - that mentality is poor.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don’t think people realise how big of a burden playing for a **** club with a fan base with high expectations can be.

As weird as it sounds and although they strive to eventually get into a club like Arsenal - it’s not their fault players like Per or previously Giroud/Walcott etc were given so much responsibility whether they were up for it or not.

Club is a shambles and it can really take its toll, unless you’re a really upbeat/quirky/narcissistic character.

Latest posts

Top Bottom