Per Mertesacker: The BFG

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

Disappointing from Per, along with Wenger he’s one of the last I’d expect to see making such a statement. Would’ve thought even if he found Özil’s statement unclear he could speak to him about it first, how long have they known each other.

2. Defendffs

Defendffs New Member

Is this the full quote: “I have never experienced racism or discrimination in the national team. Mesut's accusation therefore surprised me.”

If it is, is it possible that all Mertesacker is saying is that he did not expect there to be an accusation of racism in the German national team, and therefore, when one came (no matter who made it), it surprised him - i.e., not a comment at all on Özil's credibility or whether there is an existence of discrimination, simply that he did not expect such an accusation to surface?

If that is what he is saying, and it seems at least reasonable that it is, is there anything particularly off putting or insensitive in that comment?
    It may be that this falls squarely in the category of one's individual opinion, rather than there being an objectively correct answer.

Fallout and El Granit-Coq like this.
  3. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

This has been fuelled by Özil’s lack lustre performances, Germany’s terrible showing in the World Cup and the need for scapegoats. Throw into the mix Özil posing with a Turkish dictator and journos putting leading questions to players like, ‘Have you ever experienced racism in the German National team’ and you have a recipe for muddle soup.

Everything about Per Mertersaker in the past screams ‘respect’, so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh_Snap and Rain Dance like this.
  4. grange

grange Well-Known Member

Per for the course.

(I'll see myself out)

5. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

As Per usual ;)

grange and El Granit-Coq like this.
  6. FEH

FEH Well-Known Member

7. NieThePiet

NieThePiet Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

He sounded very disappointed today, that only three gunners joined him today at his game after 7 years at Arsenal.

Only Gibbs, Wenger and Lehmann. Looks like he invited Walcott, Rosicky and Cech too, but they refused short-term.

He said, that he probably needs to delete some numbers on his mobile phone..

8. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

Life teaches you who values you. It's a tough lesson and one of the most bitter pills to swallow.

I haven't read the post myself but it's quite sad that not many showed their support. Much respect to Wenger, Gibbs and Lehmann.

9. rich 1990

rich 1990 Loves the A-M Mods

In fairness, you wouldn't expect anything else from Wenger.

TromsoGooner and El Granit-Coq like this.
  10. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

Would've been nice for them to attend even if not allowed by their clubs to take part in the game.

11. Song Billong

Song Billong Well-Known Member

What happened?

12. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Please post a link or something.

13. NieThePiet

The farewell game was on DAZN on german. Not possible to post a link from this.

For example here on German an article:

https://www.goal.com/de/meldungen/p...-spieler-datum-und/179igczp67gd31pxr4mkc7ub1a

Bellerin, Koscielny and Cazorla mentioned in this article. Had another article about Walcott, Cech and Rosicky too.

Looks like he isn't happy too, that Klose and Ballack had no time too.

Only one active Gunner (Gibbs) he played with is a bit sad for seven years at this club. He was captain, has a big standing and is still connected with the club.

https://de.onefootball.com/mertesacker-von-weggefaehrten-enttaeuscht-das-tut-weh/

Try to translate this one. Sounds like they haven't cancelled it, but weren't there.

Mark Tobias likes this.
  14. NieThePiet

Merte was at the trainings ground from Werder today and there are specuations about a youth collaboration with Werder.

"Werder Bremen has a very good youth work and with Thomas Schaaf somebody, who implements new structures. I have talked with him a lot and considered, what we can develop, in terms of players" - Mertesacker said.

Perspectively there could be loan deals with talents.
    Merte with a smirk: "Let's see what will happen. First it was an exchange of ideas."

As a Werder and Arsenal Fan that would be just awesome. Maybe be the first option in the Bundesliga for loans from Arsenal - not Nelson to Hoffenheim or Smith Rowe to Leipzig, Saka on loan to Werder for example. Of course Werder doesn't need every talent from Arsenal on loan, but in the future there surely would be some.
    Some talents from Arsenal surely will not be good enough for Arsenal, but maybe for Werder and we would have a better chance to get and Arsenal would have something like a pre-emption right.