• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Per Mertesacker: The BFG

chessygoal

I doubt there was much of a mistake in the saga. Unless we gonna blame frontline and midfield for not putting pressure on the ball.
Other than that we were undone by perfect CF play, perfect pass.

I gotta say though i think teams that beats us emplot almost the same tactics for years now.
It's Arsenal 101 really, that's how we play, we commit every players forward, including our 2 FB at the same time ( most teams don't, Barca, Bayern and us...), Ferguson used to only bet on those moments to beat us and Costa obviously saw it too.
Mert is usually pretty good to deal with these situations despite his lack of pace, he failed this time.

General

Established Member
In risk management you assess a risk by evaluating the impact of the risk as well as the chance of it happening.

The chance of Mertesacker being caught out may be low but when it does happen it's usually disastrous.

We have the resources to bench him and eliminate this risk but we never do. When Wenger retires we're going to find out that the guy is a massive gambler, he's the only manager I've seen who consistently takes risks he doesn't have to.

You address a risk by investigating the root cause and despite Mertesacker's poor judgement he wasn't the root cause and neither was his CB partner. The rot starter further afield. Wenger makes the hardest job look easy and the easy jobs difficult. He must baffle a lot of managers by the way he consistently undermines his team with dross from Senderos to Denilson to Flamini Mk2.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I think as a CB your instinct is never to just let someone run through clean on goal. The weird look down the line and the clumsiness of the tackle was poor though.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Arsenal defender Koscielny: Mertesacker and I have good relationship on pitch and off
by Tribal Football Staff

Kos_mert_3418732b.jpg

Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny says his success with Per Mertesacker is due to their friendship.

The duo have established themselves at the heart of Arsène Wenger's defence over the past three seasons, helping Arsenal lift back-to-back FA Cups in 2014 and 2015.

“We have a good relationship on the pitch and off it, too," he told the Arsenal Weekly podcast. “He's a nice man, a good friend, so when there is a good relationship off the pitch, it can help us on it.

“My wife and his wife are friends. We can all talk together and we have been to restaurants before. We have a good relationship together off the pitch. He's a simple man like me, he likes to live here and it's important to have conversations with him over lunch or dinner.

“We talk a lot and we've learnt a lot together over the last few years. I know his qualities and he knows mine, so I know what he can and can't do on the pitch. That's important for centre backs.

“We know it's more about playing together than individually. Each player is very important at centre back and it's very important that they communicate for their positioning on the pitch. We can definitely help each other improve."

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He'll be back into the squad tonight. Even with his lack of pace he offers so much in terms of being the glue for our defensive unit. Gabriel-Koscielny as a pairing just isn't a solid for me. He's also an excellent "backs to the wall" defender and is needed on set-pieces too, probably both offensively and defensively.

In my opinion Kos-Per has been the best partnership in the PL since about 2013 for me, I'd say since that away in in Bayern.

nicky47

Established Member
It's a nice partnership no doubt! They compliment each other very well, although of late they have been struggling... Let's hope they can find their form again, with Coq back in front of them that should help, a lot.

It's a shame Mert isn't a little quicker, but it annoys me when people say "he's so slow". What do you expect from a chap of his height, and age? I just wish he was more aggressive in the air.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I thought BFG stood for Big ****ing German?

Aevi

Hale End FC
I thought BFG stood for Big ****ing German?
It does, but I thought I was rather clever thinking up another word set for it that works! Was kind of the point that there is the real meaning and the one presented.

raag

Been dropped today. Didn't see that coming and personally don't think he deserved it.

Aevi

Hale End FC
If we're ambitious, despite what he has done for us, we replace him this summer.

He gives us height and leadership, but his weaknesses are too glaring and unfixable for me. We need another more physical presence at CB to complement Koscielny. I'm thinking Koulibaly, Laporte, or Rugani. Wouldn't make Gabriel and Kosc partners because of how similar they are.

Mertesacker as new guys backup, Gabriel as understudy to Koscielny, and Chambers out on loan looking for game time or kept as Coq backup. This is a key step in moving forward.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

We are more steady with Per, but in a game like against Southampton, who play quick players like Mane and Long up front, I'm glad we had two pacey defenders.

All it takes is one lapse in concentration and Per won't be able to catch up as happened against Chelski.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom