• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Per Mertesacker: The BFG

haha_arsenal

but his game is so soft.
If he'd push-pull, fight and be a bit more aggressive when defending or trying to head a corner.

raag

Before the game all the talk was about how Vardy was gonna burn him for pace but how often did that happen? Mr. Consistent as usual. Forget rotating him with Gabriel, when fit he should start.

I got
Put down pre match because I said exactly this.

Maxim

Probably not the right place to post this but it was really quite impressive that we had one CB ruled out before the game and another injured at half time and still looked fairly comfortable defensively with their replacements (granted the red helped)

Can you imagine that happening in the vermaelen/gallas days.

General

Established Member
Before the game all the talk was about how Vardy was gonna burn him for pace but how often did that happen? Mr. Consistent as usual. Forget rotating him with Gabriel, when fit he should start.
That's because he had the right protection in midfield. Had Flamini played it would've been a disaster for us not just in midfield but also in defence. The issues in defence and midfield are closely linked but some choose to ignore this when they criticise Mertesacker. Coincidentally he also raised his game probably knowing that his place in the team was seriously under threat from Gabriel. We got caught in a one on one situation with Vardy once but Bellerin stayed strong and saw off the threat.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
That's because he had the right protection in midfield. Had Flamini played it would've been a disaster for us not just in midfield but also in defence. The issues in defence and midfield are closely linked but some choose to ignore this when they criticise Mertesacker. Coincidentally he also raised his game probably knowing that his place in the team was seriously under threat from Gabriel. We got caught in a one on one situation with Vardy once but Bellerin stayed strong and saw off the threat.
Irrespective of who played in midfield, the general consensus before the game was that Vardy would run Mertesacker ragged, hence the calls for Gabriel. People assume that pace means everything when faced with forwards who run the channels, when in fact it was Mertesacker's positioning, coupled with his understanding with Kos and calmness under pressure which contributed most to our solidarity. Particularly in the 1st half, less so in the 2nd.

I also don't think he raised his game. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary, this was the same solid but unspectacular Mertesacker we've been seeing all season.

Last edited:

General

Established Member
That's fine but my point is that the defensive and midfield problems are not mutually exclusive. A few people also correctly identified before the game that midfield was the root cause. In fact the reaction was generally positive when the team sheet was released before the Leicester game.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

He got done for pace against Diego Costa, so obviously him playing against Vardy, who is much quicker than Costa was a worry.

He handled him well, though.

The thing is that people were even more wary after Chelsea game, Mertesacker barely gets exposed but it's needed only one time for it to cause a lot of trouble. Against the Chavs Flamini was abysmal, however with Coq back in, i was not that worried with Per. He's still integral for me.

Highbury Rock City

Can you imagine that happening in the vermaelen/gallas days.
We all should be greatful, with that in mind.

I was amused yesterday, with Per's partnership with Chambers. They put in a good shift together. I can imagine that the calmness and routine of Per perhaps helped the lad (is he a lad?) to perfome the way he did.

Highbury Rock City

Albeit, Per had a brainfart against Chelsea, which still baffles me. I'd might suggest that he's not going to play, at least for Arsenal, for more than another season or so.

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

The guy's overall calming ability on games and solid consistency more than make up for a the few times he gets done for pace when isolated (something that shouldn't happen if everyone else does their job right) or the very occasional error like vs Chelsea, I feel.

Our defence has been much more solid ever since he joined the team (and still is far less composed when he's not playing), I really have very few complaints. He and Kos have a great partnership, and he can play with the others as well. He knows he slow ffs, he knows how to play to mitigate it and the team does too. He's played at the top level being slow for a long time, it's only rarely a problem. And every centre back is responsible for goals against now and then due to personal limitations or mistakes, it's not something unique to Per at all.

Jaywood Mac

The big issue people always have about his pace when he faces a Vardy etc is silly. Nearly ever striker in every game is faster than per. And nearly every striker is faster than the defenders they come up against. Terry, Puyol, Maldini etc they consistently week in week out faced strikers faster than them.

Top Bottom