• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PES 2009.

Mostarac

Established Member
According to the guys at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.winningelevenblog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.winningelevenblog.com</a> news about the newest edition are imminent. After two very disappoiting recent editions, its make or break for Konami and the developing team. Another thing which is very worrying is the rumour about Konami losing the offical licence for the Spanish league, if thats true then I for one will certainly not spend any money on it anymore, the few licences are almost as essential to the game as gameplay is and losing it would basically destroy any interest for me personally. Reverting back to FIFA is not an option for the PES fanboy like myself, FIFA have made some serious strides in recent years but its still FIFA, I just do not get that same feeling of realism when I play FIFA compared to earlier versions of PES. It speaks volumes when PES5 for example is still way better than the newest FIFA in gameplay.

DREVAK

Established Member
I don't mind losing licenses that much, to be perfectly honest. The various third party patches that bring not only the names but other content as well are rather awesome in this regard. Although one should look at the issue from a neutral, non-modded, point of view. And in that case it's just bad.

But as I said, for me – and as you have pointed out – it is the general gameplay I am worried about. In fact, I have gone back to number six because 2008 was just too bad. Crazy scorelines, awful goalkeepers, easy yet frustrating at the same time. The previous installment is nowhere near perfect, but at least it's better than the current one.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
I mind big time....You wont feel the realism between teams, players faces may not get included like the Germans for instance...Bring back little elements that mean a lot like choosing and mixing the kit, neckwamers, untucked shirts, quick free kicks

I wouldnt really buy into them not having the logo, theyre still working on the game, its early days. Seabass and his crew are a bit like Arsène, one moment they produce something brilliant but other times just f**k it up big time but one thing, they always leave us thinking whats their next move

This is Konamis last chance to bring back the goodness because FIFA is miles ahead now, very proud as im a FIFA boy from day, Euro 08 is a top draw game and ive seem some previwes already for FIFA09 and it looks sublime. Even some of the promotion people Konami had has now gone and backed FIFA. Last bit of string Pro

Mostarac

Established Member
FIFA is and has always been superior to PES when it comes to two things, graphics and licences. However, PES have always(exception is of course the two most recent editions) been superior to FIFA in what counts the most, namely gameplay. Thats what counts the most for me when it comes to football games, graphics are not that importnant to me actually. As long as the gameplay is great(PES5 anyone?) and the licences are in place, I am more than satisfied. I appreciate what FIFA are trying to do, but having played both FIFA 07 and 08 I was not able to enjoy it 100% and instead I fired up my PES5. For me, FIFA still looks a bit stiff and to be honest the gameplay is not close enough to the gameplay Konami presented us with in PES5 for example.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I just want the best footy game. Don't care whether it's Konami or EA, as long as it feels like the real thing I'll buy it. When PES was on song nothing came close. But lately I feel they've been abusing the die-hard nature of their fanbase, milking the "real football for real fans" malarky for all it's worth, while deliberately releasing an inferior product. Any vestige of loyalty I had towards those Jap spendthrifts evaporated a long time ago.

nidza7

Established Member
Don`t know Mos,pes6 is the best footy from Konami in my book.It has just right balance of gameplay and difficulty.I never bothered playing 2008 cause it was just bad.

Can`t say I`m thrilled about 2009 version, I really thought 2008 would be best ever but it just wasn`t.

And I really don`t care about licences and graphics as long gameplay is right.

Rocafella

Established Member
You're hardly a PES fanboy Mosta if you won't be buying the game because it doesn't have the Spanish league license. Sure, it's good to have them in there, if it bothers you that much, you can change the team names anyway. Pes6 on the PS2 was as close to perfection in a football game as you will see IMO. Pes2008 was absolutely disgraceful. They'd better get it right this season or they could be in trouble.

Mostarac

Established Member
nidza7 said:
Don`t know Mos,pes6 is the best footy from Konami in my book.It has just right balance of gameplay and difficulty.I never bothered playing 2008 cause it was just bad.
Can`t say I`m thrilled about 2009 version, I really thought 2008 would be best ever but it just wasn`t.

Did you play PES6 on a console or on your computer, mate? The PES6 version for the consoles was awful.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Totally agree. I went back to PES 6 after playing 2008 for a while. I couldn't really understand how/why it was so bad. I'm pretty sure that I will buy 2009 despite what people say but they have to try harder.

And does anyone know who the licensed English teams are this time? In the kit thread for next year there was a picture of us in the new kit from pro evo so hopefully we are back. As long as it's not two more teams from the bottom half of the table, I found it quite offensive that they only had Sp**s and Newcastle last year.

nidza7

Established Member
Mostarac said:
nidza7 said:

Did you play PES6 on a console or on your computer, mate? The PES6 version for the consoles was awful.

yeah,I just forgot that part,comp it is.gues it`s massive diff. then?

Mostarac

Established Member
Rocafella said:
That's your opinion. I think it was brilliant.

I do not know what you console you played it on, but in my humble opinion I thought it was awful on the XBOX 360. The controls and the way the players moved felt so stiff in a way. The animations were terrible and gameplay was very predictable.

nidza7 said:
yeah,I just forgot that part,comp it is.gues it`s massive diff. then?

I thought so, PES6 on XBOX 360 was terrible in my opinion.

Mostarac

Established Member
First pictures of PES 2009 revealed on WinningElevenBlog. The pictures do not reveal everything yet, but I noticed that the kit textures look very good and the stadiums look much better with better lightning aswell it seems.

Rocafella

Established Member
Sweet. Konami look like they've really took all of the criticism about 2008 on board and are doing their best to make a great game this time around. Going to be out in the autumn at it's usual release time, October normally.

Tegh

Established Member
Can't personally say I'm that fussed about the graphics, it's the gameplay that needs tweaking from the last version but they do look awesome. It'd be nice if there were a few more licenses aswell.

Goalkeepers are pathetic; Seems they have margerine spread all over their gloves since they can't catch anything, or they parry stupid weak shots from outside the box off for a corner/into the net/straight onto the feet of an opposing player. I find it funny also when you bring him out to close down a striker and rather than dive at the players feet he will just run alongside the striker, not make any attempt to make a challenge or a dive until after the striker has shot it past him even with manual goalkeeping on. It's barely impossible to miss from a 1v1.

Something that FIFA utilises (haven't played FIFA since '96 house mate rented it out because he kept losing to me at PES due to sh1t goalkeeping and general referee madness or stupid deflections) is the play-advantage feature. I thought PES had this in a previous version, maybe PES6 since that is my favourite - although why would they remove something like that, I might be mistaken.

Tackles will hopefully be sorted too, sometimes the computer makes a challenge randomly in the area with a player you aren't controlling nor telling to pressurise. As well as that, most sliding tackles are an automatic foul even if you do get the ball. :/

I love PES, I hope they improve on PES08 because that was a rather pitiful attempt at a game.

Mostarac

Established Member
Agree. The thing which disappoints me the most with the approach Konami have taken to next-gen is that their developement of a new next-gen engine was much later compared to the new engine EA designed for FIFA. I have also read that the team developing the PES series are much smaller compared to the number of devs who are in charge of FIFA for example.

Kilgallon

I've lost faith in Konami now, they've only gone backwards since PES 5.

I'm much more interested in what EA do with the new FIFA. FIFA '08, despite some niggly problems, is actually very good. Miles better than that PES2008 trash...

Smartly Dressed Morris

Kilgallon said:
I've lost faith in Konami now, they've only gone backwards since PES 5.

I'm much more interested in what EA do with the new FIFA. FIFA '08, despite some niggly problems, is actually very good. Miles better than that PES2008 trash...

Totally agree. I was the the worlds biggest pes fan and for years it was untouchable , sadly Konami became complacent beyond belief and EA raised their game.

Konami have it all to do to win back their fans now.

ps does anybody know the sales figures of pes 2008 compared to before ?

Top Bottom