• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech (Out)

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It's easier to look better she you are facing more shots. A top level keeper is not tested as much and rely on concentration. If Cech moved to a team below us he would be a stand out. His stats (and I don't like to many stats) were good this season. I feel he has more years left in him. If Roma sell their keeper I could see them making a move for him. Or a similar club.
I here you about GK's looking better with more saves but it's his physical decline along with the personal errors. He also looks nervous and shaky at times and has actually played us in to trouble or gifted possession from a goal kick. If he faced more shots,his stats would be worse imo as I don't think he's capable of intense shot stopping. I just don't think he has the all round package anymore and I suspect the brain injury plays a part in some of his decline.

moloso

Can't believe people still rate Cech, he's never been top bracket with us and he's pretty much cemented his place as one of the worst keepers in the league with his form over the last couple of year's.

This argument that he "will be better facing more shots" is probably even more ridiculous, I mean think about what you are actually arguing. his greatest strength should be concentration at his age yet he's even found wanting there.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Cech isn't an idiot. He knows we wont be spending 20 odd million on a keeper for him not to first choice. Its only a matter of when. Now he may or may not be up for the battle but he won't be staying to just mentor someone as people keep saying.

Who said just to mentor? You don't have to choose between fighting for a job and helping a younger player develop. Lichtsteiner didn't sign on just to mentor Bellerin, but he can be helpful in that capacity. The job is actually Petr Cech's until Leno or somebody else beats him out. Just because you pay money for somebody doesn't mean you hand them the job. Atletico Madrid made Jan Oblak the most expensive goalkeeper in La Liga history in 2014 and he still spent his first season backing up Miguel Angel Moya.

For Arsenal, there will be plenty of games for both between the league and cup competitions. But if Leno beats out Cech and the Czech finds himself on the bench regularly -- and still wants to continue his career after his Arsenal contract runs out next summer -- then he'll be free to move on. He can sign for Crystal Palace or Fulham or somebody. Or, since he'll be 37 (getting up there even for a goalkeeper), he may be ready to retire. Again, it's a completely different situation than when he left Chelsea for Arsenal. At age 33, he was still relatively young for a goalkeeper and still as good as anyone in the league (truth be known, he was probably still, at age 32 when Chelsea brought Courtois back from loan, as good or better than the Belgian, but Chelsea didn't want to risk losing the younger Courtois). Cech was still one of the top keepers in the league his first two seasons at Arsenal. He slipped some this past year, but a lot of that may have been the crappy defense playing in front of him. He may well rebound and have a fine season in 2018-19. So there are no guarantees for Leno. There will be competition for the job. And that's as it should be. This isn't fantasy football where you just write names into a lineup.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Can't believe people still rate Cech, he's never been top bracket with us and he's pretty much cemented his place as one of the worst keepers in the league with his form over the last couple of year's.

This argument that he "will be better facing more shots" is probably even more ridiculous, I mean think about what you are actually arguing. his greatest strength should be concentration at his age yet he's even found wanting there.

Alright, first of all, Petr Cech won the Premier League Golden Glove in his first season with Arsenal. He was rated as the 6th best goalkeeper in the entire world for the 2015-16 season. If that's not "top bracket," I don't know what is. He was nearly as good in 2016-17.

Here are the PL goalkeeper rankings for Cech's first season at Arsenal.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-30_at_12.19.12_PM.png

Here are Cech's 3 seasons at Arsenal. You can see that his 2nd season was actually very similar to his Golden Glove winning 1st season, even if Courtois nicked him to the award.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-30_at_12.52.13_PM.png

By the way, he was statistically about the 5th or 6th best goalkeeper in the Premier League this past year (I don't have the list in front of me) -- not the worst, as you claim. His stats were down for him, but they were still better than most of the keepers in the league. He made a few more errors than usual.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Alright, first of all, Petr Cech won the Premier League Golden Glove in his first season with Arsenal. He was rated as the 6th best goalkeeper in the entire world for the 2015-16 season. If that's not "top bracket," I don't know what is. He was nearly as good in 2016-17.

Here are the PL goalkeeper rankings for Cech's first season at Arsenal.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-30_at_12.19.12_PM.png

Here are Cech's 3 seasons at Arsenal. You can see that his 2nd season was actually very similar to his Golden Glove winning 1st season, even if Courtois nicked him to the award.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-30_at_12.52.13_PM.png

By the way, he was statistically about the 5th or 6th best goalkeeper in the Premier League this past year (I don't have the list in front of me) -- not the worst, as you claim. His stats were down for him, but they were still better than most of the keepers in the league. He made a few more errors than usual.
Some brilliant stats there. I'm not sure how people can't see there is a top keeper in there. He is. This season was a poor season for everyone. The worst in Arsenes time at the club. And naturally for a keeper who has insanely high standards and slip up will look bad. The penalty record and him going for 200 clean sheets just magnified everything.

But here is a reminder just how good Cech has been

moloso

Sorry, but you can't be serious?

Appreciate the effort going into the stats but the first lot are totally useless - especially if they rated Cech as the 5th or 6th best in the world and probably even more of a joke, 5th or 6th best in the prem this season.

The second lot aren't much better - save percentage, error percentage forget it - all you have to do is actually watch our goals conceded to see he's not good enough let alone full 90 minute games.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Some brilliant stats there. I'm not sure how people can't see there is a top keeper in there. He is. This season was a poor season for everyone. The worst in Arsenes time at the club. And naturally for a keeper who has insanely high standards and slip up will look bad. The penalty record and him going for 200 clean sheets just magnified everything.

But here is a reminder just how good Cech has been

One thing that might not be apparent at a glance on the list of the top goalkeepers of 2015-16 is that Courtois is not in the top 10. The same Courtois who was handed the job over Cech the season before and who edged him out for the Golden Glove in 2016-17. That was the season everything fell apart at Chelsea and they finished 10th with only 50 points. Courtois sucked because Chelsea sucked. But he rebounded and won that Golden Boot the following season. Cech could rebound and have an excellent season as well. It may be more difficult because he's 36 now, but with a better, more organized and less mistake prone defense in front of him, there's no reason he couldn't get back to his old form, or at least nearly so.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Sorry, but you can't be serious?

Appreciate the effort going into the stats but the first lot are totally useless - especially if they rated Cech as the 5th or 6th best in the world and probably even more of a joke, 5th or 6th best in the prem this season.

The second lot aren't much better - save percentage, error percentage forget it - all you have to do is actually watch our goals conceded to see he's not good enough let alone full 90 minute games.

So you just started watching Arsenal play in 2017-18? Because if you watched them before and didn't recognize how good Petr Cech was, then I don't even know what to say to you. Again, he won the frickin' Golden Glove. You don't win the Golden Glove if you suck. It's a big deal. He had 16 clean sheets on the season. You don't record 16 clean sheets in 34 games if you suck. Nobody else did it that season. The statistics are commensurate with Cech's performances. You really have nothing to dispute them except repeating how terrible he was.

Also, if you think goals conceded is solely a product of the quality of the goalkeeper, then you don't understand the game. But even if we accept your assertion, the fact is that Arsenal conceded just 36 goals over the entire Premier League season in 2015-16 (Cech conceded less than that since he missed four games). That's just one away from best in the league. So what team were you watching? It obviously wasn't Arsenal.

Stop trying to revise history. There's enough of that going on these days.

Brett

Cech is class. Yes he may not be who he was few years back.
But 36 for a goalkeeper is not retirement age. He still has a couple of seasons left in him.
I am not against signing Leno but hope whoever comes in proves that he deserves to be no 1. Please don't judge him on the basis of Mustafi xhaka and injured koscielny playing in front of him.
And as far as mistakes go, Leno has made more mistakes before turning 26 than what Cech did before turning 36.

moloso

@Slartibartfast

Firstly, forget 3 years ago, we are talking about a keeper for next season. Cech was obviously a top keeper earlier in his career.

I actually said he was never top bracket, not that he "sucked". He was reliable the first season, nowhere near his early Chelsea level. The stats you posted were nonsense - performance rating...

I said go back and look at the goals conceded to actually see how far he has slipped - not that all goals are the fault of the keeper.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
@Slartibartfast

Firstly, forget 3 years ago, we are talking about a keeper for next season. Cech was obviously a top keeper earlier in his career.

I actually said he was never top bracket, not that he "sucked". He was reliable the first season, nowhere near his early Chelsea level. The stats you posted were nonsense - performance rating...

I said go back and look at the goals conceded to actually see how far he has slipped - not that all goals are the fault of the keeper.

So now you're changing the subject? And contradicting yourself. If you want to forget three years ago, why do you keep arguing he wasn't that good three years ago? Forget the stats. Forget the performance rating. He won the frickin' Golden Glove. Even by the standard you set yourself -- goals conceded -- he was the best goalkeeper in the league that season. Far more than just "reliable." And that's the season we were talking about because you brought up his work in previous seasons. Also, you never said anything about comparing goals conceded between 2015-16 and 2017-18. You said to look at goals conceded rather than the statistics for the three seasons I posted. Once again, you're trying to move the goalpost. You weren't even speaking of this past season alone when you called him "one of the worst keepers in the league" because you said over the past couple of seasons. He was actually very good in 2016-17 as well.

Now, I suggest you let this drop before you further embarrass yourself.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
So now you're changing the subject? And contradicting yourself. If you want to forget three years ago, why do you keep arguing he wasn't that good three years ago? Forget the stats. Forget the performance rating. He won the frickin' Golden Glove. Even by the standard you set yourself -- goals conceded -- he was the best goalkeeper in the league that season. Far more than just "reliable." And that's the season we were talking about because you brought up his work in previous seasons. Also, you never said anything about comparing goals conceded between 2015-16 and 2017-18. You said to look at goals conceded rather than the statistics for the three seasons I posted. Once again, you're trying to move the goalpost. You weren't even speaking of this past season alone when you called him "one of the worst keepers in the league" because you said over the past couple of seasons. He was actually very good in 2016-17 as well.

Now, I suggest you let this drop before you further embarrass yourself.
I thoroughly enjoyed watching you own this thread.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Cech has been one of the worst keepers in the league since he joined us, I thought this was the consensus. Seems it isn't which I find quite strange. In retrospect I'd swap Cech for most PL keepers, not just now, back when he joined as well.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Cech has been one of the worst keepers in the league since he joined us, I thought this was the consensus. Seems it isn't which I find quite strange. In retrospect I'd swap Cech for most PL keepers, not just now, back when he joined as well.

From Sky Sports:

Petr Cech has won the Premier League Golden Glove after keeping 16 clean sheets in his first season at Arsenal.

The Czech Republic shot stopper won the award three times with Chelsea and, after his £10m switch to the Gunners last summer, has proved a key member of Arsène Wenger's side in 2015/16.

Cech was beaten just 31 times in 34 Premier League appearances this term...

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...r-cech-wins-premier-league-golden-glove-award

Bergkamp1988

Yes, we were reminded of this a few posts ago as well. Doesn't change anything, unless we want to rewrite history. I think all of us were Arsenal fans back then and we watched a lot of Arsenal, so we had an opinion at the time, regardless of the Golden Glove. Let's just agree to disagree.

Good lord man. So where the hell is your argument? "yes he has won golden glove, yes his statistics were great but he is a crap goalie nevertheless".

That's like saying the best scorer in the League is a crap striker. You're just disagreeing with hard facts. Flat earther.

Let's agree you disagree with science.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Good lord man. So where the hell is your argument? "yes he has won golden glove, yes his statistics were great but he is a crap goalie nevertheless".

That's like saying the best scorer in the League is a crap striker. You're just disagreeing with hard facts. Flat earther.

Let's agree you disagree with science.

That Mo Salah is such a crap player. Sure, he scored 32 goals in the league this year, but those of us who watched him know how terrible he was. :D

Top Bottom