• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Well, he is clearly not very good and doesn't seem to want to be doing any better. And he sits around and sticks around the club without any drive or motivation to play and build a career for himself.

I'd much rather bring back Ospina and get rid of this guy for good.
Ospina doesn't want to play second fiddle. No chance he comes back.. This is the problem with this position. Nobody good enough will want to play second fiddle and while we have a decent keeper in Leno it certainly isn't a priority. We have a measly 40M to spend allegedly and you'd like to blow 5-7M on bringing Ospina back while we need wingers, CBs, Midfielders and arguably a RB.... Sounds like transfer **** to me..

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I never held Emi in too high regard, but apparently he has been one of the best keepers in CS this season. Would take a chance with him, if it doesn't work out fine.
Tbh, I have no idea how he has done in the Championship but taking a look at the keepers in those clubs its hardly much competition.

That said if he is here as 3rd choice, its fine but going into a season with Leno and him would be ****.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Ospina doesn't want to play second fiddle. No chance he comes back.. This is the problem with this position. Nobody good enough will want to play second fiddle and while we have a decent keeper in Leno it certainly isn't a priority. We have a measly 40M to spend allegedly and you'd like to blow 5-7M on bringing Ospina back while we need wingers, CBs, Midfielders and arguably a RB.... Sounds like transfer **** to me..
We don't have to find a keeper that good but at least serviceable if Ospina doesn't come back. I really don't believe there is this budget because clearly its impossible to calculate with an up and down market. But going into the season with just Leno will be a disaster waiting to happen.

I think we could get a quality keeper or at least a veteran keeper for free or cheap for a year. Or even loan one.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think we could get a quality keeper or at least a veteran keeper for free or cheap for a year. Or even loan one.
Then we're in the same position next season, with no asset and a season's wages wasted.

You still haven't really suggested why you feel Martinez isn't good enough in terms of his ability. In my opinion there is no shame in knowing your level and perhaps Martinez knows his level. I've always thought he was a capable keeper who makes decent saves and maintains a reasonable level to his distribution. I honestly don't think e could do much better at this stage.

You mention the transfer figure is unbelievable. Possibly. But even if we have 200M to spend we shouldn't be pissing it away on a second keeper when we have one ready to step up.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Then we're in the same position next season, with no asset and a season's wages wasted.

You still haven't really suggested why you feel Martinez isn't good enough in terms of his ability. In my opinion there is no shame in knowing your level and perhaps Martinez knows his level. I've always thought he was a capable keeper who makes decent saves and maintains a reasonable level to his distribution. I honestly don't think e could do much better at this stage.

You mention the transfer figure is unbelievable. Possibly. But even if we have 200M to spend we shouldn't be pissing it away on a second keeper when we have one ready to step up.
How? We'd have proper competitive 2nd choice keeper. Pretty much every season without miss we struggle in whatever area we choose to ignore.

I really don't have to suggest and explain why Martinez isn't good enough? You don't see keepers with ability at the age of 25 with practically no top level achievements or experience.

Its fine if he is 3rd choice but I really wouldn't risk going to a season with Leno as the only top level GK.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I really don't have to suggest and explain why Martinez isn't good enough? You don't see keepers with ability at the age of 25 with practically no top level achievements or experience.
You don't get 2nd choice keepers with massive achievements unless they are finished..

How? We'd have proper competitive 2nd choice keeper. Pretty much every season without miss we struggle in whatever area we choose to ignore.
Yes, for a year and then we'd be in the exact same position... Making sure you get a good 2nd choice keeper doesn't miraculously transform the squad into title winners...

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Actually, yes you do. Saying he has no ambition is a load of crap. How do you know what he aspires to. Why not judge him based on his performances, which in my opinion, have been fairly solid whenever he has been called upon.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Martinez does not instill confidence, but I believe he is the sort of player who is fine with staying as second fiddle.

With priorities for other positions to buy, he's good enough, I only hope that he's not going to cost us a lot next season as our Cup keeper in CL ;)

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Martinez does not instill confidence, but I believe he is the sort of player who is fine with staying as second fiddle.

With priorities for other positions to buy, he's good enough, I only hope that he's not going to cost us a lot next season as our Cup keeper in CL ;)
Yes, this. We have other positions to worry about.. Why would we chase after a 2nd choice keeper when we desperately need other players who WILL play throughout the season.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
You don't get 2nd choice keepers with massive achievements unless they are finished..

Yes, for a year and then we'd be in the exact same position... Making sure you get a good 2nd choice keeper doesn't miraculously transform the squad into title winners...
You don't need massive achievements but at least achievements. A finished top level keeper is still safer than a 25yrs old rookie.

Well, if this guy is good we'll either keep him or move on to someone else? Happens all the time at all top clubs.

I never mentioned or even implied it'd "miraculously transform the squad into title winners"? Lay off the drugs.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Actually, yes you do. Saying he has no ambition is a load of crap. How do you know what he aspires to. Why not judge him based on his performances, which in my opinion, have been fairly solid whenever he has been called upon.
Well, I did put forward pretty easy to figure evidence.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Lay off the drugs.
So uncalled for... I was perfect;y amicable in this discussion. If you can't handle different opinions then don't visit forums...
A finished top level keeper is still safer than a 25yrs old rookie.

Well, if this guy is good we'll either keep him or move on to someone else? Happens all the time at all top clubs.

Unless they retire, like with Cech... And then we're in the same position.
Well, I did put forward pretty easy to figure evidence.
No, you did anything but that. You made a subjective statement based on how YOU feel his aspiration levels are. You didn't mention anything about his actual ability.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

fine as long as the tradition of playing the 2nd choice keeper in european games is ditched

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
So uncalled for... I was perfect;y amicable in this discussion. If you can't handle different opinions then don't visit forums...

Unless they retire, like with Cech... And then we're in the same position.

No, you did anything but that. You made a subjective statement based on how YOU feel his aspiration levels are. You didn't mention anything about his actual ability.
Its okay for you to put imaginary statements and implications in other people's opinions? Maybe you should learn to read and grow understanding then come back to forums.

Yeah, they retire and we get someone else? I don't see how you're finding a difficulty in a pretty regular occurrence.

That's not my "feeling". Its pretty apparent that a 25 year old pro footballer who spent his entire career in the reserves with few fleeting first team appearances and a few loans to nothing clubs with negligible impact most definitely doesn't have much ability as well as any aspirations to actually take his career seriously.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Its okay for you to put imaginary statements and implications in other people's opinions? .
Where did I do that?
Yeah, they retire and we get someone else? I don't see how you're finding a difficulty in a pretty regular occurrence.
I don;t see how you're finding it so difficult to understand the basics of football finance. If you have to keep replacing a position every season then you're doing it wrong! We are not United or City and can;t throw cash at a 2nd choice keeper position each season,. Not rocket science.

That's not my "feeling". Its pretty apparent that a 25 year old pro footballer who spent his entire career in the reserves with few fleeting first team appearances and a few loans to nothing clubs with negligible impact most definitely doesn't have much ability as well as any aspirations to actually take his career seriously.
Yes it is. You haven't made any clear statements that are not based on subjectivity. If you had said he is a crap shot stop or his distribution is poor you'd have a statement which either can or can't be backed by facts. You've assumed he has no ability because he has been at the same club for a while. No inside knowledge just pure guessing...

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Where did I do that?

I don;t see how you're finding it so difficult to understand the basics of football finance. If you have to keep replacing a position every season then you're doing it wrong! We are not United or City and can;t throw cash at a 2nd choice keeper position each season,. Not rocket science.

Yes it is. You haven't made any clear statements that are not based on subjectivity. If you had said he is a crap shot stop or his distribution is poor you'd have a statement which either can or can't be backed by facts. You've assumed he has no ability because he has been at the same club for a while. No inside knowledge just pure guessing...
You accused me of saying or implying that getting a 2nd keeper would miraculously make us title contenders?

Football finance? Getting a decent 2nd choice keeper doesn't take breaking the back. You could sign a free agent or even loan a player. Happens regularly.

You don't even need to go into a detailed analysis, Sherlock.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You accused me of saying or implying that getting a 2nd keeper would miraculously make us title contenders?

Football finance? Getting a decent 2nd choice keeper doesn't take breaking the back. You could sign a free agent or even loan a player. Happens regularly.

You don't even need to go into a detailed analysis, Sherlock.
I didn't accuse you of saying that. Can't you read. I simply stated it won't...

Clearly you have massive communication problems.

You can't put anything down that backs up your argument and you immediately resort to insults... Have fun with that. Bye now.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I didn't accuse you of saying that. Can't you read. I simply stated it won't...

Clearly you have massive communication problems.

You can't put anything down that backs up your argument and you immediately resort to insults... Have fun with that. Bye now.
Why did you state it, communication expert?

I've pretty much given you pretty basic evidence that doesn't require much effort. If you have trouble getting it through your head then that's your problem.

I didn't ask for you to respond to me and get into a debate.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Why did you state it, communication expert?
Because it is true.. because we have other priorities which WILL bolster our squad and possibly lead to a title winning squad. Finding a 2nd choice keeper isn't one of them.

I've pretty much given you pretty basic evidence that doesn't require much effort.

For the umpteenth time, you have not! You've derived an opinion from irrelevant facts. If you had said you don't trust him because of (insert an actual ability) then I'd have said fair enough but you have made bullcrap insinuations because he doesn't have medals at home.
What massive heights has Leno achieved? Yet you're impressed with him. And rightly so because you've watched him play and you're impressed. But here you're, seemingly, basing your entire opinion of Martinez on his transfer history.. Sure glad you don't make these decisions for the club because that sounds like some drugged up logic there.

Nowhere have I stated that Martinez is the best option but simply that is is illogical to focus on this position when we have glaring holes all over the squad.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I didn't ask for you to respond to me and get into a debate.
If you can't handle debate then post your bullsh!t opinions on facebook or twitter where nobody can respond. Clearly you have a serious problem holding a normal discussion without getting personal and defensive.. Otherwise you would welcome the debate..
ITS A FECKING FORUM!!! YOU'RE GOING TO GET RESPONSES, GENIUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom