Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Rex Banner, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

Cech was not the only one to fail. But calling that, a magnificent performance is also stupidity.
    What the hell does he deserve for talking about taking a position with Chelsea just before a cup final? The guy deserves absolutely nothing.

2. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

Didn't Chelsea release that info? I'm not sure Cech did anything wrong there.

I'm not bothered by him playing today. He got us to the final, and we would have lost today with Leno playing regardless.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Well-Known Member

Cech was good, made many good saves and also his kicking was on point and not sloppy. He was the best player for us. And I swear I knew it, Cech is a gentleman, he ain't some trash person who would let in goals on purpose. I know he conceded 4 but nothing was his fault, he did a lot of good saves.

100% would have lost with Leno or Martinez, or whoever else in goal. We were hardly creating anything.

Tir Na Nog and Tosker like this.
  4. RacingPhoton

Would they have released such info without speaking a single word with Cech? If you are playing against a club in a final, you don't go and negotiate with them for next job.
    Watch Cech's reaction time to the first goal. The guy is 37. There was a reason why Leno replaced him in PL. In the fourth goal too, why was he waving his hands upwards in the air when the ball was going to his left?

IrishKookaburra likes this.
  5. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

Well yeah, Leno is clearly better. But we'd still have lost today I think. Don't think Cech was the reason for this result.

As for the other stuff, who knows .

RacingPhoton likes this.
  6. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Consummate professional etc but the point was that Leno is a better player and should have started. Cech made some good saves but there wasn't one save that Leno couldn't make. However there were points were I wondered if a 'keeper quicker on their feet i.e. Leno gets into a better position to make a save for Giroud's and Pedro's goals.

No room for sentimentality in Finals, ultimately.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  7. Godwin1

Godwin1 Very well-known

Age is a horrible thing, his time at Arsenal won't be remembered too fondly.

8. RacingPhoton

That I accept. It was a **** show by the entire team. I didn't like the fact that Emery took a sentimental decision in such an important match.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  9. Artisan

Artisan Not Emery's Old Pal

Is he talking about Arsenal or Chelsea?

American_Gooner likes this.
  10. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

So long Cech. Can't really put too much blame on him for tonight but I'm glad this situation is over and done with. Hope it doesn't come up again with another player anytime soon.

Will be remembered for one or two decent seasons here but not much beyond that.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  11. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

We've won three FA Cups with true Arsenal GK's and lost with him. It's not all his fault but the decision to play him shows Emery has some failings of mentality that a manager can't afford.

Ashybashy86 and RacingPhoton like this.
  12. Aevi

Aevi Hands down best mod -Trilly (probably) Moderator

Good riddance. He's a good guy but these comments rub me the wrong way.

lamby22, krengon, salvat and 2 others like this.
  13. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

:lol: yeah those comments are arsey, you win and lose as a team.

Glad he’s gone tbh, not sure how on Earth he started today.

14. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member

Despite it being obvious that we would've lost either way, not starting Leno was moronic.

Good riddance.

15. FinnGooner

FinnGooner Well-Known Member

I didn't say his performance was magnificent, I said he's had a magnificent career. A career that imo deserved a better ending. If not the win, he certainly deserved better effort form his team mates. And actually, his performance wasn't bad either. The only player on the Arsenal team who can say that.

16. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

Spent all week addressing mentality then says he’s proud to have let in four goals.

17. RacingPhoton

His career was good. But didn't deserve a better ending. He was thrown out of Chelsea because they didn't see him good enough anymore. We took him and made him our main keeper. He joined our team only because he wanted to stay in London for family reasons. We don't need such players. We badly needed players who love the badge.
    And his performance yesterday was as bad as the rest of the squad. Watch the replays of the first and last goals yesterday.

18. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

This is a man who deserves to be treated in a dignified manner and shown respect.

Yes, he may not have been the best with us, and beyond his peak years, but as a person, as a character, he showed complete respect to the club and its supporters.

Its the same ****ing **** that Eboue was subjected to while with us.

While Cech will not go down as a legend, but rather a worthy player to wear the shirt. He represents the type of character I want to see at Arsenal football club, in addition to playing ability.

Go well Petr, thank you for everything.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  19. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Thought he had a rubbish game but i agree with the above. Model pro who deserves respect.

Good luck, Petr. An absolute gentleman of the game you have always remained.

20. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

After achieving for years!!!

What a harsh post. Cech easily makes the top 5 list for keepers in the Premier League era.. No shame in getting older

FinnGooner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.