• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Philippe Coutinho

Do you want Coutinho to join Arsenal On Loan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt Gold

display

...Arsenal signing the 5th most disappointing player in the whole Bundesliga, as their marquee player in the summer :drool:
Clearly the expectations surrounding him were sky high considering he was a 135m signing at one point. But the one thing he has always done is produce goals and assists from midfield. He might not be my first choice at the position but he would be a hell of a signing and would be in the team every week.

He was MOTM is 4 of his 15 starts for Bayern. 8 goals 6 assists in 1400 mins on the pitch. Those are great returns.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm not terribly against Coutinho coming in - I think we can build long term while having an eye on the short term and Coutinho would immediately address the lack of presence we have in and around the attacking midfield position (or zone 14, as the stats nerds are calling it these days). He'd also bring a higher shot volume, something we've definitely struggled with since Emery became manager. We won't be that much more creative IMO as Coutinho isn't really a playmaker in the traditional sense, he's more of a goal threat. Trequarista would probably be the term :lol:. He does address needs though.

As much as some would like us to sign younger players, we are pretty stocked in the young player department with the likes of ESR, Willock, Nelson, Saka etc all capable of playing in those attacking positions and more coming through behind them. Signing players who are capable of addressing needs straight away where we can is a good approach if we have faith in the young talents we already have.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I'm not terribly against Coutinho coming in - I think we can build long term while having an eye on the short term and Coutinho would immediately address the lack of presence we have in and around the attacking midfield position (or zone 14, as the stats nerds are calling it these days). He'd also bring a higher shot volume, something we've definitely struggled with since Emery became manager. We won't be that much more creative IMO as Coutinho isn't really a playmaker in the traditional sense, he's more of a goal threat. Trequarista would probably be the term :lol:. He does address needs though.

As much as some would like us to sign younger players, we are pretty stocked in the young player department with the likes of ESR, Willock, Nelson, Saka etc all capable of playing in those attacking positions and more coming through behind them. Signing players who are capable of addressing needs straight away where we can is a good approach if we have faith in the young talents we already have.

Yeah. Coutinho as a loan signing gives us the potential for a completely different tactical profile in the zones in which he operates, but his wages and likely fee mean a permanent transfer is unwise.

I think people probably underrate the importance of having a goal threat from distance. Apart from Laca vs Sp**s, and a couple of Pepe efforts, who else is scoring from range, or even offering that threat?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Where's his best position anyway? Number 10 in a 4-2-3-1, or LW in a 4-3-3? I remember Barca wanting him to replace Iniesta in midfield but that was never really his schtick.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He has 3 years left on his contract at Barca and he just turned 28, so what do you do. Just loan him for a season or two and send him back, would Barca agree to that. They'd want a fee for him at some point surely and you don't wanna pay a big fee for a player at that age.

And then there's the Özil thing, like surely he'd have to be off the books before any of this could happen.

I get the logic, cos of Kia, but the logistics are just so messy.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
---Pepe - Coutinho - Auba
--------------CF

Like that, or he'd be where Auba is, so Auba goes to CF?

The latter. From what I have seen anyway. Though he showed decent form in a midfield 3 with Gerrard and Hendo back then when they slipped. Was in a 4312.

He was poor for Barca as LW given he's slow, doesn't make runs behind and wants the ball at his feet. But could work as a LCM like the above scenario and in a 433 - if he doesn't go full on Shootinho mode that is. Think Barca didn't use him there because he's not the type to build up slowly, wants to make things happen as soon as he's on the ball. So essentially LCAM/LCM are his best positions.

I'd take him, but yeah, seems all a bit too messy. And given that he's a known entity, I'd rather build from the scratch, a bit more exciting that way.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The latter. From what I have seen anyway. Though he showed decent form in a midfield 3 with Gerrard and Hendo back then when they slipped. Was in a 4312.

He was poor for Barca as LW given he's slow, doesn't make runs behind and wants the ball at his feet. But could work as a LCM like the above scenario and in a 433 - if he doesn't go full on Shootinho mode that is. Think Barca didn't use him there because he's not the type to build up slowly, wants to make things happen as soon as he's on the ball. So essentially LCAM/LCM are his best positions.

I'd take him, but yeah, seems all a bit too messy. And given that he's a known entity, I'd rather build from the scratch, a bit more exciting that way.
I think Klopp also used him in LCM in a midfield three but he was free to get forward and link up with Mane. He was averaging a goal contribution every game in that system.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
If we can get rid of Özil then no problem. We'd have a goal scoring midfielder. He would have to lower whatever wage demands he has though.

senna

Signing coutinho would set this club back, another Özil type luxury that we dont need on our hands.

Coutinho does not work in a midfield 3 - he simply doesnt do enough defensively and he doesnt have the stamina & physique. When he played for liverpool in midfield behind the front 3, they'd score lots but let in even more. They only became this current pressing machine when he left. Other than a couple of long range shots not sure how effective his offensive output is if barca & bayern two clubs who dominate the ball want rid. Is he really going to be the guy who opens packed defenses for us in the more hectic PL? I dont think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom