Philippe Mexès

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by 4evaagooner, Dec 18, 2003.

1. HollandGooner

HollandGooner Well-Known Member

Re: Phillippe Mexes

Great defender, I would love him as a January signing, a typical player with aggression we missed that since Vermaelens injury

2. qs

qs New Member Elite

No PL experience, no thanks.

3. USArsenal

USArsenal H.Y.I.C. Administrator

so French and Italian experience dont count?

i'd rather see him than most of the other names mentioned..

4. Shue

Shue New Member Elite

French and Italian experience don't count when we're after an instant fix, not another player who needs time to settle like Koscielny.

5. HollandGooner

HollandGooner Well-Known Member

I am sure he doenst need time. he is a great defender alot better then Squiq and Koscielny

6. USArsenal

comparing Mexes to Koscielny.. lol

<shakes head>

7. Re: Phillippe Mexes

Even Samba would take some time to adjust from defending deep at Blackburn to holding a high-line and dealing with balls played behind him at Arsenal. Every defender would need some time to adjust, so, I wouldn't count out a quality player like Mexes just because he has no PL experience.

8. Shue

Shue New Member Elite

I was talking about their need for time to settle in, not their respective qualities. Koscielny will end up a good signing anyway.

9. USArsenal

but Mexes wont need as much time to "settle in" as Koscielny will. he's just a better overall defender. as ILYAW said, any CB will need a settling in period if for no other reasn than to figure out the defensive scheme we employ. However, Mexes (IMO) would catch on quicker than the rest of them would

10. jmsmtthw28

jmsmtthw28 Well-Known Member Trusted

still think Mexes is the best choice we have right now
    would take him over samba, upson, dunne

11. Clrnc

Clrnc Well-Known Member Trusted

Don't even think Mexes is better than Kos US. Mexes is such a dodgy defender.

12. qs

qs New Member Elite

You love everyone in serie A though :lol:

And no they don't count. We need someone who wont take the rest of the season to adapt.

13. qs

qs New Member Elite

The high line argument doesn't wash with me.

Samba for instance is premiership ready. He understands the pace and physicality of this league. Those are the 2 biggest challenges for any defender coming here and those who adapt to that quickly are very rare.

Signing a player with Prem experience minimizes the chance of that problem. Of course if a player was good enough you'd overlook that but I don't think Mexes is that good.

14. USArsenal

you obviously havent really watched Mexes the last 4 or 5 seasons in Serie A (leaving aside the thrashing they got from ManU for a second). he has been pretty solid for them and isnt as big a discipline case as many make him out to be

QS - actually, i dont.. in fact, i dont like many players in Serie A.. (i watch it, but thats because my wife watches it.. if it were up to me, i'd rather watch the Bundesliga or something).. i dont rate all Serie A defenders, especially (besides the obvious like Nesta, Chiellini, etc)

i also disagree that we just need someone who has "Prem experience".. having Prem experience with a completely different kind of team or setup is not as helpful as people are making it out to be.. they may know the pace, but they dont know the style of our play or the timing of everything..

all of this is IMO.. obviously, your opinions differ.. :wink:

none of it matters, we won't be signing him

15. Humble Rex

Humble Rex New Member

I think Wenger will make yet another crazy gamble. He will gamble on TV being back in 6 weeks, and that both JD and Kos will stay fit until Seb is back. That is what I think anyway.

Oh, and IF we were signing someone, I´d be really happy with Tulio Tanaka. From Wenger´s old club, and a Japanese player can´t be THAT expensive...

16. jmsmtthw28

who?

17. Shue

Shue New Member Elite

You haven't heard of Tulio?

18. jmsmtthw28

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzTySG8aew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzTySG8aew</a>
    wow I like him
    shame we have already played both our game with Chelsea this season

19. KY

KY New Member

I've heard of Julio...
    He works in the studio,
    but he ain't no good, yo...

20. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Tanaka is already injuried LoL