• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Philippe Mexès

seanconvey66

When Senderos signed Wenger labelled him Sol's long term defensive partner, so doubt we will go for a young defender

JazzG

Established Member
Senderos is having lots of problems with injuries so Wenger might bring someone in. Also with Mexes we might need to give a year to adapt, like many of our french players who needed around that long to adapt to this league.

I've seen Mexes a few times for Auxerre and he has never stood out tbh, I always went along with the hype before but I guess I'm not in the best position to say he isn't all that either!

seanconvey66

But if hes got a young defender who he sees as the future why would he buy someone whos what 22/23? If he did buy someone itll be with more experience, anyway if senderos does turn out great we'll have, Campbell, Toure, Cygan, and Garry (whos just back from injury) with him. (keown to retire that is)

JazzG

Established Member
Campbell ain't gonna last forever either though. He is 29 and has maybe 3 good years in him. People say defenders usually play on longer, yes they do but notice they are usually the ones who are really good readers of the game. Sol relies more on his pace and power imo.

seanconvey66

Hes 29 not 32 hes got abt five years in him, but we dont need a replacement for him for another couple of years, or until injuries catch up with him as with Adams (which shows no real sign of happening)

alwaysagooner

I have read on a few reports during the summer that mexes wants to come to arsenal so we are going to be his first choice the only way we will not get him is if wenger does not want him or man u come in with a massively high bid that wenger does not beleive is right for the player.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
you would think that if he's trying to be a regular on the French national squad, Arsenal would be his target anyway since we have so many of the French first-teamers.... heh

Mark

Established Member
If we wanted him we shouldnt've messed around, we apparently could've signed him last summer and we didn't, he wanted to come here, but now I can't see it happening. Then again if Wenger didn't go for him then, perhaps we don't want him. Metzelder would be better, maybe Wenger is secretly going to get him.

lewdikris

Established Member
What's the point - Senderos will be 19 this summer, Mexes 21 - why have 2 brilliant young defenders, plus Kolo, when there's no way of really playing all of them at once?

Mexes was an option, but Senderos was bought ahead of him.

I know we haven't seen Senderos this season, but trust in him - Wenger does.

Mark

Established Member
Once Senderos recovers from injuries he could be one of the best defenders in Europe. They weren't calling him the new Tony Adams for nothing. The situation with him is sadly similar to Aliadiere and a lot of our other youngsters, they are very talented but aren't quite fit enough and they get stupid injuries which hinder their progress. It's really annoying.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I think Wenger's interest in Mexes has cooled considerably. The defence is doing well this season and Wenger's probably fairly happy with Campbell, Toure, Cygan, and Senderos replacing Keown.

Gunnsie

Wasn't Cygan meant to be the new Tony Adams? Mexes has played week in week out in the french league and has attracted massive attention.

I would really like to see Mexe wearing the red and white

Henry14

What's the point - Senderos will be 19 this summer, Mexes 21 - why have 2 brilliant young defenders, plus Kolo, when there's no way of really playing all of them at once?

You know we usually play 4 defenders at once, right? Kolo is probably better suited for playing on the right:

Toure - Mexes - Campbell - Cole

With Clichy and Senderos providing cover...

Absinthe

If we buy Mexes, i dont think we will use him as a defender... but rather as a defensive midfielder, to partner Vieira.

Mark

Established Member
Absinthe said:
If we buy Mexes, i dont think we will use him as a defender... but rather as a defensive midfielder, to partner Vieira.

Mexes is a CB and always has been. Toure would probably adapat to the defensive midfield role since he's so good in all different positions, but best to stick to players playing where they're best at. If we got Mexes he would only be a CB, Toure perhaps becoming our RB.

Jinn

Established Member
Gunnsie said:
Wasn't Cygan meant to be the new Tony Adams? Mexes has played week in week out in the french league and has attracted massive attention.

Cygan was actually French player of the year! The French league is no great predictor of how a player will perform in the Premiership.

Soler

Established Member
Henry14 said:
With Clichy and Senderos providing cover...

The thing with Clichy is that sooner rather than later he is going to be too good for just "cover". :(

Mark

Established Member
Jinn said:
Gunnsie said:

Cygan was actually French player of the year! The French league is no great predictor of how a player will perform in the Premiership.

I'd rather we didn't buy from the French League to be honest, it takes so long for them to adapt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom