• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Philippe Mexès

Mark

Established Member
I agree of course that a lot of the players we got from France have turned out great, but it took time and in Cygan's case it just took too much time, we really need players who are good now. I just think Metzelder, Ferrari or Paolo Cannavaro would be better because they are playing at the highest level in better leagues.

Stim

I saw Senderos pre-season, he's not bad at all, big lad, with pace, has the quality to be a great CB.

Mexes was one player i wanted before, but with Kolo now stepped up a level, i would much rather have Kolo. The mancs can have Mexes, or Chelsea can buy him to warm the bench, who cares really.

AFCG7

Established Member
I think we can cope with Cygan as cover and Senderos coming though, along with Garry.
Buying Mexes would be like a second insurance policy.. cant see it happening unless : he comes for a very low fee ..
or someone gets seriously injured

Soler

Established Member
loyan_said said:
But a lot tun out to be great though. TH14 RP7 PV4 etc.

I wouldn't include PV4 in that. He came to us from AC Milan in Italy when he was only 19, and Cannes I can imagine are not a big team in France. Same for Henry, really. He went to Juventus in Italy when he was really young. Only Pires spent considerable time in the Ligue 1.

Aussie

Established Member
Mad Jens said:
Henry14 said:
With Clichy and Senderos providing cover...

The thing with Clichy is that sooner rather than later he is going to be too good for just "cover". :(

I know what you mean next year he would probably be ready to start week in week out at most premiership clubs. I cant see him taking over Ash's postion for a few years yet as he is still quite young. However we have one position filled for the next 15 years.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
If he wants to come to the Gunners, thats fine by me. Aslong as he doesnt want too much moeny, or doesnt get frustrated from sitting the bench when Campbell and another centre back are in sensational form. I've heard alot of hype about Mexes, but we dont get hardly any highlights from anywhere besides England, Spain, Holland and Italy here which is a shame.

In the end, if Wenger thinks he'll add to the squad, then i think he'll add to the squad.

Adam

Established Member
Did blogger blag that one aswell?

With Toure, Senderos and Cygan - this might be hard to believe. Unless, Arsène is thinking of moving Toure to RB... but he is just too majestic there. We would be taking something bigger away from our defence by moving him and adding Mexes.

Mark

Established Member
I honestly think if Mexes came here, he would be behind Toure in the pecking order. Perhaps he would play more games in Europe as he would be more suited to that than the Premiership style. Or we will just rotate them around occasionally, which is a good idea.

lewdikris

Established Member
Of course he'd be behing Kolo - people think Mexes has got this amazing rep, but he ain't in the France squad, he's had a rubbish season, and he's only 20. He may well be very good, but he ain't Nesta.

Adam

Established Member
Ok - here is my eccentric post of the day.... with Vieira at 28, and Kolo 22... if we are not going to move for Yaya.... then Kolo can easily do the opposite of a Desailly in 4 years with his physical assets and move into CM.

I definitely think the signing of Mexes would accomodate any squad need for Toure to cover in midfield. I mean, who would rule him out in playing CM, or heck - even RM, RB, LB, LM, and CF!?

Toure could plug the Parlour RM/CM gap when needed too for squad reasons and tactical reasons.... and could you see anyone else doing it better?

I'll get ma coat. It would be fun to see it happen. Maybe it's just my summer madness settling in!

arseblogger

Re: The arseblogger's gossip

lewdikris said:
Fact or fiction? You decide:

http://www.arseblog.com

Perhaps everyone should remember the fine malicious rumour last summer about a Kluivert/Freddie swap....

I'll hold my hands up to that one and say it was an attempt to see if we could feed the story into the newspapers.

The Mexes story comes from a normally reliable source (the same one who told me about Reyes 72 hours before it happened).

He's convinced the Mexes story is kosher and comes from good information.

lewdikris

Established Member
Interesting - cheers mate. I was disappointed that the Kluivert/Freddie one didn't make it into the dailies.

Didn't you try a Kluivert one the year before as well?

Arsene

I'm sure if Mania runs it (linked to arseblog) naturally, and we get it right up there on newsnow, the papers will be snapping it up quickly.

See how it goes anyway.

Adam

Established Member
You'd have to email it around too. If you do it right - you have a chance.

Make Arsène aware of players we think will be good.... and scare Chelski into buying them!

reggiepaul

07/06/2004 Philippe Mexes CD Auxerre AS Roma £?
Mexes' agent, Olivier Jouanneaux: "Roma have offered Philippe an interesting sporting proposition.
"There is a four-year deal on the table and we're now just waiting for Roma to reach an agreement with Auxerre."
He added: "Philippe wants to play under a coach with a strong personality who will help him become a regular in the French national team."

http://www.footballtransfers.info/specu ... =Confirmed

lewdikris

Established Member
That quote - far as I remember - came from before Capello buggered off to Juve. If I was him i'd probly choose Roma - with Samuel going to Real he'd go straight into the first team, but saying that with Roma's financial problems, and Totti blatantly off to Madrid as well after Euro 2004, he'd be advised to come to us, even if it meant not being a regular first teamer for a few years.

His arrival would, i'm pretty sure, see the end of Cygan.

Top Bottom