• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Philippe Mexès

qs

Established Member
You wouldn't prefer a 29 year old? I know I would. I think we should be looking for someone at least 27 TBH. Two 24 year olds is just green for my liking. I'd like one of them to be more experienced, unless Gallas stays for another year then I'd be happy to get someone that age.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
But experience is not everything. I don't care about the age, I want quality and I think Cahill is better than Mexes. Mexes is always a shaky defender who can't play it tough when it matters

GoonerAG

I've also read that Roma want Eboue as part of any potential deal for Mexes. Not entirely sure what they'd achieve from that one... :roll:

qs

Established Member
Clrnc said:
But experience is not everything. I don't care about the age, I want quality and I think Cahill is better than Mexes. Mexes is always a shaky defender who can't play it tough when it matters

And Cahill is an bog ordinary English defender who was part of one of the worst defences in the league this season. Can't for the life of me see why people are excited to be linked with him. He's like a poor(er) mans Michael Dawson.

ricky1985

Established Member
qs said:
Clrnc said:

And Cahill is an bog ordinary English defender who was part of one of the worst defences in the league this season. Can't for the life of me see why people are excited to be linked with him. He's like a poor(er) mans Michael Dawson.
He's nothing like Michael Dawson though. He's not a typical English defender by any means. He takes chances on the ball, can pass and control a football. A lot of his game is based around reading the game, positioning himself correctly, and timing his tackles. He's not some aggressive brute, who tries to just manhandle opponents. A good comparison for Cahill is Vermaelen, they both approach defending in a very similar way, and for me, that is something that gives more credence to the stories linking him with us. If he was just some dumb English defender we wouldn't have been persistently linked with him for the last 2 years.

Also, don't forget Vermaelen was a part of a defence that conceded 41 goals in the Dutch League last season. In fact how would Vermaelen fare partnering Zat Knight, or having Matt Taylor or Paul Robinson flanking him him? Not well would be my guess, especially not when judging his performance as part of a working unit like you are. Individually Cahill has been consistently excellent (their player of the year for last season I believe), and if you look at the mix of abilities he's got, it's little wonder a lot of clubs bigger than Bolton are all over him like a rash.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Clrnc said:
how much have you actually SEEN of Mexes? I have been regularly watching Serie A for the past 3-4 seasons, and I can't believe for the life of me that you think Cahill is miles better than Mexes or that he is a "shaky" defender..

and you say "look at the way he played against us".. erm, we only won 1-0 on a penalty by RvP.. yes, Mexes conceded the penalty, but all defenders concede a penalty from time to time.. and the ManUre game? yeah, the whole Roma team played poorly (even though they actually out-shot Utd 20-16)..

we got spanked by ManU, Chelsea and Barca, are you going to tell me that TV is a poor defender because of those results? right

for the right price, I would happily take Mexes, but i wouldnt break the bank for him..

outlaw_member

Established Member
qs said:
Clrnc said:

People would take Cahill in a heartbeat but not a proven International defender like Mexes. :eek:

ricky1985

Established Member
USArsenal said:
and the ManUre game? yeah, the whole Roma team played poorly (even though they actually out-shot Utd 20-16)..
Surely you can't be talking about the same 7-1 game Clrnc is talking about?

(I agree with you by the way that Mexes is a very good player)

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
qs said:
Clrnc said:

People would take Cahill in a heartbeat but not a proven International defender like Mexes. :eek:
I think some people would just like to see an English guy brought in, who knows the League, will slot straight in, and is also lest we forget, a very good player.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
yup, that one Ricky...

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=215089&cc=5901&league=UEFA.CHAMPIONS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id= ... .CHAMPIONS</a>

seems like everything ManU shot in that game went in.. also sound like Doni (who some want here) had a 'mare that night

outlaw_member

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
I think some people would just like to see an English guy brought in, who knows the League, will slot straight in, and is also lest we forget, a very good player.

I've got nothing against talented young players but I really don't think that we should acquire any player for the first team if he is of that profile. Cahill might turn out to be a very good signing, likewise with Hart but I don't trust either to immediately make us more competitive both in Europe and against our English rivals. We've got more than enough talented but inconsistent young players, but what we need now is some reliability especially in the relatively precarious positions such as the GK and CB.

Timleaf

Established Member
Mexes cant defend. He's quite athletic and good on the ball, but isn't a natural defender. Not my cup of tea.

viper_001

Established Member
Mexes is too error prone for my liking. I've watched quite a few Roma games, and with the way he plays he can go from world class one game to no class the next. Consistency is what we need to fix our defense.

AFCG7

Established Member
I'm not too sure about Mexes, he is a bit of a loose cannon sometimes. He will get plenty of cards in the Premier league.

MAK 14

Established Member
I've always felt that Mexes is overrated. He's a good player, but I think there are better players available that we could go for. He's far too error-prone for my liking and he hasn't been first choice at Roma this past season.

ricky1985

Established Member
USArsenal said:
yup, that one Ricky...

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=215089&cc=5901&league=UEFA.CHAMPIONS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id= ... .CHAMPIONS</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seems like everything ManU shot in that game went in.. also sound like Doni (who some want here) had a 'mare that night
I'm astonished by those stats. You learn something new everyday I suppose.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
USArsenal said:
Clrnc said:
how much have you actually SEEN of Mexes? I have been regularly watching Serie A for the past 3-4 seasons, and I can't believe for the life of me that you think Cahill is miles better than Mexes or that he is a "shaky" defender..

and you say "look at the way he played against us".. erm, we only won 1-0 on a penalty by RvP.. yes, Mexes conceded the penalty, but all defenders concede a penalty from time to time.. and the ManUre game? yeah, the whole Roma team played poorly (even though they actually out-shot Utd 20-16)..

we got spanked by ManU, Chelsea and Barca, are you going to tell me that TV is a poor defender because of those results? right

for the right price, I would happily take Mexes, but i wouldnt break the bank for him..
I don't know, whenever I have seen him, he played badly. Whenever he played for France, he was as bad as he could, making mistakes all over and was defending really poorly. I think positioning wise he is miles away from Cahill. He is part of a underachieving Roma side too, and I'd rather take his partner Juan, who is way better.

I used the rate Mexes along with Cisse when they were both flourishing for Auxerre in the past as 2 of the brightest french talents, but both of their career went downhill. I am just quite impressed by Cahill this season. He is by no means a poor man's Dawson, he actually reads the game well and passes out of his area quite brilliantly. He has quite alot of experience of tough football in the premierleague, so it would be no problem adapting for us while Mexes on the other hand, would really struggle with the physicallity.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Arsenal fight Juventus and AC Milan in hunt for £10m Roma defender Philippe Mexes

Arsenal face competition from Juventus in their pursuit of Roma centre half Philippe Mexes.

Arsène Wenger is reportedly considering a swoop for the France international as part of a search for two new central defenders this summer.

After falling out of favour with boss Claudio Ranieri and starting just 17 Serie A matches this season, Roma are prepared to sacrifice the 28-year-old - who was once on Manchester United's radar.

But AC Milan are also thought to be interested and now Juventus have been linked with a swap deal that would see Brazil-born Italy striker Amauri moving in the opposite direction to the Italian capital.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1279663/Arsenal-fight-Juventus-AC-Milan-hunt-10m-Roma-defender-Philippe-Mexes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Mexes.html</a>

Top Bottom