• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Game Pick a player

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
Haaland, not even close.

Saliba or Sol

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
Xabi Alonso or Sergio Busquets?
Busquets more versatile I actually think more incisive passer with more range. Plus he is great set pieces. Best DM of all time by quite a bit.

Cannavaro or Puyol

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
How many strikers out there do you prefer to 2002 Trezeguet?

I'll sum up the future of this conversation:

I mention a handful of strikers.

You post a mix of laughing emojis, some harsh language and ridicule.

I respond somewhat agitated.

You pick something out of my agitated response to further agitate me.

This back and forth then takes up the next 3-4 pages, forcing @El Duderino to come in here and say we should get back on topic and/or lock the thread because no one is talking about Onana.

jones

Captain Serious
I'll sum up the future of this conversation:

I mention a handful of strikers.

You post a mix of laughing emojis, some harsh language and ridicule.

I respond somewhat agitated.

You pick something out of my agitated response to further agitate me.

This back and forth then takes up the next 3-4 pages, forcing @El Duderino to come in here and say we should get back on topic and/or lock the thread because no one is talking about Onana.
Na you misunderstood I know I'm going to disagree with most of the names you'd post, I asked for a number. Even with your rating of everything that's new I'd be surprised if you said more than 5-6 strikers you'd put ahead of him which would firmly place him in the world class category

Dokaka

Na you misunderstood I know I'm going to disagree with most of the names you'd post, I asked for a number. Even with your rating of everything that's new I'd be surprised if you said more than 5-6 strikers you'd put ahead of him which would firmly place him in the world class category

I think it's a difficult comparison because Trezeguet didn't play as a lone CF which is completely different role than what he did back then. He was barely involved in the build up at all and spent all his time in the box.

FWIW didn't say he wouldn't be world class, was objecting to the idea that he would be "the best" when he's ostensibly just a slightly worse version of Haaland who isn't even the best right now.

jones

Captain Serious
I think it's a difficult comparison because Trezeguet didn't play as a lone CF which is completely different role than what he did back then. He was barely involved in the build up at all and spent all his time in the box.

FWIW didn't say he wouldn't be world class, was objecting to the idea that he would be "the best" when he's ostensibly just a slightly worse version of Haaland who isn't even the best right now.
He played as a lone CF, Del Piero was a classic #10 them days.

"Slightly worse version of Haaland" won titles and scored consistently in the strongest league ever, let's be real Haaland wouldn't score half as many 20 years ago as he does today nobody did. True that Trezeguet wasn't the smoothest on the ball but he was a reliable scorer and one of the greatest in the air where Haaland the donkey with all his height looks lost.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member

"Slightly worse version of Haaland" won titles and scored consistently in the strongest league ever, let's be real Haaland wouldn't score half as many 20 years ago as he does today nobody did. True that Trezeguet wasn't the smoothest on the ball but he was a reliable scorer and one of the greatest in the air where Haaland the donkey with all his height looks lost.
I watched the Unicef Soccer Aid game, Del Piero scored one of the goals, and that was an emphatic finish that simply showed that the class of the player was still there. Assist by Usain Bolt of all people....

Andy Linighan or Colin Pates?

Dokaka

Yeah this is why I can't really have this debate. Everything boils down to "football bad now, everything was better 20+ years ago" so nothing I say will really matter.

Also a bit much to call the Italian league back then the strongest league ever when literally no Italian team got out of the CL group stages in 00/01.

Haaland scored 52 goals while winning a treble. He scored 41 in 41 games for Dortmund in 20/21. He is almost averaging a goal per game for his career.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member

Yeah this is why I can't really have this debate. Everything boils down to "football bad now, everything was better 20+ years ago" so nothing I say will really matter.

Also a bit much to call the Italian league back then the strongest league ever when literally no Italian team got out of the CL group stages in 00/01.

Haaland scored 52 goals while winning a treble. He scored 41 in 41 games for Dortmund in 20/21. He is almost averaging a goal per game for his career.
If you stick Haaland in this Arsenal side, and the one last year, I'm pretty sure we'd be sitting on two league trophies.

Yes you may criticise his link up play, but he is such a clinical goalscorer, and we create so many chances...

Just look at the West Ham game where we lost. We peppered the goal, but couldn't put the chances away....

jones

Captain Serious

Haaland plays in an era where the game is going through a nadir in talent, where teams have abandoned defensive structure for high pressing, where what little talent there is is immediately snapped up by a handful of clubs and he plays up front for the by far richest team ever. He's still an exceptional striker obviously and a physical freak but there's no way he'd hit anything near those numbers 25 years ago.

How is this even an argument. Ronaldo managed 25 goals at his absolute peak in Serie A in 98 but Haaland would come in and score 50 no problem.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, July 24

Inter have reached an agreement with Jakub Kiwior [Gazzetta Dello Sport]

Real Sociedad midfielder Mikel Merino is keen on joining Arsenal this summer [diariovasco]

Leicester City have opened talks to sign Reiss Nelson on loan with an obligation to buy [Fabrizio Romano]

Total agreement reached for Calafiori, only the medical remains [David Ornstein]

Arsenal have made an enquiry for Juventus winger Federico Chiesa [SportItalia]

Latest posts

Top Bottom