• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikey2000

I don't see a reason why he cant do this from the left though. If you look at the most sucessfull teams over the last 5 or 6 years (Barca/Madrid/Liverpool/City to a certain extent), their primary goal scorers have played out wide.

I'd argue that they actually have more space to score goals, as they don't have to play with their back to goal as much against two CB's, and can make those out to in runs between fullbacks and Cbs.

I'm obviously not comparing their quality, but I see Auba's style on the left as similar to Ronaldo in the latter stages of his career, where he plays on the left, but main objective is to get into the box and score the goals. Having another center forward in the box occupies the CBs, which makes this easier for him IMO.

I do agree that creativity is an issue, but if we do move towards a 433, then I'd hope that would come from the two number 8s.

He's proved he can do a very good job from the left, no doubt, and against the right teams, ala Chelsea where they left copious amounts of space he can crucify them, but he also offers far less when teams sit deep as unlike a Ronaldo he is less creative, not a criticism, its just not his game, probably why we got Willian, so we can mix it up, at the moment if Auba isnt wide left we are relying on emerging talent to be consistent i.e Saka/Martinelli, i'd just rather see my main goal threat through the middle with something more creative behind and to the lw dept.

I'm not disputing the guy is elite, i just prefer my wingers as wingers and strikers as strikers....

GDeep™

League is very weak
Who said Lukaku is better? I know I said both are in the same category, which they are.

Lukaku is breaking records set by R9.

pikey2000

That's not a reason to mark a player down though, Henry is in the 1%, very few are running the length of the pitch and scoring without some luck involved, so yeah utterly completely ridiculous. That by no means makes you a limited player.

Aubameyang has taken on and beaten players many a time, might not lead to a goal but he does it, just takes a quick youtube search for those of you who have forgotten or miss it.

I recall him scoring a free kick or two in his time here too. Furthermore, Aubameyang is plenty inventive - quite a few of his goals is because he's tried something audacious and scores against the run of play. His bicycle kick against Olympiakos comes straight to mind. It's not like he gets a plethora of chances created for him like Giroud.

He virtually has no hold up play and very few headed goals for his height which are the only legit critisms I have seen, but with his skillset and attributes he doesn't need it, not every striker has to play like a big target man Vardy and Aguero don't.

Some things aren't worth debating cause people are just plain wrong sometimes. Like on this occasion.

Your exactly the type of person I was referring to, if someone disagrees with you they are "just plain wrong"

You acknowledge he has limitations with hold up play and heading, pick up one the one point you disagree with and then rubbish the whole discussion as that doesn't line up with your opinion.

You haven't been appointed judge, jury and executioner on all things football therefore you don't get to decide if my opinion is "just plain wrong" - it is only wrong in your opinion which is fine, because yes, you've guessed it, you are allowed your opinion without me deciding your are flat out wrong :)

I agree with you that he has scored some audacious goals but in my mind when i think of a player who could create something for themselves in a tight game where there isn't much space or time then i think of your RVP's, Bergkamps, Henry's, Ronaldo's, who were capable of the making something happening by themselves from nothing and IN MY VIEW that isnt something Auba has in his locker, i wouldnt call an overhead kick creating something from nothing, it still requires someone to deliver the ball into the box, he's just capitalised on that with the elite finishing I made mention of that you decided to ignore.

Either way I love Auba, he will do a job for us wide left if he needs to, still score stacks of goals, i just think he doesnt offer creativitiy in that role and therefore stifles us sometimes, we would go up another level offensively with a proper winger, Auba central and some creativity in behind imo.

Take it or leave it. No need to reply just to say you disagree, that is a given :).

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Who said Lukaku is better? I know I said both are in the same category, which they are.

Lukaku is breaking records set by R9.
A league where Ashley young still look top class :lol:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Auba's record speak for itself. He's in the same categories as Suarez, Lewa and Aguero. In the past several seasons.

Immobile is the top scorer in the Italian league :lol:

I'd rather have Laca than immobile. That tells you how bad the league is

GDeep™

League is very weak
Auba's record speak for itself. He's in the same categories as Suarez, Lewa and Aguero. In the past several seasons.

Immobile is the top scorer in the Italian league :lol:

I'd rather have Laca than immobile. That tells you how bad the league is
The 3 strikers you mentioned all play for top/super clubs and compete for the best trophies in the biggest matches.

Auba has never competed at such levels.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

The 3 strikers you mentioned all play for top/super clubs and compete for the best trophies in the biggest matches.

Auba has never competed at such levels.
And Auba is Outscoring the so called elite strikers at the best league in the world.

It's like as arsenal fans, we can't believe we can get good things. :lol:

I hope we sell him and get Lukaku. It would be glorious watching the meltdown on here :lol:

roz

Fake News Merchant
And Auba is Outscoring the so called elite strikers at the best league in the world.

I hope we sell him and get Lukaku. It would be glorious watching the meltdown on here :lol:
Lukaku is a fantastic footballer, don't really understand why some consider him a joke. Think he would be an amazing fit for us. More complete a player than Auba.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Nobody has even said Lukaku is better or they would rather have him etc. I don’t know what you’re getting worked up about.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Lukaku is a fantastic footballer

I think he's a very poor footballer, relies too much on his physical abilities...lacks the finesse the likes of Drogba had.

Think Auba is a smarter player too.

roz

Fake News Merchant
I think he's a very poor footballer, relies too much on his physical abilities...lacks the finesse the likes of Drogba had.

Think Auba is a smarter player too.
Really?
I think the complete opposite :lol:
Great touch and an extremely unselfish player who will always try to bring others into play and still gets lots of goals.

Actually think he doesn’t use his physicality to his full advantage which in my eyes is his biggest weakness but also a testament to him wanting to play football rather than bully players.

Quality player.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I think it is incredible how the finest goal-scorer we have had since Henry - our finest goal-scorer in modern times at least - is constantly damned with faint praise by the fans of a team which has just finished 8th in the Premier League.

Sometimes I half-wish he would leave to teach some people a lesson. Except of course I don't want him to leave.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Lukaku is a fantastic footballer, don't really understand why some consider him a joke. Think he would be an amazing fit for us. More complete a player than Auba.
Technically, they're about the same level. But in terms of goalscoring, Auba is a level above.

Lukaku has only ever had scored 20+ goals in a top league twice in his career FFS.

Meanwhile...

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lukaku is breaking records .
You didn’t, roz did - but you did say you didn’t rate Auba.
Yeah because all the kids care about these days is pace and numbers a la Fifa.

Lukaku is a better footballer than Auba.

If we could do a straight swap and they were foolish enough to agree Id be delighted

Lukaku got way too much stick when he was at UTD, he’s not bad - but come on there’s levels. Italian league is banter at the moment.

I don’t buy into the whole Auba being a limited striker thing it’s nonsense.

Last edited:

roz

Fake News Merchant
You didn’t, roz did - but you did say you didn’t rate Auba.

Lukaku got way too much stick when he was at UTD, he’s not bad - but come on there’s levels. Italian league is banter at the moment.

I don’t buy into the whole Auba being a limited striker thing it’s nonsense.
I stand by that. Lukaku has age on his side and suits a team that wants to play attractive football. Its no coincidence Aubas best games come where we sit deep and counter which is great IF we want to play like that but we dont.

Im still unsure as to whether its the right thing to do in extending Aubas deal.

That said, would be delighted to be proven wrong in the next 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom