• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBL

Established Member
Glad he scored the pen but I don’t want him to ever take one again for us if Lacazette is on the pitch.

He’s quite a poor penalty taker.
Agreed, good that he scored today and got his confidence back but Lacazette should absolutely be the penalty taker if they're both on the pitch. 17/24 isn't really a good record at all.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Now the remaining fixtures against lower quality teams need padding up his goal stats and finish top scores he just one goal behind Aguero

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Glad he scored the pen but I don’t want him to ever take one again for us if Lacazette is on the pitch.

He’s quite a poor penalty taker.

Yeah defo praise the balls on him, big game and proved something.

But by god his penalty technique isn't great, having flipped quickly through Lacazette's spot kicks he has it nailed on, hard into a corner so I hope Laca will take them from now on.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I always wonder when we break away and he is 1 vs 1 with a defender why he
Never just kicks it past them and use his pace?
Seems to be lacking confidence recently. Which is weird because he is probably one of the more arrogant people in the league.. and so he should be with his scoring stats.

Gunner-Union

Seems to be lacking confidence recently. Which is weird because he is probably one of the more arrogant people in the league.. and so he should be with his scoring stats.

You might be right but even before he just never seems to take a defender on with his pace. I wondered if he was as fast as I thought but you see him sprint to track back or on the breakaway without the ball and he’s def fast

blaze_of_glory

On MOTD2 Shearer was pointing out how Auba never looks at the ball during his run up. Quite strange, not sure how many players do that. Seems his thinking is that he can both fool the keeper by looking at where he's not going to shoot while approaching the ball, and also adjust at the last second if he sees the keeper moving one way or the other. But also I would think that's why he doesn't strike the ball that hard for his pks, because theres a risk of wiffing pretty badly if you try to hit with power but aren't looking at the ball.

By contrast, Shearer said that when he took penalties, he'd stare at the opposite corner from where he was going before the ref blew the whistle, but once he started his run up he just focused on the ball the whole way and just hit it into the corner he chose pretty much as hard as he could.

edit: found a clip of Auba that shows this.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The goal would have done a lot for him. He'll never be a huge presence in the approach - he's the tip of the sword, not the shaft.

He has been quite poor lately but I expect him to score a hatful more before the season finishes.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
On MOTD2 Shearer was pointing out how Auba never looks at the ball during his run up. Quite strange, not sure how many players do that. Seems his thinking is that he can both fool the keeper by looking at where he's not going to shoot while approaching the ball, and also adjust at the last second if he sees the keeper moving one way or the other. But also I would think that's why he doesn't strike the ball that hard for his pks, because theres a risk of wiffing pretty badly if you try to hit with power but aren't looking at the ball.

By contrast, Shearer said that when he took penalties, he'd stare at the opposite corner from where he was going before the ref blew the whistle, but once he started his run up he just focused on the ball the whole way and just hit it into the corner he chose pretty much as hard as he could.

Guy in the vid is wrong. He's using peripheral vision when he strikes the ball so he can see both ball and keeper.. It's enough when you've taken a million pens in training. Shearer is right when he says he doesn't look at the ball during the run up though.

blaze_of_glory

Guy in the vid is wrong. He's using peripheral vision when he strikes the ball so he can see both ball and keeper.. It's enough when you've taken a million pens in training. Shearer is right when he says he doesn't look at the ball during the run up though.
Actually you can see him almost glace down right as he strikes, so you're right he probably sees the ball peripherally when he hits it. Still I wonder if this approach leads to him striking the ball with less force or if that's just how he is.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Jep that’s why he doesn’t get much force on it.

Hazard does it too!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Actually you can see him almost glace down right as he strikes, so you're right he probably sees the ball peripherally when he hits it. Still I wonder if this approach leads to him striking the ball with less force or if that's just how he is.
I think he's just going all-in on the dummy, so feels it doesn't matter how hard he hits it. Not my cup of tea tbh, and I hate watching him take pens. I couldn't look yesterday. I turned over, flicked back 5 minutes later and squinted at the top left corner of the screen to see if the shape of the one changed to a squiggly shape of a two... As you do. :lol: It'd have broken me had he missed.

blaze_of_glory

I think he's just going all-in on the dummy, so feels it doesn't matter how hard he hits it. Not my cup of tea tbh, and I hate watching him take pens. I couldn't look yesterday. I turned over, flicked back 5 minutes later and squinted at the top left corner of the screen to see if the shape of the one changed to a squiggly shape of a two... As you do. :lol: It'd have broken me had he missed.
Yeah I looked at the screen the way Auba looks at the ball during that :lol:

So nervous, if he had missed you just knew they were going to score soon after.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Favourite video on the psychology of penalty taking. The way he did it is the best style.

Picking a side and blasting it is way riskier than his method.

He just has to be brave and not take his eyes off the keeper like he did last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom