• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Iceman10

Established Member
I don't think it's wild to think he's hitting a bit of a decline, a decline doesn't have to be entirely physical. Happens at his age. Imo just play him up top and let him do what he does best. We have better options out wide but not up front. Seems simple to me.

One of the differences I would highlight between Auba and Özil, among other things, is I don’t really think Auba has declined physically, at least not significantly, so I just see it differently, although it is somewhat subjective. When it comes to Laca and Auba it is about form. Auba has had bad patches this season, but if form is taken out of it I do still consider Auba the better striker, at least for now. I think the comments from @Blood on the Tracks are right also. Every player, or at least most, has strengths and limitations. When Auba is not clinical attention goes on other parts of his game, but that has pretty much always been the case.

254Giant

Player:Partey
It's frustrating to watch him lately. There's some huge crucial games to come that we'll need him to fire them in. If he delivers in those important moments I'll forget this whole **** run he's on. He's been so disappointing.

Iceman10

Established Member
If he's not scoring goals he will always look crap.

Nothing to see here. He's a natural goalscorer and will be banging them in again soon.

The plan that seemed to be gaining momentum was selling Laca this summer for a new CF who would compete and push Auba more for the lion’s share of starts. There is no reason to think that plan should be changed, at least not yet, especially as it is in part linked to another contract situation, this time Laca’s contract.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don’t want to quibble, but your bit with anecdotal on pressing isn’t really adequate. The game has changed with the way teams play out from the back and the idea is to try to suffocate them, especially in the first half. This needs intense coordinated effort across the attacking unit, lead by the CF. There was a good video from earlier in the season when Martinelli led the press and inspired players alongside him to pressure and force the opposition into mistakes. We (Arsenal) have had problems playing out from the back, but that isn’t just on us, it is also a product of what the opposition does on us and what we need to similarly do to them. There was commentary in the first half (WHU) that Ødegaard really wanted to press but the unified committed effort across our front line was not there, and so it doesn’t work because easy channels and space arises to beat any disjointed press from us. In general though pressing is one area where Laca is better than Auba, but only one, not finishing.

(btw, maybe with this I am also stumbling on a reason why we often don’t look good earlier on in matches, and why the NLD was an anomaly because Spuds surprisingly did not press from the opening whistle)

Recently since Ode come in , he is the guy or the 10 that triggers the press and he steps in ahead of the CF. Does laca press better than Auba , I honestly can’t see a discernible difference. But Lacas lack of stamina is well known all the way back to his Clairefontaine days

say yes

forum master baiter
The plan that seemed to be gaining momentum was selling Laca this summer for a new CF who would compete and push Auba more for the lion’s share of starts. There is no reason to think that plan should be changed, at least not yet, especially as it is in part linked to another contract situation, this time Laca’s contract.
Don't think anyone is seriously going to push Auba for the starting role. He's our captain, arguably our best player and is on a massive salary.

If we replace Laca at all (Martinelli could get his minutes), I reckon it will be with a younger rotation / backup option. Main issue with Laca is his contract situation / high salary for a backup at a EL club.

Iceman10

Established Member
Recently since Ode come in , he is the guy or the 10 that triggers the press and he steps in ahead of the CF. Does laca press better than Auba , I honestly can’t see a discernible difference. But Lacas lack of stamina is well known all the way back to his Clairefontaine days

Bit tired where I am and have to get some sleep really so I can’t put much effort into a counter, but would just say this is one of those things if you polled Arsenal fans on Laca vs. Auba on the “pressing” issue it would overwhelmingly go Laca’s way. Still, it wasn’t showing too much with this latest match (Laca), granted, there was just a collective team issue early on.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Their definitely seems to be an issue going on. Before his late arrival and punishment he was starting to score and was looking more like the real Auba. He's always been poor on challenging for the ball but we dont normally complain because he scores goals. Yesterday for me was his worst performance in an Arsenal shirt, he just wasnt involved. Even when Laca scored our 3rd and Auba was walking around the pitch, he didnt jump for joy or react in anyway, it was only when Laca ran at him that he joined in the celebrations. There were reports last week that he left the ground 25 mins after the whistle, he was clearly upset and I think he still is. Now he has to perform or Arteta must drop him. A sulking player is no use to anyone!

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
If he's not scoring goals he will always look crap.

Nothing to see here. He's a natural goalscorer and will be banging them in again soon.
That is the problem.

He is a great goalscorer, shxt footballer.
We need a team of great footballers. Goals will come if you play good football.

If he is a goal scorer, who will look crap when not scoring goals. Then why not replace him with a goal scorer, who will contribute in a lot in the build up play when not scoring goals?

Poachers are shxt.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Don't think anyone is seriously going to push Auba for the starting role. He's our captain, arguably our best player and is on a massive salary.

If we replace Laca at all (Martinelli could get his minutes), I reckon it will be with a younger rotation / backup option. Main issue with Laca is his contract situation / high salary for a backup at a EL club.
Someone will always push for it, but only if the manager allows it. He plays atm only because of his status at the club and other players can't get their chances to impress.

I'm not worried at all if he gets dropped, we clearly play better football without him and other players are contributing with goals and combine much better.

He is still physically sharp so there is a chance he turns this season around, especially if we win the EL and he plays a key part in it. If that doesn't happen, we'll see questions about his contract over the summer, and the same goes for Arteta

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Auba we know is largely ineffective in games he does not score.

However, the only reason we are still in Europe because of him. FA Cup and the goals to beat Benfica.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Never liked his playing style. I can just about tolerate him when he’s scoring. When he’s not, he’s an absolute nightmare to watch.

He’s also losing stamina and barely runs the channels anymore. Should be dropped and used as an impact sub for the next few games.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
That is the problem.

He is a great goalscorer, shxt footballer.
We need a team of great footballers. Goals will come if you play good football.

If he is a goal scorer, who will look crap when not scoring goals. Then why not replace him with a goal scorer, who will contribute in a lot in the build up play when not scoring goals?

Poachers are shxt.

Auba's job is to score goals. Over the best part of a decade he's proven that he's at the elite level at it.

Good luck finding a striker that is as prolific as Auba, also contributes a lot to build up play. Will be in budget in terms of transfer fee and wages and would want to move here.

The shortlist will be very, very short, in fact there will probably be no-one on it.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
He’s like a modern day Inzaghi but faster and slightly better on the ball. If he doesn’t score he’s a liability for how poor he is as a modern day footballer it wasn’t so obvious in previous seasons when he scored for fun.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Are people really turning on Auba? My god.

He's just in bad form, that's it, he's still got 9 in 24 league games despite being largely off this season and I think not starting against Sp*rs really knocked his rhythm.

Plus playing him on the wing against West Ham was just plain dumb (sorry Arteta) and at this point we hamper him if he plays on the wing.

He'll be back soon.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Are people really turning on Auba? My god.
tenor.gif

Top Bottom