• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He was never what you’d consider captain material. Fair enough he lead by example a few times but his personality isn’t that of a captain. That’s no criticism either, it’s just the way it is.

Xhaka or Luiz should be our captain. Maybe Tierney if we want someone longer term.
The guy who tells the supporters to f*ck off and tosses the armband? Yeah, let's go back to that. :lol:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
The guy who tells the supporters to f*ck off and tosses the armband? Yeah, let's go back to that. :lol:

Tossing the captains armband is more common than you think, often brought on by frustration- this at least shows you care.

We behaved appallingly towards him. He shouldn’t have reacted the way he did but he gets constant stick from us. He’s still more captain material than Auba IMO.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Tossing the captains armband is more common than you think, often brought on by frustration- this at least shows you care.

We behaved appallingly towards him. He shouldn’t have reacted the way he did but he gets constant stick from us. He’s still more captain material than Auba IMO.
Who is "we"? I didn't do anything to him. I never abused him on social media (nor would I) and I'm sure the majority of the people in that stadium on the day never did either. A few knobs saying dreadful things is not a reason to behave how he did that day and to this day never have apologized for it. Plenty of players get vile stick on social media. His behavior was immature and stupid. Regardless, he's already had the armband and done a piss poor job with it. We've seen that movie. Being a better captain than Auba is a pitifully low bar. Instead of looking to go from awful to bad, perhaps we should actually display some ambition and go for real solutions. The guy who has already demonstrated that he doesn't give a damn about respecting the badge is not the guy we need to be looking to as captain. That sends a ridiculous message. There shouldn't be a new permanent captain until it's someone who has both the ability and professionalism that warrants being the first name on the XI, not players we should be looking to get rid of. At present, we should only be looking in the direction of Saka and Tierney(if he can show he can stay fit for any length of time), maybe Gabriel. No sense in letting someone who has already failed in the role and been stripped of it be captain again. I know we've become a laughing stock but ffs there must be limits.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arteta would’ve been better advised to work Nelson into the team if he wanted options at LW. He’s an even better fit there than Martinelli but we’ve wasted a chance to build up his value while simultaneously shoehorning an unmotivated Auba into the side.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Just think if there’s a chance to sell him this summer, even if it’s at a loss we take it.

His deal will hamstring us at a critical time where this club will be reaching an important juncture (mid table mediocrity or trying to get back into the top 4).

There was absolutely no plan as to how he was going to be used when he was signed. So it would be better for us and him along with Lacazette to move on. Martinelli will be 20 this year, so a perfect age to start getting games up top with a new striker to compete with.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Had to check that I was in the thread of our most prolific goalscorer. Sell him? 🤣 This place sure picks it’s victims. I’d sooner get rid of the manager than Aubameyang for the simple reason that he’s proven beyond question that he cuts it at this level.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Had to check that I was in the thread of our most prolific goalscorer. Sell him? 🤣 This place sure picks it’s victims. I’d sooner get rid of the manager than Aubameyang for the simple reason that he’s proven beyond question that he cuts it at this level.
Most of the people want to see him playing CF or bench, which is reasonable, so no need for overreaction.

Selling is not an option, not that we need him that much, more like there wouldn't be any buyers, just like there wasn't any for Özil.

Think it's also reasonable to expect that he will start to decline, and the talk about giving massive contracts to players at the end of their careers will happen again, no doubt about it.

In defence of Auba, he can still save this season with some heroics in the EL, the same goes for Arteta

Jae

I love Auba but he's been utter gash this season. So far below the high standards that he's set for himself.

I think him playing LW is just an excuse to be fair. He's proven he can score whatever position he plays. The problem is when he's not scoring he does absolutely nothing else to contribute 90% of the time.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Who is "we"? I didn't do anything to him. I never abused him on social media (nor would I) and I'm sure the majority of the people in that stadium on the day never did either. A few knobs saying dreadful things is not a reason to behave how he did that day and to this day never have apologized for it. Plenty of players get vile stick on social media. His behavior was immature and stupid. Regardless, he's already had the armband and done a piss poor job with it. We've seen that movie. Being a better captain than Auba is a pitifully low bar. Instead of looking to go from awful to bad, perhaps we should actually display some ambition and go for real solutions. The guy who has already demonstrated that he doesn't give a damn about respecting the badge is not the guy we need to be looking to as captain. That sends a ridiculous message. There shouldn't be a new permanent captain until it's someone who has both the ability and professionalism that warrants being the first name on the XI, not players we should be looking to get rid of. At present, we should only be looking in the direction of Saka and Tierney(if he can show he can stay fit for any length of time), maybe Gabriel. No sense in letting someone who has already failed in the role and been stripped of it be captain again. I know we've become a laughing stock but ffs there must be limits.

By "we" I meant Arsenal fans. He was loudly booed and jeered that day and of all our players he's one of the most criticised- obviously. I haven't abused him on social media either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it absolutely does and it happens to Xhaka quite a lot. I did say his reaction still wasn't warranted but I understand it, even though you may not. It's harsh to say he doesn't give a damn about respecting the badge, he respects our club and takes pride in playing for us. His one rush of blood to the head doesn't undo that.

I also understand if you wouldn't like to see him re-appointed as captain too, that's fair enough. I just feel he's a better fit than Auba, incident and all. Saka is an interesting shout, he's Arsenal to his core but I'm not quite sure he has leadership qualities. Tierney would be an obvious shout but like you say, he picks up a fair share of injuries. Gabriel is someone I could get behind too.

MikeVinna

Established Member
CF or bust. Just use anyone who can actually do something with the ball at his feet on the LW. Pepe, Willian, ESR, Martinelli, Nelson are all better on that flank.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Auba is just one of a few players whose stock is going to plummet while playing for a manager who struggles to get the best of the majority of his players.

Our fanbase is failing to make the (what I thought was obvious) link between the majority of your senior players struggling and the manager not being experienced/proven.

Fans won’t be happy until everyone is out and it’s just Tierney, Saka, ESR and Arteta.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I see Neville was talking about him on MNF and reckoned his performance fell off because of the whole “late for a meeting” issue and was talking about some dressing room clique potentially phoning it in.

Said the club has to either back the manager or keep all these supposedly valuable players happy. First time these guys seem to be wavering on Arteta tbh.

Out of the two I’d back Arteta for now, Aubameyang has apparently had a problem with being late repeatedly. I do think calling players out in public is something the club needs to clamp down on though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Still feel he can be very useful, just have to get him through this bad patch and use him correctly...this is his first really bad period since he has been here, before that it was just a mad amount of goals considering how much we declined as a team...feel he deserves a little trust.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I see Neville was talking about him on MNF and reckoned his performance fell off because of the whole “late for a meeting” issue and was talking about some dressing room clique potentially phoning it in.

Said the club has to either back the manager or keep all these supposedly valuable players happy. First time these guys seem to be wavering on Arteta tbh.

Out of the two I’d back Arteta for now, Aubameyang has apparently had a problem with being late repeatedly. I do think calling players out in public is something the club needs to clamp down on though.
You could probably make a case for all of the front 3 being against Arteta. Auba might feel aggrieved over the timekeeping thing, we know how Pepe's been treated and even Lacazette might be iffy now since he's not been offered the new contract he is looking for.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I love Auba but he's been utter gash this season. So far below the high standards that he's set for himself.

I think him playing LW is just an excuse to be fair. He's proven he can score whatever position he plays. The problem is when he's not scoring he does absolutely nothing else to contribute 90% of the time.

What was the overall output of our attack as a team though? His conversion rate was unsustainable, and like you mentioned he didn't have anything else in his locker to fall back on. The minimum requirement for a winger should be an ability to pass and dribble, so playing him wide left, especially this version of him, is self sabotage.

The last time he played regularly at LW to some degree of success we set up with 3 a the back and used wingbacks to provide the width. That allowed Auba to play more as an inverted forward, than in this current system, but it also required the CF (typically Laca) to be the main reference point for linking midfield and attack.

We don't need him to do that with Ødegaard or ESR as number 10.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Fans won’t be happy until everyone is out and it’s just Tierney, Saka, ESR and Arteta.
I try to avoid player threads I like nowadays cause it's an eyesore more time - but I am quoting this for truth :lol:

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Let's just play him in the ****ing CF position, and maybe we can see him where we should be seeing him, in and around the opposition box.

Obviously I don't want to sell him. His form is awful, but he can score goals, and naturally won't do that as much when half of his games have him rooted in left back.

I'm not gonna make excuses for his work rate off the ball, but i do understand it must feel pretty bad having to track back all game when you have shown every year that you will be in the golden boot conversation if you're operating anywhere near the goal.

GoonerJay24

Auba doesn't appear to have the character to lead a big club like Arsenal.

However people who say he didn't put in a shift on Saturday are wrong. I've watched back the game he was continually working back and in defensive positions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom