• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Auba has nothing to apologise for in public. This is an internal matter. Arteta made it public because you have to explain why your main player and captain is missing a NLD.

You only apologise for on field issues or extreme off field misdemeanours.

Legend14

Established Member
Well that's up to Auba really. Acknowledge his mistake as the club captain, start over fresh and become the club legend that he said he wanted to be. Alternatively he can let it become a far bigger issue than it needs to be and potentially ruin his legacy here in the process.

I've seen nothing in his time with us to indicate that it wouldn't be the first option and I'm confident this will be all forgotten pretty soon. His choice though.
Why put Auba in a poor public light? Arteta states that this type of sh*t should be behind closed doors. Recall, he went on a witchhunt to find players who aired dirty laundry. Then, he airs dirty laundry. He could be perfectly justified in holding Auba out of the game, more than likely this isn’t a first offense given the extreme punishment, but he needs to be consistent in what is kept in house.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Why put Auba in a poor public light? Arteta states that this type of sh*t should be behind closed doors. Recall, he went on a witchhunt to find players who aired dirty laundry. Then, he airs dirty laundry. He could be perfectly justified in holding Auba out of the game, more than likely this isn’t a first offense given the extreme punishment, but he needs to be consistent in what is kept in house.
If Arteta says nothing and we get beat everyone would he calling for his head for leaving out our best attacker. He got this one spot on. If Auba can't handle being called out for making a mistake, as club captain, then that would say more about him than Arteta for me.

Again though I hold a much higher opinion of Auba than for that to happen and am confident this won't become any bigger an issue. I'm pretty sure it will have been discussed internally whenever they are next in for training and a line drawn under it. In fact Arteta said as much in his interview before the game.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Auba has been silly and I've no issues with Arteta dropping him but I wish the reasons had been kept in house. We had months of leaks and this opens that door again. If the Willian covid breach hadn't looked like it had been brushed under the carpet, this would be less of an issue. Double standards don't sit well. We move on.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Arteta for me got this spot on. I haven't been one of his biggest fans this season but for me he did the right thing.

Everyone knows a fit Auba starts. If he says its precautionary in terms of injury he wouldn't be on the bench. If he says its tactical we think.....thats rubbish and if we don't win the calls for Arteta to be out will be rampant.

By stating the issue he is letting Auba know and every other player that he will not take the bullets for him. Let's not forget. Mikel sanctioned time of for Auba when his mother was ill. Now we all would do that but he probably gave him abit more time than some may have.

Auba is the captain. He's lived in London long enough to know the traffic situation. It is unlikely its his first offence.

The fact that Auba stormed off straight after the match shows he probably feels hard done by. What is worse for him is the win shows that we can win without him and the manager made a call and it came off.

Hopefully they can all get back to being best of friends again.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Auba has been silly and I've no issues with Arteta dropping him but I wish the reasons had been kept in house. We had months of leaks and this opens that door again. If the Willian covid breach hadn't looked like it had been brushed under the carpet, this would be less of an issue. Double standards don't sit well. We move on.
I'd rather he just said he had a tight calf or something too tbh; nothing whatsoever to lose by saying that and keeps everyone sweet. I dont really see what there is to gain by disclosing minor stuff like this. Just get the story straight with Auba--as long as he's happy to go along with it if asked about it--and move on. Still, no real problem. But then if you don't want people to know you keep turning up late, then get to ****ing work on time. Tbh, if theres one thing I can't stand and refuse to understand, it's poor time-keeping. It's just so sloppy.

With regards to the Willian comparison, I don't think it's the same and wouldn't want a one size fits all approach to discipline. Willian done something in his own time unconnected to his professionalism whereas Auba as captain is setting the worst example as a pro you could set imo.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'd rather he just said he had a tight calf or something too tbh; nothing whatsoever to lose by saying that and keeps everyone sweet. I dont really see what there is to gain by disclosing minor stuff like this. Just get the story straight with Auba--as long as he's happy to go along with it if asked about it--and move on. Still, no real problem. But then if you don't want people to know you keep turning up late, then get to ****ing work on time. Tbh, if theres one thing I can't stand and refuse to understand, it's poor time-keeping. It's just so sloppy.

With regards to the Willian comparison, I don't think it's the same and wouldn't want a one size fits all approach to discipline. Willian done something in his own time unconnected to his professionalism whereas Auba as captain is setting the worst example as a pro you could set imo.
Agree with you apart from the fact Willian took a trip that could have had far worse results if he'd infected a team mate or any random person. Auba being late won't kill anyone

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Double standards don't sit well.
Willian deal needs to be seriously investigated. Started off kind of tongue in cheek but it’s getting silly now.

As for Mikel I just hope he knows what he’s doing and doesn’t alienate another player. I feel like respect is earned not given and Mikel seems to demands quite a lot of respect for someone who has us sitting in tenth.

I understand those who agree with his decision but personally I’m not a big fan of authoritarian types, particularly when they haven’t earned their stripes so to say.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I feel like respect is earned not given and Mikel seems to demands quite a lot of respect for someone who has us sitting in tenth.

tenor.gif

Remember that Auba was clownin' around at Dortmund back when we were interested in getting him, so he seems to be comfortable now that he's got the golden goose and thinks he's got the higher ground.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

After thinking about it:

- It's a bit disappointing from Auba but no Biggie, if he gets his head down and uses this to motivate him then great.

- Kudos to Arteta, it was a brave call but it paid off and is huge to instilling a good culture.

- Probably shouldn't have been made public like that but well I guess it's too late now.

- Auba should definitely keep his captaincy, no questions.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Willian deal needs to be seriously investigated. Started off kind of tongue in cheek but it’s getting silly now.

As for Mikel I just hope he knows what he’s doing and doesn’t alienate another player. I feel like respect is earned not given and Mikel seems to demands quite a lot of respect for someone who has us sitting in tenth.

I understand those who agree with his decision but personally I’m not a big fan of authoritarian types, particularly when they haven’t earned their stripes so to say.
My only regret is it was clearly done to embarrass Auba. Players are late all the time but this becomes news before the Derby.

There are rumours that AMN and Nelson are repeat offenders when it comes to lateness but the important thing is they remain rumours. Not in-depth tell all’s in the Athletic.

The same fixture against Sp**s in the Europa league finals - we never hear of this let’s be real.

10th in the table, this to me just seems an opportune time to flex and it came off beautifully.

For the record, Arteta was right for what he did, but the power play was obvious to me. Hopefully running the ting like a school teacher doesn’t bite him in the bum and Auba proves people wrong with his professionalism going forward.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
My only regret is it was clearly done to embarrass Auba. Players are late all the time but this becomes news before the Derby.

There are rumours that AMN and Nelson are repeat offenders when it comes to lateness but the important thing is they remain rumours. Not in-depth tell all’s in the Athletic.

The same fixture against Sp**s in the Europa league finals - we never hear of this let’s be real.

10th in the table, this to me just seems an opportune time to flex and it came off beautifully.

For the record, Arteta was right for what he did, but the power play was obvious to me. Hopefully running the ting like a school teacher doesn’t bite him in the bum and Auba proves people wrong with his professionalism going forward.
I've been one of Arteta's staunchest critics, I feel justifiably and fairly. I don't see this as a powerplay at all. You cannot have your club captain repeatedly doing stupid things without consequence. Virtually everyone on this forum would agree that a total lack of discipline has been the biggest contributor to this club's downfall across 3 managers now. The inmates cannot be running the asylum. If the manger behaves like a meek little ***** and lets Auba walk all over him then that's the beginning of the end. Others will think they can straggle. A good manager is probably hardest on the star player to send the message that if they can be criticized and held to account, so shall everyone.

Let's not forget the violation of covid protocol all of 3-4 weeks ago. It's not a power play to draw a line in the sand when a player who occupies a role that should make him THE standard of professional behavior at the club starts taking the piss. Nobody needs a f*cking tattoo during a pandemic. That was stupid and embarrassing to the club. To then follow that up with apparent repeated lateness when you are the top earner and club captain is disgusting and you deserve to be embarrassed publicly.

You mention AMN and Nelson allegedly being repeat offenders and look and see where they are with relation to playing for this club. Professionalism is the absolute minimum that should be demanded from a footballer and when your captain decides that he doesn't need to uphold those standards then he also doesn't need to be shielded from the public embarrassment of there being consequences for his actions. You know how you avoid being embarrassed publicly? Being a f*cking professional and turning up to your job that pays you insane money on time. Very simple. More players seem capable of it than not.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

The manager decides who plays and who doesn't. That's literally his job description. If a manager can't decide not to play someone who is not showing respect for his job then what good is it paying a manager? Just slap Gunnersaurus in a gimp suit on the touchline and quit the pretense of being a serious football club.

Top Bottom