• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I've been one of Arteta's staunchest critics, I feel justifiably and fairly. I don't see this as a powerplay at all. You cannot have your club captain repeatedly doing stupid things without consequence. Virtually everyone on this forum would agree that a total lack of discipline has been the biggest contributor to this club's downfall across 3 managers now. The inmates cannot be running the asylum. If the manger behaves like a meek little ***** and lets Auba walk all over him then that's the beginning of the end. Others will think they can straggle. A good manager is probably hardest on the star player to send the message that if they can be criticized and held to account, so shall everyone.

Let's not forget the violation of covid protocol all of 3-4 weeks ago. It's not a power play to draw a line in the sand when a player who occupies a role that should make him THE standard of professional behavior at the club starts taking the piss. Nobody needs a f*cking tattoo during a pandemic. That was stupid and embarrassing to the club. To then follow that up with apparent repeated lateness when you are the top earner and club captain is disgusting and you deserve to be embarrassed publicly.

You mention AMN and Nelson allegedly being repeat offenders and look and see where they are with relation to playing for this club. Professionalism is the absolute minimum that should be demanded from a footballer and when your captain decides that he doesn't need to uphold those standards then he also doesn't need to be shielded from the public embarrassment of there being consequences for his actions. You know how you avoid being embarrassed publicly? Being a f*cking professional and turning up to your job that pays you insane money on time. Very simple. More players seem capable of it than not.
There was absolutely zero need for sky sports to know that Arteta laid down the law tbh.

The punishment was fine, but must win match where Arteta’s job is on the line, we don’t hear about this.

Dortmund isn’t brought up.
Captaincy isn’t brought up.
Auba’s tinfoiled lambo isn’t brought up.

Just my opinion.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
There was absolutely zero need for sky sports to know that Arteta laid down the law tbh.

The punishment was fine, but must win match where Arteta’s job is on the line, we don’t hear about this.

Dortmund isn’t brought up.
Captaincy isn’t brought up.
Auba’s tinfoiled lambo isn’t brought up.

Just my opinion.
You're certainly entitled to it. I just don't see what you want the manager to do when asked why his captain and top scorer isn't playing a derby match? Is he supposed to lie to cover for a player who has just turned up late to a derby match? How does he credibly tapdance around the question? I'm not excusing him being in 10th place or the myriad of stupid things he's done this season but I find it difficult to fault a guy giving an honest answer to a question rather than ducking it or lying to protect an unprofessional player. Maybe the bad publicity will manifest some shame and a bit of pride in the job that frankly hasn't been on display since the ink dried on the big boy wages.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You're certainly entitled to it. I just don't see what you want the manager to do when asked why his captain and top scorer isn't playing a derby match? Is he supposed to lie to cover for a player who has just turned up late to a derby match? How does he credibly tapdance around the question? I'm not excusing him being in 10th place or the myriad of stupid things he's done this season but I find it difficult to fault a guy giving an honest answer to a question rather than ducking it or lying to protect an unprofessional player. Maybe the bad publicity will manifest some shame and a bit of pride in the job that frankly hasn't been on display since the ink dried on the big boy wages.
Players are late up and down the league, captains in football have done far worse. The guy was late at the end of the day and it was dealt with.

I am disappointed in Auba, but something that we didn’t really have to know about is now used as an excuse to bring up the salary or the armband..just a bit of a shame all round really.

Minor though, I reckon Auba bounces back anyways. Hopefully the public punishment was worth it but time will tell.

Iceman10

Established Member
In the latest Charles Watts YouTube I see it being said that Laca starting with Auba on the bench would not have been a major surprise and hence everything could have been kept private. One thing I would say about that is if Mikel felt he had no choice but to discipline the player and the result had not gone our way a lot of fans would be pointing to Mikel’s selection, not knowing the real reason why. I don’t think that would be fair, it is Auba who has to take personal responsibility. This is not a primary reason for why the club had to go public. I am fine in setting an example for sake of overall culture in the dressing room. All accounts are this wasn’t Auba’s first transgression and it appears other players seem to approve of the action taken.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

tenor.gif

Remember that Auba was clownin' around at Dortmund back when we were interested in getting him, so he seems to be comfortable now that he's got the golden goose and thinks he's got the higher ground.
Yeah, Auba seems to be a happy go lucky kind of guy. Seems the type to be like “ah sorry I’m late” and mean it, rather than being a bit of an entitled diva.

The good thing is I don’t think he’s the type to hold grudges or anything so this should be fine.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The manager decides who plays and who doesn't. That's literally his job description. If a manager can't decide not to play someone who is not showing respect for his job then what good is it paying a manager? Just slap Gunnersaurus in a gimp suit on the touchline and quit the pretense of being a serious football club.
Don’t really disagree but punishment isn’t always the answer is it? Willian seems to have benefited from that.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Why would Aubameyang hold a grudge? Hes an adult who turned up late on match day, I highly doubt he is going to throw his toys out of the pram over this, it appears he has a problem with being late repeatedly, the lateness would have been discussed with him prior to NLD if its a repeat offense, he continued to arrive late so Arteta went to the next step.

Personally I think going public is correct, if private discussions didnt work with hin maybe this way will.

Its all minor anyway, he didn't exactly John Terry someones missus.

This happens to Troy Deeney or Joelington no one gives a ****..

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Willian deal needs to be seriously investigated. Started off kind of tongue in cheek but it’s getting silly now.

As for Mikel I just hope he knows what he’s doing and doesn’t alienate another player. I feel like respect is earned not given and Mikel seems to demands quite a lot of respect for someone who has us sitting in tenth.

I understand those who agree with his decision but personally I’m not a big fan of authoritarian types, particularly when they haven’t earned their stripes so to say.
The Willian deal would be fine if we saw his form at Chelsea but we've seen little to nothing for a lot of money and the promise of the same or worse for another two years. I quite liked listening to Henry last night. He talked about having to forget what he did as a player and put his ego aside. His experiences at Monaco and Montreal have shaped him somewhat. Arteta is having that experience here! He needs to be careful what he makes public. Alienating Auba would be fine if Mbappe was already signed up but fingers crossed that this blows over.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think you need to give star players some leeway, Arteta should understand that he was just pissed from being (correctly) dropped for the derby, nothing should be be made of this (provided Auba works on his lateness in the future)

It's up to both Pierre and Mikel to resolve this amicably, no point treating Auba like a child for having pride/emotions.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Because it's public knowledge, it was the moment Arteta stated the reasons were disciplinary
The only thing that's public knowledge is that it was disciplinary. The whole being late thing is a rumour until either Arteta or Auba confirms it. So until then, he has nothing PUBLICLY to apologize for.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Was an interview with Ståle Solbakken the other day here in Norway. When he was coaching FC Køln, he and his assistant manager used to have a bet on how rapidly the team sheet would be leaked to the press. The quickest was 5 minutes after the squad knew.

It is hard to keep these things internal these days. I think Arteta could easily have come in a situation where he would have been confronted with putting the matter under the carpet so to speak.

The manager shouldn't need to tell his captain to be on time for the North London derby, but the best is to move on now. Lesson learnt, hopefully, if not by Auba...then hopefully by everyone else.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Making something out of nothing that I reckon. Imagine this turns into another Özil where he sits on the bench for the rest of his contract 🤕
What I was basically trying to say without saying it.

With his salary and shiny cars along with his age and the emergence of young players who are fan favourites, Auba is an easy target.

Some fans like the authoritarian approach but it isn't always necessary and doesn't always work out - you could end up creating a monster.

Two different characters however so I trust Auba will be back to his cheery self.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
The manager shouldn't need to tell his captain to be on time for the North London derby, but the best is to move on now. Lesson learnt, hopefully, if not by Auba...then hopefully by everyone else.

I'm sure he will improve his match day timekeeping but some people just cant stop with being late, I get it, its not hard, he should be professional, show respect for peoples time etc but I swear being late is just built in some people.

I dont think he mischievously does it or does it out of spite, he knows what time to be there, but again some people are just ****ing late for everything; weddings, parties, late for school, work etc

You could put a ****ing clock flava flav style around there neck and they're still late!

Everyone knows someone who is notoriously late for everything, they're just so laid back they dont get how to get to place on time.

Apparently Kanu got driven from his house to Portsmouth every day in a van with a bed in the back of it and he was still late.

You just cant help these type of people :lol:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Don’t really disagree but punishment isn’t always the answer is it? Willian seems to have benefited from that.
I'm not excusing him not punishing Willian either. I'm positive I'm on record as being irritated by the lack of punishment for Willian. Having said that, the captaincy role warrants a higher standard and you're talking about one alleged indiscretion with Willian versus multiple with Auba.

Keplaz

Amy Lawrence has said Willian was punished for something recently. I reckon he deals with them internally, but it may have been once too many times for Auba.

I know people think other players get special treatment but I don't believe it. I think he deals with them all the same, and dropping Auba for the NLD shows this.

If he wasn't fair to everyone he wouldn't be able to drop Auba like he did, because it would be a meaningless gesture. But this shows no one gets preferential treatment. If Arteta shows any hint of partiality then it no longer works.

Top Bottom