• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

OSBK

Established Member
If he stays let's just last season was a blip

We have had more blips than a radar mate over the years. Every year a different player and every year its accepted. Regardless of tactics or management if any player playing for pep or klopp didnt put 100% in everyday and gameday they wouldnt be on the bus.

For this i blame arteta, letting them mess around on training all the insta stuff before and after games and not commanding the respect. They dont even call him manager.

There has to be fire inside auba, he has to show it next season. Regardless of playing position or how he feels, he has to show the fans he cares. I dont buy into this limited player rubbish, guy can run and tackle and fight for the ball.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

We have had more blips than a radar mate over the years. Every year a different player and every year its accepted. Regardless of tactics or management if any player playing for pep or klopp didnt put 100% in everyday and gameday they wouldnt be on the bus.

For this i blame arteta, letting them mess around on training all the insta stuff before and after games and not commanding the respect. They dont even call him manager.

There has to be fire inside auba, he has to show it next season. Regardless of playing position or how he feels, he has to show the fans he cares. I dont buy into this limited player rubbish, guy can run and tackle and fight for the ball.
I agree with the sentiment. Some players don't work hard enough. Özil was example 101. Aubameyang seems cut from the same cloth. We've a history of these players unwilling to work hard when the sun isn't shining. But when Artera does his non negotiable talk he is mocked, even though he is absolutely right. Pep not Klopp not Ferguson would accept anything other than 100% effort. If you're not playing well you still put the work in. Hopefully we see a more determined Auba and last season is a blip. He has been a 20 a season player for a long time. At this stage I'd take that and a bit more endeavour when things aren't going right.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son

The culture of messing around on instagram etc pervades arsenal itself. Look at the admin on the club's instagram account/ youtube and the amount of unfunny crap they post trying to look cool or with it. No one gives a **** about what drip players are wearing or any of the **** they post on their stories.

I had a look at Man United's instagram account and they were a lot more stoic by comparison.

Not that this all means anything in the grand scheme of things, but I guess its shows the culture within the dressing room.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I think Auba will only be done once he really starts to decline physically. So far haven't seen any noticeable difference in his speed, acceleration, stamina etc. So the question we have to ask is what has changed which has resulted in him scoring a lot less than he has done in previous years.

Let's not forget this is a guy when purely looking at goals is unquestionably elite.

Before last season started:

He scored more goals than any player in the PL since he joined us. Remarkable stat considering the likes of Salah and Kane were scoring for fun during these times.

Quickest Arsenal player to score 50 goals.

Only three players in premier league history have a better minutes per goal ratio than him

Before last season he scored 25 goals or more in each of his last 6 season. That is under 5 or 6 different managers which shows he isn't really too dependent on a particular system or style...as long as your team creates chances. When we mostly dominated with possession focused football under Wenger, he scored a lot. Under Emery's less possession based and more direct football, he scored a lot. Initially under Arteta's invite pressure and hit on counter attack tactic he was scoring a lot. Crucially when teams figured that out and we just couldn't create anymore he started to score less.

Which shouldn't really surprise anyone. He was getting barely one shot a game. No forward in the world can work with such lack of opportunities. Yes, we can maybe say Auba is part of the problem we can't create. That might well be true, but that was never his game. He will give you elite number of goals.....just get the ball into the final third.

Instead what did we do early last season? Play incredibly deep, line up Auba on the wing. Meaning he was playing almost like a LWB. I saw his heat map when we were on that dreadful run. I still can't believe who in their right mind would play a forward who is putting up such unbelievable stats in terms of goals but ends up chasing opposition fullbacks. He was literally making more defensive actions than having shots :facepalm:
I'm answering you here as it should probably be in the Auba thread. I appreciate he's scored a lot of goals in the past but I'm more interested in what he's likely to do in the future. I don't think we did play possession based football towards the end of Arsène's reign and the direct football you cite under Emery is effectively the same thing as the counter attack style we were playing under Arteta (Arsenal capitalise on transitions), the various versions of Dortmund all played very transition heavy football. I'd argue he hasn't been part of a team that looks to dominate with the ball, I've seen all his goals and a big, big proportion of them are counter attacking goals that end in tap ins or more difficult right foot finishes. I recognise he has been extremely effective and produced the goods for a number of years and that things must have changed in Auba and his environment to precipitate the player we saw last season and I even agree we did little to help him by playing him in the specific lw role he played at the start of last season. That said I'm not that interested in trying to precisely science out the minutiae of what's changed and I'm more interested in looking at what the tools are he has to aide Aide Arsenal from the cf position moving forward.

His pace is definitely less of an issue for teams now, in terms of top speed I still think he's got gas but there's a clear decrease in the number of times he's able to produce it every game. Something else I think is mostly ignored is that he's not even a tool to facilitate breaks any more, whenever the ball is played up to him or into space ahead of him he's almost completely useless, the ball never progresses to anything dangerous as his touch/final ball/passing/strength/ dribbling are not up to snuff. We still associate Auba with breaks as he tends to finish from breaks and I think this was true the season before last as well. I would argue there are essentially 3 situations Auba is useful in now 1. arriving early in the box to finish a break 2. arriving late in the box on his right foot just after the defence has been pushed back by a break 3. short runs off the shoulder of the cbs limited evidence. Every other aspect of a pure cf's play he is average or poor at- his left foot is average/poor, his noggin is average/poor, his hold up/ ability to compete for 50's is trash tier, his passing short or long is poor, he doesn't score goals on the half turn, he's slow to change direction. If the ball breaks in the box I don't fancy Auba to react first and find the back of the net with what ever body part he has to use so in that sense his poaching ability is average. He's not just a limited player, he's a limited finisher. I thought exactly the same as many on here last season- that we needed to make the situations for Auba and that was the problem but watching him at striker again I felt I realised how he was limiting our possibilities.

Two things need happen if he's to start scoring again, he needs to pick his shooting form up off the floor and we need to make situations like the ones i enumerated earlier for him. Imo the trouble is that even if we start making those situations for Auba again I don't think that striker or set up is much to shout about, we want a more varied threat that will take us to leagues. It's a non issue anyway as he is old, it's his last contract and he will have to be replaced.

So that's my essay on Auba, it seems it's a sensitive subject here so just keep in mind it's only an opinion.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think Auba had the braids again today...not looking good for our captain this season, worried for him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
What's that got to do with anything

Wasn't his best look last year, tbh...

40987944-0-image-a-13_1616783206749.jpg

The amount of times I get insulted on here, but have to look up the meaning of the word :lol:

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
I agree he’s limited but there’s no denying a hungry, happy Auba who doesn’t have malaria and a sick mother can be an asset.
That’s a lot of (accurate) ifs, and missing “aging well.”

We shouldn’t have given a pacy, technically deficient striker a fat new deal in his 30s. Full stop.

Like “we should sell Alexis this summer,” this is one I’m annoyed to have been right about.

Alexs

With hindsight, yes, although his is the least bad recent mega-deal.

I'll take it of course but our last FA Cup win gave Auba £39m and Arteta the grace to learn his trade at our expense.

No more big, long contracts to the over 30s even if it means Laca walks, like Ramsey. Chelsea don't did it, we used not to.

Lokonga and Tavares seem sensible signings but if rumours are true, overpaying for England's C team is not a good strategy either.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom