• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

All relative as I hope he picks up form but if not and the other two are flying I think you’ve got to pick the best XI that’ll win you each match.
I don't think Auba is undroppable but benching him for Martinelli and Lacazette cause they run around isn't good enough.

But my perspective is coming from I don't think it's Aubameyangs fault entirely tbh.

He's getting chances now which he wasn't before so it should improve, but sailing double digit crosses towards his head then benching him when it doesn't work - I don't know about that one.

He's still one of the top strikers in the league, but recency bias is kinda putting a dampener on that sadly.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I disagree. Expected goals is based on a number of variables such as type of assist, shot angle and distance from goal, whether it was headed, whether it was defined as a big chance or not in order to assess how clinical a player is. It looks deep into the quality of the chances. And if a striker is over performing it means that they are finding the net in difficult scoring situations. In other words it’s not being put on a plate for them by their team mates.

Take, Son Min’s goal against us. He was a long way out, the assist was given to him not far over the half way line and he scored from well outside the box. Opta would say he had no right to score that, but he did. Now it could be that he’s very lucky, but this is a cumulative 4 year stat which sort of rules that out.

But xG is still just a metric to measure how well a player does with each shot he takes. There is no correlation to having great xG output and chance creation. Kane is 2nd on that chart above the likes of Messi, Mbappe and Salah. What that shows is that Kane has been more clinical than those players in the last 4 years. It doesn't show that Kane needs things put less on a plate than those players. That would be factually wrong, those 3 players need their team mates far less than Kane does to create a chance. Kane might score from more improbable angles and half chances then them but he still needs to receive the ball fairly close to goal for him to score. Those players don't need that

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Is there an argument for dropping him for a game or two if Laca and Martinelli pick up form?

No one should be undroppable. For me he has gone off the boil because we started playing him in a role that wasn't suited for him. And drove his confidence into the ground. (Strikers live on goals, the longer they go without the harder it gets for them). Last few games he is playing in the right areas, close to goal. He just haven't been able to rediscover his finishing touch yet. If after a few games he is still not producing then I don't think anyone can complain if he is benched. Everyone has to contribute.

Don't be surprised though if he starts to bang them in again. Won't be long then when people start calling him too good for us or one man team again. Us fans can be very fickle.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

No one should be undroppable. For me he has gone off the boil because we started playing him in a role that wasn't suited for him. And drove his confidence into the ground. (Strikers live on goals, the longer they go without the harder it gets for them). Last few games he is playing in the right areas, close to goal. He just haven't been able to rediscover his finishing touch yet. If after a few games he is still not producing then I don't think anyone can complain if he is benched. Everyone has to contribute.

Don't be surprised though if he starts to bang them in again. Won't be long then when people start calling him too good for us or one man team again. Us fans can be very fickle.

Yeha think he’ll be back. Just meant short term if they gave us a better chance of winning.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Reading this thread you'd legitimately think Auba was an OAP using a walker.

He's 31, in his prime years FFS. He's going through a fairly rough spell, some form related, some on Arteta I think. It's a matter of time before he starts banging them in again.

He'll be netting 20+ goals for a number of seasons yet.

Reactions: A_G

Iceman10

Established Member
Reading this thread you'd legitimately think Auba was an OAP using a walker.

He's 31, in his prime years FFS. He's going through a fairly rough spell, some form related, some on Arteta I think. It's a matter of time before he starts banging them in again.

He'll be netting 20+ goals for a number of seasons yet.

As some have picked up in the match thread he’s not really a CF for Arsenal, his pressing work rate and link up play is not to that level, but that’s just him, not decline. He still gets into good positions to have at least 2-3 clear cut chances per match, but he’s going to have to rack up those goals either from the left or right of the pitch.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

As some have picked up in the match thread he’s not really a CF for Arsenal, his pressing work rate and link up play is not to that level, but that’s just him, not decline. He still gets into good positions to have at least 2-3 clear cut chances per match, but he’s going to have to rack up those goals either from the left or right of the pitch.
Pace and finishing isn't a CF for Arsenal? but
What??

Kmt this is why Mikel makes me tired, he's a terrorist man.

Iceman10

Established Member
Pace and finishing isn't a CF for Arsenal? but
What??

Kmt this is why Mikel makes me tired, he's a terrorist man.

It’s really not been much difference for 10+ years at Arsenal really, without the link up the CF too often gets isolated, particularly against oppositions that play strategies of sitting back against us. Pressing has become more critical over last three seasons or so with PL teams playing out more from the back and the CF having to lead from the front with the pressing game.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Can't watch this guy anymore, need to seen a player lose this much form. He's so poor when he's doing any other than scoring and now the goals dried up patient is wearing thin.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Can't watch this guy anymore, need to seen a player lose this much form. He's so poor when he's doing any other than scoring and now the goals dried up patient is wearing thin.
He always played like this though, just used to nick goals at a decent rate. Horrible footballer to watch.

I dont think i have ever seen a worse combo than Maitland-Niles and Auba tonight.

Aubameyang has been horrible since that FA Cup Final. He doesnt doesnt contribute anything. Horrible.

novar

Arteta has successfully ruined our attack so much this guy can barely influence the game. A motivated Auba like today used to be involved in 2 goals and win us the game (or get us a 2-2 draw), Aubameyang today could only made a couple of crosses nobody connected and a tame shot that surprisingly none of you are calling a "big chance" so at least you're improving a bit.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
He was still as isolated on the left last season as he is now but he was so clinical to counter it. Now he's either not getting the chances or taking the very few that he does get. I wanted to see him up front but in this system that has been proven to clearly not work. Don't know where we go from hear with him.

mpower2540

There was a moment in the first half where he actually showed a bit of drive and beat his man. What gets me is that he doesn’t even try half the time. He just gives it back to where it came from, sign of a guy with no confidence at all.

GoonerJay24

He was still as isolated on the left last season as he is now but he was so clinical to counter it. Now he's either not getting the chances or taking the very few that he does get. I wanted to see him up front but in this system that has been proven to clearly not work. Don't know where we go from hear with him.

In games like this he should really be played as a striker

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
In games like this he should really be played as a striker
Until he was actually used through the middle I would have said the same but it's been proven that he doesn't offer anywhere near as much as Laca does with the way Arteta wants the striker to play.

Top Bottom