• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The poor bastard, he's been blinded by the lucre to willingly walk into the belly of the beast. If he lives to a ripe old age this will be a hilarious story to tell the grandkids :lol:

Wryer

Yet another high stakes player who gets thrown into the deepest end, with immense expectations to salvage the season.

We always do this and we always set the player up to fail.

I love this signing, but the way and circumstance we are bringing players in inevitably gives them no reasonable room to adjust comfortably. It's a very unhealthy, evil, self consuming cycle.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the PEA.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
f8f55066163bc2e08c435f627962d9d1.jpg

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
Would anyone say that Swansea's defensive players are amazing? No. The fact is, we just need to drill and organise the defence. A decent defensive coach is a far more important signing than any players. We need better coaching and for Wenger to delegate more. It's no coincidence that our players come back from an international break and actually play better.

Toast

Established Member
It's great that we've bagged a top class player, but there are a lot of question marks hanging over this transfer.

First of all, where will he play? Does he replace Lacazette or will he play alongside him? If it's the former, was upgrading our striker really the right priority this window? If it's the latter, will it actually work? How often do you see a top side with two out-and-out strikers up top? Usually one of the two will take up a supporting role and neither Lacazette nor Aubameyang seems particularly suited for that role. Lacazette will drop deeper on occassion, but he's not exactly useful when he does. Perhaps one of the two will play on the wing, but then why not just buy an actual winger instead?

Secondly, does he actually fit our style of play? He's played like a poacher, making runs in behind for a counter-attacking Dortmund side, while we very often build up very slowly and pass it around the box in confined spaces with little room for runs in behind.

Thirdly, any formation that fits in all of Mkhitaryan, Özil, Lacazette and Aubameyang, whether it's 4-3-1-2, 4-2-2-2, 4-4-2 diamond, all see us line up without any width. Lack of width has been a problem for a while, but all these lineups certainly don't seem to solve that problem. We're now a team full of players who want to stay within the tramlines. The lack of width could be mitigated to some extent by having very attacking fullbacks, but that would leave us open to the counter even more so than usual. Moreover, having both fullbacks bomb forward only really works if you've got a CDM who's comfortable dropping back between the CB's to form three at the back when the FB's go forward. We don't have a player like that, bar perhaps Elneny - but then he's not of the right quality.

Will we see a change in formation and tactics? Will Aubameyang or Lacazette manage to adapt their game to make it all fit or will this be yet another case of us opportunistically buying a square peg, albeit an excellent one, to fit a round hole?

A great signing, but one that seems to create more problems than it solves. Let's hope it all works out somehow and he starts banging in the goals. We'll need it.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Seeing how little of the ball Lacazette sees, I'm really starting to doubt what impacts PEA can have even if he is twice the player. Only way I see things changing is if we actually utilize two strikers, but that'd leave the midfield an even bigger mess...

Edit; just realised this was in the Arsenal section. Great to see it finally done, weird how we've made our biggest profile signing since Özil when we fell out of top 4 and in January. Hope he can have an Arshavin like effect this year.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I wrote this at some point last week when everyone was saying we've still time to pull this off.

The worst case scenario was us losing to Swansea and then pulling out this deal. At least it was all but confirmed before the Swansea game so it doesn't look reactionary but the obvious question will now be why not pay up earlier and have him available for today? The good will that was built up by beating Chelsea hammering Palace and the slip ups by Liverpool and Sp**s has been used.

WizardOfAus

I don't understand why the transfer thread was locked!

Arsène says this at the end of the video :(

"lets make that happen soon because its not over the line yet but hopefully it will be done tomorrow"

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I don't understand why the transfer thread was locked!

Arséne says this at the end of the video :(

"lets make that happen soon because its not over the line yet but hopefully it will be done tomorrow"

This, plus I expect Auba to plead insanity after last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom