• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Maybe. But it's also of a tactical nature. Emery wants slow build up. That's nothing bad per se, it's e.g. a trademark of Lucien Favre who's tearing the Bundesliga a new one this season with Dortmund. The crux is just how to create space in the final third now that you've pushed the opposition back. Having certain kinds of players certainly helps, but it can be done with average guys as well, something the mentioned Favre has shown at Gladbach and Nice. In that case it's more about implementing triggers and patterns for movement and passing, which is something this team has lacked under Wenger and is still lacking under Emery.

But also looking at Favre again, his slow build up definitely works better the better and more natural wingers he has at hand. But I'm not too sure Emery and Favre is a good comparison bar both using slow build up. Emery seems to tend to a more narrow setup and width mainly provided by the fullbacks, whereas Favre's wingers stay wide until very high up the field.
I get what you're saying. Favre's system works because the players are drilled and are intelligent enough to play his system. They are also technically decent. Emery hasn't managed to implement a system in six months. Is that down to him or the players? Take Kola for example. He's been good going forward but he's not a natural winger and lacks the intelligence in some situations to do better especially defensively. We also have a few players who are not up to it technically. This makes it hard to play slow as they're poor in possession and not great at moving the ball quickly either! We need to upgrade our squad.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I get what you're saying. Favre's system works because the players are drilled and are intelligent enough to play his system. They are also technically decent. Emery hasn't managed to implement a system in six months. Is that down to him or the players? Take Kola for example. He's been good going forward but he's not a natural winger and lacks the intelligence in some situations to do better especially defensively. We also have a few players who are not up to it technically. This makes it hard to play slow as they're poor in possession and not great at moving the ball quickly either! We need to upgrade our squad.

You cannot really argue against some upgrades being needed. But even defensively I say this is a tactical problem and one of organization more than anything else.

progman07

Established Member
Auba can improve of course, but for me it's sad to see the fans take time on criticising a player who has done the most (or 2nd after Torreira) during the season. Last two seasons we had a striker capable of competing for the golden boot was in 2013-14 (RvP), before that it was 2007-08 (Adebayor).

OK, he is not perfect, he misses easy-looking chances, but let's be sure about this - it's very difficult to regularly get into those positions game after game, only top quality players are able to do that. He is not an upgraded Walcott (as some would suggest), he is a machine who can consistently beat every kind of defender to get into goal-scoring positions, he has the touch, the agilty, the intelligence and confidence Walcott never had.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
You cannot really argue against some upgrades being needed. But even defensively I say this is a tactical problem and one of organization more than anything else.
Agree but I do think that some players cannot be improved by coaches. They made be good for a while but eventually they always let you down.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Auba can improve of course, but for me it's sad to see the fans take time on criticising a player who has done the most (or 2nd after Torreira) during the season. Last two seasons we had a striker capable of competing for the golden boot was in 2013-14 (RvP), before that it was 2007-08 (Adebayor).

OK, he is not perfect, he misses easy-looking chances, but let's be sure about this - it's very difficult to regularly get into those positions game after game, only top quality players are able to do that. He is not an upgraded Walcott (as some would suggest), he is a machine who can consistently beat every kind of defender to get into goal-scoring positions, he has the touch, the agilty, the intelligence and confidence Walcott never had.
RVP was receiving 50 crosses a game for Moyes by then. Agreed that Auba has been class since the day we brought him in. He's not perfect, but he's super far from the problem

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Don't understand how he is so weak. He's 6'2, but gets bullied off the ball by everyone.

em9999

My rainbows
May sound crazy but i would sell him he offers nothing to the team apart from converting one in five chances

Over rated

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We really don't play to Auba's strengths. Sometimes I wonder how much better he'd look at City or Liverpool. Am frustrated for him.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
May sound crazy but i would sell him he offers nothing to the team apart from converting one in five chances

Over rated

Its just a ridiculous suggestion really isn't it. He's the top scorer in the Premier league, we are not playing to his strengths, but he is responsible for most of our points.

So yeah, crazy. Or attention seeking contrarianism.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Alexis went through the same on here... The more he did, the more criticism he got. Yeah, weird board, this. Top scorer in the league, so we should sell him at once. Literally the one bright spot of our season so far... BURN IT!!!

What he clearly needs to do is get injured every other week, get the flu when he's not injured and do sweet fvck all when he's on the pitch. He'll have people screaming for the managers head whenever he was dropped if he did that.

Crack on AM.

progman07

Established Member
Strikers especially like Auba suffer in disjointed teams. Is it his fault? Nope. We know his skillset, why should we expect him different things? We do not expect Xhaka to run behind defenses either.

He is world class at what his strengths are, let's not judge him on what he does in the middle 3rd of the pitch. Play 3 good passes behind the defense, and he will score 1-2 out of it. There was a golden opportunity for Iwobi to put him clear in the first half, but he failed the pass.

blaze_of_glory

Alexis went through the same on here... The more he did, the more criticism he got. Yeah, weird board, this. Top scorer in the league, so we should sell him at once. Literally the one bright spot of our season so far... BURN IT!!!

What he clearly needs to do is get injured every other week, get the flu when he's not injured and do sweet fvck all when he's on the pitch. He'll have people screaming for the managers head whenever he was dropped if he did that.

Crack on AM.
Alexis was awesome for us, most of the criticism was due to him fighting with his team mates and generally having a **** attitude.

But yeah, Wenger did take him to incredible levels for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom