• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win PL: Arsenal 2 - 1 Aston Villa | Wednesday 31st August 2022 | KO 19:30 BST | BT SPORTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

0_Arsenal-blog.png

1498374F-4694-4645-BA5D-637F74334805.jpeg

Predicted line up for them (considering no injuries in their game today):

3F9EB2E7-40DF-44AF-B91D-5AE45C850DFF.jpeg

Our team should be (6 players should be enough to beat that side):

0351503D-46F4-485A-A197-0D72BBC5BB78.jpeg

In all seriousness, they’ve definitely got quality in their side but we should have enough to beat them. I’d go with the same team as yesterday (if Zinchenko is fit then he comes straight back into the side) but possibly go with Eddie and Jesus together in place of Saka as I’d give him a rest before OT on Sunday, lad looks fatigued.

Going for a 3-1 win and once Saliba goes full Diego, the celebration police will be out in full force 🚨🚨🚨

A2E2B5DB-87FB-4F50-AD51-31140159450C.jpeg

rockofcashel

The big difference so far this year.. is the sheer intensity the team are starting with..

Someone told me a few years ago, that Klopp demanded his team have a shot on goal, within the first 20/30 seconds of the game starting.. even if it was just a wild effort.. just to set the tempo

We're pushing that now.. kind of a get at them, rather than "feeling our way into it".. thats what I'd love to see Sunday.. setting the tempo right from the off

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
The replay was pretty clear it was a dive

The pen was arguably the other guy that was holding his shirt before Saka decided to go and flop in front of Mings

Melquiades

It was a foul on Ramsdale but it was quite a clever one tbh.

In that situation Ramsdale has to be a bit less honest / naive and force the referee to give the free kick.....Throw yourself on the floor.

As soon as a GK does that the refs going to blow.

Yeah, this is the thing with having a young keeper. If we had some grizzled vet in goal he probably does exactly that.

I would think Ramsdale learned a lesson from this and won’t make the same mistake again.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
The replay was pretty clear it was a dive

The pen was arguably the other guy that was holding his shirt before Saka decided to go and flop in front of Mings

There was me thinking Mings had deliberately impeded Saka by picking him up and throwing him to the side, didn't realise Saka had been studying floatonomics with Dhalsim in the off-season, I guess it really was a dive after all!

Well spotted, lad.

rockofcashel

View attachment 9034

Two arms clearly around his back. Even if you want to argue about strength, it's a clear attempt at impeding using his arms to hold and did successfully keep Ramsdale in place.

If he just stood there then sure, but the arms make this call clear as daylight. This was botched.

Course it was.. referees with countless years and games of experience.. couldn't see what some lad online can

Wounded Healer

My suggestion to villa for next games is to hold all of our players really strongly and send their keeper to score, and if the referee even suggests a foul they should hold him too and take his whistle.
If it works for corners it should work for games too.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

That could very easily have been given.. Mings clearly has him held.. his fall was a bit overdone.. but it could have been given.

Would I have given it.. probably not

Well that's literally all I need to know to not take your opinion on penalties seriously.

rockofcashel

Do you know what an appeal to credentials fallacy is?

I do

Do you know what the Dunning Kruger affect is?

Forget about my credentials.. what makes you believe you know more than experienced referees who know the Laws of the Game intimately

That's a genuine question.. do you actually believe, refs are out to get Arsenal?

Dj_sds -

Forget about my credentials.. what makes you believe you know more than experienced referees who know the Laws of the Game intimately

Because it is a well known fact that PL referees are inconsistent and make mistakes? You're response to riou, who literally posted a picture of the player holding ramsdale, was also very clownish for someone with your "credentials".

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I do

That's a genuine question.. do you actually believe, refs are out to get Arsenal?

If there's anything to be learnt over the last two years it's that the "experts" have been horribly, painfully and consistently wrong.

I know my statement has little to do with football but this line of argument doesn't hold any water for me anymore.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I do

Yes, its the first port of call of the struggling pseudo intellectual, for those reading who don't know; its the cognitive bias whereby someone of low ability perceives themselves as having a higher ability in the given area.

The irony here is that when the pseudo intellectual uses this as an attack, its a sort of intellectual fool's mate. Works against idiots, but not against those who are competent. Fool's mate, by the way, is the embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger Effect within chess, where you underestimate your opponent and get battered for it, much like you've done here. They are additionally discounting the fact that they could be suffering from it themselves.

Best way to avoid this effect (and logical fallacies such as "I'm a ref bruv") is to appeal to the evidence/rules, and not your credentials or your confidence.

As an aside, an interesting quirk of this effect is that it also appears to work in reverse - those of higher ability have a tendency to underestimate their abilities relative to the mean. Examples of this would be thinking that if X task is easy for me it must be easy for everyone, which may only be the case for people of your level and above.

Anyway. Instead of telling us that you've reffed matches, perhaps you could refer us to the rulebook where it refers to this sort of situation?

Last edited:

rockofcashel

Yes, its the first port of call of the struggling pseudo intellectual, for those reading who don't know; its the cognitive bias whereby someone of low ability perceives themselves as having a higher ability in the given area.

The irony here is that when the pseudo intellectual uses this as an attack, its a sort of intellectual fool's mate. Works against idiots, but not against those who are competent. Fool's mate, by the way, is the embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger Effect within chess, where you underestimate your opponent and get battered for it, much like you've done here. They are additionally discounting the fact that they could be suffering from it themselves.

Best way to avoid this effect (and logical fallacies such as "I'm a ref bruv") is to appeal to the evidence/rules, and not your credentials or your confidence.

As an aside, an interesting quirk of this effect is that it also appears to work in reverse - those of higher ability have a tendency to underestimate their abilities relative to the mean. Examples of this would be thinking that if X task is easy for me it must be easy for everyone, which may only be the case for people of your level and above.

Anyway. Instead of telling us that you've reffed matches, perhaps you could refer us to the rulebook where it refers to this sort of situation?

This situation, is covered in Law 12, Section 2. Indirect free kicks.

The text applicable is the following:

IMPEDING THE PROGRESS OF AN OPPONENT WITHOUT CONTACT

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

(As you can see from the above two paragraphs, the Villa player had the right to stand where he did, so long as he didn't move to impede Ramsdale getting to the ball. You can watch the replays as often as you like, he didn't move to impede Ramsdale. He simply held his ground. No foul.

The following paragraph of the Law is below.)

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

(If you wish to make the point, that by putting his arms around his back briefly, Ramsdale was fouled, you could as easily counter argue that Ramsdale reaching both his arms around the Villa players shoulders, was impeding the Villa player.

In neither case, was either player "held", ie neither had hold by the hand of a shirt or body part, eg the arm.

Ramsdale was simply caught behind the body of the attacker, and was unable to get past him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom