• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Southampton | Saturday, November 23 | 15:00 GMT

What result are you hoping for in this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Would put him below Klopp for sure, who now I must say is the best manager in the world.
Right now yes, but Klopp is so energy driven that things may blow up in his face one day.

If he can sustain this level like Guardiola has then he will become a hall of fame'r. Its crazy how he transformed so many meh players into an elite side.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

We let a team we should be filleting get a point at Highbury and dominate us at times. Appalling. Considering all the attacking talent on show we should have got 4 or 5. Özil was good in spurts nd certainly more combative than is his wont, Bellerin still not 100%, his poor crossing was decisive.

All said and done though that was probably the worst refereeing performance I've seen this season against us, even the Atkinson shambles was better. The guy got things consistently wrong and gave them the advantage on 50/50's at maybe 10 to 1 to them. Just look at the fouls count compared to the card count. He'd never have allowed that rolling foul if we'd scored it and that conditioned the game.
That referee was the ****ing worst! Right from the start you could see he was going to give us grief and have one standard for them and another for us. It was just a question of time until he would call a pen. Was actually expecting a red at one point through two yellow cards. What a ****ing tool!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

We regularly allow 20 odd shots on our goal.

Yesterday we allowed 21 shots on our goal. Against Watford we allowed 31 shots. Against Frankfurt in the next game they had 24. Wolves had 24 shots.
We are so easy to get chances against it is unreal. Just look how we labor to get shots in and how easily our opponents cut us open. Our midfield is just a total shambles.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Even the "new Stoke" Burnley have a better goal difference than us...

Never seen Arsenal finish with a negative goal difference before...Emery heading towards things I have never seen, credit for that!

thierrytheking14

No it wasn't...

49116138822_42684ecfff_m.jpg
What nonsense of a stat picture have you thrown in here?

kanooo

Not only was Laca’s “celebration” strange, but there were also other signs that the players don’t even want to fight for Emery anymore.

Even before the goal in injury time , it kinda looked like the players were extremely disinterested to try to score the equalizer. Seemed as if they just wanted to stop already.

oh, my dear Arsenal. Bad times really.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We are so easy to get chances against it is unreal. Just look how we labor to get shots in and how easily our opponents cut us open. Our midfield is just a total shambles.

We aren’t set up to press effectively from front to back, which was one of the reasons I thought Emery was brought here in the first place

Riou

We aren’t set up to press effectively from front to back, which was one of the reasons I thought Emery was brought here in the first place

Don’t really have many players that can press tbf...Auba and Pepe don’t have the intensity, none of our midfielders can really bar Joe and he doesn’t play...Laca and Lucas can, but they gas out quite quickly really.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Don’t really have many players that can press tbf...Auba and Pepe don’t have the intensity, none of our midfielders can really bar Joe and he doesn’t play...Laca and Lucas can, but they gas out quite quickly really.
There's a misnomer that you have to have amazing athletes to press. You really don't. An effective press is more about coordination than raw exertion. The reason our attempts to press don't work is that they're both ill coordinated and disjointed. Emery would often deploy Xhaka as the deepest midfielder but have him spearheading the press when we lost possession rather than drop back to his position. You have to either press from the front or not at all. We don't have Gilberto and Vieira to destroy play at the halfway line anymore. Whoever the DM is has got to be part of the secondary press, not the initial press or all that happens is the midfield gets overrun and the shaky defense is open for the taking. It's not that these players can't press. It's that the manager has no idea how to organize them to do so effectively.

Riou

There's a misnomer that you have to have amazing athletes to press. You really don't. An effective press is more about coordination than raw exertion. The reason our attempts to press don't work is that they're both ill coordinated and disjointed. Emery would often deploy Xhaka as the deepest midfielder but have him spearheading the press when we lost possession rather than drop back to his position. You have to either press from the front or not at all. We don't have Gilberto and Vieira to destroy play at the halfway line anymore. Whoever the DM is has got to be part of the secondary press, not the initial press or all that happens is the midfield gets overrun and the shaky defense is open for the taking. It's not that these players can't press. It's that the manager has no idea how to organize them to do so effectively.

I look at our current squad and it just looks so weird to me, we have no real stand out traits to rely on...normally a team needs to gear towards either favouring physical attributes or favouring technical attributes, with our best teams having a great mix of both...right now, we don’t have anything really :lol:

I agree that better coaching would make us look better, so a new manager would make a difference.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Overall our play is just poor. If it is playing out of the back, how we press etc. I can honestly not find any area where we really are doing a good job as a team.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Not only was Laca’s “celebration” strange, but there were also other signs that the players don’t even want to fight for Emery anymore.

Even before the goal in injury time , it kinda looked like the players were extremely disinterested to try to score the equalizer. Seemed as if they just wanted to stop already.

oh, my dear Arsenal. Bad times really.

Seriously though, how long have we watched the current squad not be arsed for results? It has been happening since most of them joined. They were doing it under Wenger too. It is a managerial problem, but it isn't just Emery. We need someone who will whip these jokers into shape, they clearly aren't motivated.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

High press is a more intense way to play though. That organization takes focus and stamina. That's why Klopp's early seasons at Liverpool showed a big drop-off in second half performance.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
High press is a more intense way to play though. That organization takes focus and stamina. That's why Klopp's early seasons at Liverpool showed a big drop-off in second half performance.

You do have to have a certain physical level to consistently press, sure, but @Batman is right in that a press is only usefull when your pressing system is working in itself and the whole team does what they're supposed to do - be it complete front to back press or a more subtle, situational press in which you may let the opposition play through your first line and only viciously press with the second line, etc. - but it does start and end with coordination.

Also, mental focus is something you can make your players better at or help make it easier for them to stay focused by using easy triggers and clear patterns.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I agree with all of this especially the part in bold.

Just to add, that many sides (not just the smaller ones) circumvent the press by hitting it long or switching play laterally. You also need capabilities of winning the first ball in those situations or at least making it difficult for opponents to bring the ball down and lay it off.

We have absolutely no clue how to engage in those situations.

m-due

I went on a quick vacation before the game build up and afterwards. I’m glad I didn’t even bother to look for this game. Wake up Arsenal, this is not right at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom